    dummy.
    TIA for any help anyone can offer.
    Leo
    LEO THOMPSON, Nov 2, 2003

  2. LEO THOMPSON

    LEO THOMPSON Guest

    Please excuse the caps in the subject window.
    Leo
    "LEO THOMPSON" <> wrote in message
    > Attempting to recover my lost Outlook Express messages, I have arrived at
    > the DBX files in my Windows folder. I feel so close to message recovery

    that
    > I can almost see them. But, when I try to download the mail box I get a

    file

    LEO THOMPSON, Nov 2, 2003

  3. LEO THOMPSON

    Steve Guest

    Are you by chance opening OE in the wrong identity?
    Go to File, switch identity

    > Attempting to recover my lost Outlook Express messages, I have arrived at
    > the DBX files in my Windows folder. I feel so close to message recovery

    that
    > I can almost see them. But, when I try to download the mail box I get a

    file
    > download box asking if I would like to open, or, save. I choose the 'open'
    > option but it will do nothing.
    > Is it that the user is not allowed to access the files in the Windows
    > folder, or am I doing something wrong? I try hard but I'm still a computer
    > dummy.
    > TIA for any help anyone can offer.
    > Leo

    ---
    Steve, Nov 2, 2003
  4. LEO THOMPSON

    Michael-NC Guest

    Did you try to import them?

    Michael-NC, Nov 2, 2003
  5. LEO THOMPSON

    LEO THOMPSON Guest

    Hi, Michael, thank you very much for your suggestion. I tried import from
    everywhere in the Windows folders. Message was always that maybe some other
    program is running and using the files. Everything else was closed.
    I guess the mail is lost forever.
    Regards,
    Leo

    LEO THOMPSON, Nov 2, 2003
  6. LEO THOMPSON

    Michael-NC Guest

    Try it in safe mode.

    Michael-NC, Nov 3, 2003
  7. LEO THOMPSON

    Trent© Guest

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 22:30:58 GMT, "Michael-NC"
    <> wrote:

    >Did you try to import them?

    Import from what program? lol

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 3, 2003
  8. LEO THOMPSON

    Trent© Guest

    On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 18:37:26 -0500, "LEO THOMPSON"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi, Michael, thank you very much for your suggestion. I tried import from
    >everywhere in the Windows folders. Message was always that maybe some other
    >program is running and using the files. Everything else was closed.
    >I guess the mail is lost forever.
    >Regards,
    >Leo

    No...its probably NOT lost forever.

    Make a directory called PROTECT...and copy all those .dbx files into
    that folder.

    Then reinstall OE.

    But before you do that...

    Steve had an excellent idea. Make sure yer usin' the same identity
    that you always did. You may have somehow switched to a new
    identity...that has nothing in it.

    Good luck...let us know.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 3, 2003
  9. LEO THOMPSON

    Trent© Guest

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 00:40:33 GMT, "Michael-NC"
    <> wrote:

    >Try it in safe mode.

    ROTFLMAO !!!

    Have a nice week...