    is unable to boot up...(stay on black screen and never say anything...) If I
    fixboot the 64bit Windows then I can boot into the x64 but 32bit Windows
    can't boot in after... How can I fix this problem?
    =?Utf-8?B?SlA=?=, Nov 28, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SlA=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    1 check which is your system drive. 2 Make sure that that drive has the
    ndldr and ntdetect.com from the x64 install. You can drag and drop them
    from the x64 disk to make sure.
    3. run repair console and use bootcfg /rebuild This will build a boot.ini
    file on the system drive and finally you can edit the file from system
    properties when you are booted. That way you will be sure you are editing
    the one the system is using.

    John Barnes, Nov 28, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?SlA=?=

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, JP.

    HOW did you install x64 onto D:?

    What you describe should have worked the first time...IF you simply booted
    from the WinXP x64 CD-ROM and let it update the startup files on C: as it
    installed x64 on D: (or wherever). When it finished, C:\NTLDR and
    C:\NTDETECT.COM would have been the x64 versions, as John Barnes said. And
    C:\boot.ini would automatically have been updated to point to both the x86
    and the x64 versions of WinXP.

    But, if you used a third-party boot manager, it might have handled the x64
    installation differently. Or, if you changed the boot device in CMOS to the
    other HD, then the x64 installation would have written its startup files
    onto that HD, rather than to C:. And there are other installation methods
    that might have frustrated WinXP x64's attempt to keep it simple. :>(

    When using WinXP's default method of dual-booting, there's only a single
    System Partition (typically C:) for the whole computer, but a separate Boot
    Volume (one of which may or may not also be C:) for each Windows
    installation. Each boot starts in C:, then branches to wherever C:\boot.ini
    points to load your chosen installation.

    What steps did you use to install WinXP x64? How many versions of NTLDR do
    you have? How many boot.ini files do you have? Where are they? What do
    they say?

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA