    just toss this computer out the window which I'm just about ready to
    do? Thanks for any help.
    , Feb 10, 2008

  2. philo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi, I wrote a post a week ago about my computer: basically I can't
    > even get into Windows now, it just goes to the "set up" screen where
    > it asks you if you want "safe mode" or regular windows; no matter what
    > I pick, the screen reboots right back into the same screen. I can't
    > get into any mode of windows. It's Windows xp on a dell computer. No
    > one had an answer how to get out of that screen.
    >
    > I realized I'm just going to have to reinstall windows. Of course, I
    > can't even do that now because I can't get out of that screen. Is
    > there anyway to reinstall windows via that set up screen? Or should I
    > just toss this computer out the window which I'm just about ready to
    > do? Thanks for any help.

    You do not re-install windows by booting to it...
    you need to boot from your recovery CD.

    Before you do that...
    youmay want o
    try running a RAM test
    and run the mfg's harddrive diagnostic
    philo, Feb 10, 2008

  3. Guest

    On Feb 10, 12:25 pm, "philo" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > Hi, I wrote a post a week ago about my computer: basically I can't
    > > even get into Windows now, it just goes to the "set up" screen where
    > > it asks you if you want "safe mode" or regular windows; no matter what
    > > I pick, the screen reboots right back into the same screen. I can't
    > > get into any mode of windows. It's Windows xp on a dell computer. No
    > > one had an answer how to get out of that screen.

    > > I realized I'm just going to have to reinstall windows. Of course, I
    > > can't even do that now because I can't get out of that screen. Is
    > > there anyway to reinstall windows via that set up screen? Or should I
    > > just toss this computer out the window which I'm just about ready to
    > > do? Thanks for any help.

    > You do not re-install windows by booting to it...
    > you need to boot from your recovery CD.
    >
    > Before you do that...
    > youmay want o
    > try running a RAM test
    > and run the mfg's harddrive diagnostic

    How do I boot from the recovery? I have the windows disk that came
    with the computer and put it in the drive but I can't get anything
    other than the 'setup screen." I can't run any tests or anything
    because I can only get that one screen. thanks.
    , Feb 10, 2008
  4. Alang Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi, I wrote a post a week ago about my computer: basically I can't
    > even get into Windows now, it just goes to the "set up" screen where
    > it asks you if you want "safe mode" or regular windows; no matter
    > what I pick, the screen reboots right back into the same screen. I
    > can't get into any mode of windows. It's Windows xp on a dell
    > computer. No one had an answer how to get out of that screen.
    >
    > I realized I'm just going to have to reinstall windows. Of course, I
    > can't even do that now because I can't get out of that screen. Is
    > there anyway to reinstall windows via that set up screen? Or should
    > I just toss this computer out the window which I'm just about ready
    > to do? Thanks for any help.

    you should have a system restore disk or full OS disk. Put it in the
    cd drive and follow the instructions

    If you haven't then either buy one or get one of these
    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
    Alang, Feb 10, 2008
  5. Guest

    On Feb 10, 12:34 pm, "Alang" <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hi, I wrote a post a week ago about my computer: basically I can't
    > > even get into Windows now, it just goes to the "set up" screen where
    > > it asks you if you want "safe mode" or regular windows; no matter
    > > what I pick, the screen reboots right back into the same screen. I
    > > can't get into any mode of windows. It's Windows xp on a dell
    > > computer. No one had an answer how to get out of that screen.

    > > I realized I'm just going to have to reinstall windows. Of course, I
    > > can't even do that now because I can't get out of that screen. Is
    > > there anyway to reinstall windows via that set up screen? Or should
    > > I just toss this computer out the window which I'm just about ready
    > > to do? Thanks for any help.

    > you should have a system restore disk or full OS disk. Put it in the
    > cd drive and follow the instructions
    >
    > If you haven't then either buy one or get one of thesehttp://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
    > --

    I have the original disk that comes with the computer, but I put it in
    and it doesn't do anything. The computer just keeps rebooting to the
    "setup" screen.
    , Feb 10, 2008
  6. olfart Guest

    <> wrote in message
    On Feb 10, 12:34 pm, "Alang" <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hi, I wrote a post a week ago about my computer: basically I can't
    > > even get into Windows now, it just goes to the "set up" screen where
    > > it asks you if you want "safe mode" or regular windows; no matter
    > > what I pick, the screen reboots right back into the same screen. I
    > > can't get into any mode of windows. It's Windows xp on a dell
    > > computer. No one had an answer how to get out of that screen.

    > > I realized I'm just going to have to reinstall windows. Of course, I
    > > can't even do that now because I can't get out of that screen. Is
    > > there anyway to reinstall windows via that set up screen? Or should
    > > I just toss this computer out the window which I'm just about ready
    > > to do? Thanks for any help.

    > you should have a system restore disk or full OS disk. Put it in the
    > cd drive and follow the instructions
    >
    > If you haven't then either buy one or get one of
    > thesehttp://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
    > --

    I have the original disk that comes with the computer, but I put it in
    and it doesn't do anything. The computer just keeps rebooting to the
    "setup" screen.

    Put in the disc and then go into the Boot Menu at startup....probably F10 or
    F12 and set it to boot from CDROM first.
    olfart, Feb 10, 2008
  7. naza Guest

    You may also need to change your boot order so that CD drive is booted
    before you hard drive. You can change the boot order in the BIOS of
    the computer. You motherboard/computer manual will have information.
    Most newer PC also can select what device to boot to by pressing f12
    at boot. So, put in you XP CD and and just before the Dell loading
    screen ends press F12 and select CD ROM drive
    naza, Feb 10, 2008
  8. hackandtack Guest

    hi
    just a thought, have you tried a different keyboard.
    perhaps the f10 or whatever is stuck.
    hackandtack

    hackandtack, Feb 10, 2008
  9. balikitty Guest

    On Feb 10, 3:22 pm, wrote:
    > Hi, I wrote a post a week ago about my computer: basically I can't
    > even get into Windows now, it just goes to the "set up" screen where
    > it asks you if you want "safe mode" or regular windows; no matter what
    > I pick, the screen reboots right back into the same screen. I can't
    > get into any mode of windows. It's Windows xp on a dell computer. No
    > one had an answer how to get out of that screen.
    >
    > I realized I'm just going to have to reinstall windows. Of course, I
    > can't even do that now because I can't get out of that screen. Is
    > there anyway to reinstall windows via that set up screen? Or should I
    > just toss this computer out the window which I'm just about ready to
    > do? Thanks for any help.

    My computer did this 2 weeks ago. Have windows xp. I had no options,
    as it sounds that you do. I hit f11 key, to do a pc recovery. Thats
    all i did, and followed prompts through. I didnt lose anything. I
    couldnt even get my Norton securtiy installed for weeks, things got
    worse and worse, Then, I couldnt get my windows to open, like what you
    are going through. After i hit the f11 key, everything was good, and
    my norton installed, after 2 weeks of online chats with norton and
    microsoft about both problems. I had no backup cd, but, your settings
    are in your computer, you will have all the necessary items when
    complete. I dont know about security though, maybe should ask someone
    about that. I was running Kaspersky trial at the time, for above
    mentioned reasons, it did delete that out. But that was just a trial,
    so if you have regular securtiy installed it may be ok. Thats the one
    thing i would like to know as well. In case this ever happens again.
    balikitty, Feb 10, 2008
  10. philo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    On Feb 10, 12:25 pm, "philo" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > Hi, I wrote a post a week ago about my computer: basically I can't
    > > even get into Windows now, it just goes to the "set up" screen where
    > > it asks you if you want "safe mode" or regular windows; no matter what
    > > I pick, the screen reboots right back into the same screen. I can't
    > > get into any mode of windows. It's Windows xp on a dell computer. No
    > > one had an answer how to get out of that screen.

    > > I realized I'm just going to have to reinstall windows. Of course, I
    > > can't even do that now because I can't get out of that screen. Is
    > > there anyway to reinstall windows via that set up screen? Or should I
    > > just toss this computer out the window which I'm just about ready to
    > > do? Thanks for any help.

    > You do not re-install windows by booting to it...
    > you need to boot from your recovery CD.
    >
    > Before you do that...
    > youmay want o
    > try running a RAM test
    > and run the mfg's harddrive diagnostic

    How do I boot from the recovery? I have the windows disk that came
    with the computer and put it in the drive but I can't get anything
    other than the 'setup screen." I can't run any tests or anything
    because I can only get that one screen. thanks.

    yes, just put the recovery disk in the machine and let it perform the
    recovery

    Check the bios settings to make sure it is set to boot first from cdrom
    philo, Feb 10, 2008
  11. Rolf Guest

    > hi
    > just a thought, have you tried a different keyboard.
    > perhaps the f10 or whatever is stuck.
    > hackandtack
    > <> wrote in message
    > > Hi, I wrote a post a week ago about my computer: basically I can't
    > > even get into Windows now, it just goes to the "set up" screen where
    > > it asks you if you want "safe mode" or regular windows; no matter what
    > > I pick, the screen reboots right back into the same screen. I can't
    > > get into any mode of windows. It's Windows xp on a dell computer. No
    > > one had an answer how to get out of that screen.
    > >
    > > I realized I'm just going to have to reinstall windows. Of course, I
    > > can't even do that now because I can't get out of that screen. Is
    > > there anyway to reinstall windows via that set up screen? Or should I
    > > just toss this computer out the window which I'm just about ready to
    > > do? Thanks for any help.

    1. I suppose you have entered BISO setup and confirmed everything is set as
    it should be there?

    2. You may chose boot order: First/Second or whatever hard drive, CD - or
    floppy.

    3. If you you chose boot from CD as first boot device; from CD the machine
    will boot.

    4. Or you may set hard drives to 'none' just to see what happens, whether
    the machine still ignore the CD.

    5. If you are able to boot from CD, the next step is to delete what you have
    on the hard drive, delete the partitions, reinitialize the disk or whatever
    it takes to get it working- if you can sacrifice that. Otherwise, you would
    have to be able to read the hard drive first, maybe by installing another
    hard drive as your new C:-drive, and hope that your old drive is readable.

    6. In case you actually are able to boot the machine from your CD, you may
    perhaps find an option to install a second version of your OS. When
    installation hopefully is completed OK, On reboot you will get the option of
    selection which version of the installed systems you want to boot.

    7. If nothing works, bad luck, find a better guru than me. After all, I am
    77...
    Rolf, Feb 10, 2008
  12. Art Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi, I wrote a post a week ago about my computer: basically I can't
    > even get into Windows now, it just goes to the "set up" screen where
    > it asks you if you want "safe mode" or regular windows; no matter what
    > I pick, the screen reboots right back into the same screen. I can't
    > get into any mode of windows. It's Windows xp on a dell computer. No
    > one had an answer how to get out of that screen.
    >
    > I realized I'm just going to have to reinstall windows. Of course, I
    > can't even do that now because I can't get out of that screen. Is
    > there anyway to reinstall windows via that set up screen? Or should I
    > just toss this computer out the window which I'm just about ready to
    > do? Thanks for any help.

    Go here http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    read the entire process from beginning to end and then follow it.

    --
    Art
    Art, Feb 10, 2008
  13. Guest

    On Feb 10, 2:40 pm, Art <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hi, I wrote a post a week ago about my computer: basically I can't
    > > even get into Windows now, it just goes to the "set up" screen where
    > > it asks you if you want "safe mode" or regular windows; no matter what
    > > I pick, the screen reboots right back into the same screen. I can't
    > > get into any mode of windows. It's Windows xp on a dell computer. No
    > > one had an answer how to get out of that screen.

    > > I realized I'm just going to have to reinstall windows. Of course, I
    > > can't even do that now because I can't get out of that screen. Is
    > > there anyway to reinstall windows via that set up screen? Or should I
    > > just toss this computer out the window which I'm just about ready to
    > > do? Thanks for any help.

    > Go herehttp://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    > read the entire process from beginning to end and then follow it.
    >
    > --
    > Art

    It wouldn't let me go f12, it kept giving me "doesn't recognize
    keyboard" error, but somehow I got it to work once and was able to
    reinstall windows. I lost a lot of good software that I don't have the
    original disks to anymore but it's working fine now. I appreciate
    everyone's input here, this is a very helpful group that has helped me
    many times in the past.
    , Feb 11, 2008
  14. Buffalo Guest

    wrote:
    > On Feb 10, 2:40 pm, Art <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Hi, I wrote a post a week ago about my computer: basically I can't
    >>> even get into Windows now, it just goes to the "set up" screen where
    >>> it asks you if you want "safe mode" or regular windows; no matter
    >>> what I pick, the screen reboots right back into the same screen. I
    >>> can't get into any mode of windows. It's Windows xp on a dell
    >>> computer. No one had an answer how to get out of that screen.

    >>> I realized I'm just going to have to reinstall windows. Of course, I
    >>> can't even do that now because I can't get out of that screen. Is
    >>> there anyway to reinstall windows via that set up screen? Or should
    >>> I just toss this computer out the window which I'm just about ready
    >>> to do? Thanks for any help.

    >> Go herehttp://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    >> read the entire process from beginning to end and then follow it.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Art

    > It wouldn't let me go f12, it kept giving me "doesn't recognize
    > keyboard" error, but somehow I got it to work once and was able to
    > reinstall windows. I lost a lot of good software that I don't have the
    > original disks to anymore but it's working fine now. I appreciate
    > everyone's input here, this is a very helpful group that has helped me
    > many times in the past.

    I am surprised that you lost some good software.
    It's probably too late now, but what steps did you take to reinstall
    WindowsXP?
    Buffalo, Feb 11, 2008
  15. Guest

    On Feb 10, 6:40 pm, "Buffalo" <> wrote:
    > wrote:

    > >> Go herehttp://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    > >> read the entire process from beginning to end and then follow it.

    > >> --
    > >> Art

    > > It wouldn't let me go f12, it kept giving me "doesn't recognize
    > > keyboard" error, but somehow I got it to work once and was able to
    > > reinstall windows. I lost a lot of good software that I don't have the
    > > original disks to anymore but it's working fine now. I appreciate
    > > everyone's input here, this is a very helpful group that has helped me
    > > many times in the past.

    > I am surprised that you lost some good software.
    > It's probably too late now, but what steps did you take to reinstall
    > WindowsXP?- Hide quoted text -

    I hit f12,went to the disk and it installed. It wiped out everything.
    , Feb 11, 2008
  16. Desk Rabbit Guest

    wrote:
    > On Feb 10, 6:40 pm, "Buffalo" <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> It wouldn't let me go f12, it kept giving me "doesn't recognize
    >>> keyboard" error, but somehow I got it to work once and was able to
    >>> reinstall windows. I lost a lot of good software that I don't have the
    >>> original disks to anymore but it's working fine now. I appreciate
    >>> everyone's input here, this is a very helpful group that has helped me
    >>> many times in the past.

    >> I am surprised that you lost some good software.
    >> It's probably too late now, but what steps did you take to reinstall
    >> WindowsXP?- Hide quoted text -

    > I hit f12,went to the disk and it installed. It wiped out everything.

    If you had followed the advice that told you to go to
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm and followed those
    instructions, you would in all likelihood still have your applications.
    Desk Rabbit, Feb 11, 2008
  17. dadiOH Guest

    wrote:
    > On Feb 10, 12:25 pm, "philo" <> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message

    >>> Hi, I wrote a post a week ago about my computer: basically I can't
    >>> even get into Windows now, it just goes to the "set up" screen
    >>> where it asks you if you want "safe mode" or regular windows; no
    >>> matter what I pick, the screen reboots right back into the same
    >>> screen. I can't get into any mode of windows. It's Windows xp on
    >>> a dell computer. No one had an answer how to get out of that
    >>> screen.

    >>> I realized I'm just going to have to reinstall windows. Of
    >>> course, I can't even do that now because I can't get out of that
    >>> screen. Is there anyway to reinstall windows via that set up
    >>> screen? Or should I just toss this computer out the window which
    >>> I'm just about ready to do? Thanks for any help.

    >> You do not re-install windows by booting to it...
    >> you need to boot from your recovery CD.
    >>
    >> Before you do that...
    >> youmay want o
    >> try running a RAM test
    >> and run the mfg's harddrive diagnostic

    > How do I boot from the recovery? I have the windows disk that came
    > with the computer and put it in the drive but I can't get anything
    > other than the 'setup screen." I can't run any tests or anything
    > because I can only get that one screen. thanks.

    Are you saying the disc that came with your computer is aWindows CD,
    not a manufacturer's "recovery" CD?

    If so, boot from a floppy, select "CD support", change via DOS to your
    CD drive (which will be one letter higher than normal) and "run setup"

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, Feb 11, 2008
  18. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi, I wrote a post a week ago about my computer: basically I can't
    > even get into Windows now, it just goes to the "set up" screen where

    Zero the drive first.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Feb 15, 2008