Can't delete Temporary Internet Files and folders - XP Pro

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rusty Knutts, Nov 30, 2003.

  1. Rusty Knutts

    Rusty Knutts Guest

    OS=Win XP Pro

    Apparent spyware, adware or malware has created a "Temporary Internet
    Files" sub-folder under the original Temporary Internet Files in my
    user profile. I've tried Ad-Aware, Spy-Bot, several file shreaders,
    (including PGP and Cuteshield,) all to no avail. I've booted to safe
    mode, safe mode with command prompt and even used Registry Clean
    Expert to try to get rid of the lil' buggers. Apparently they
    are being treated as system files and nothing I've found so far will
    allow me to get rid of them. Right-clicking doesn't even show
    "Properties" as an option.

    I remember that in "DOS" a file or folder could be locked but I don't
    remember the command and this drive is NTFS formatted.

    Happy Holidaze from the entire Knutts clan . . . Rusty, my wife No,
    our son fuzzy and daughter Pea.

    Rusty Knutts, Nov 30, 2003

  2. Rusty Knutts

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Log in as a different user with admin rights, navigate to the folder that
    the file is in, rename the folder and move it to the desktop, delete it from
    the desktop.

    pcbutts1, Nov 30, 2003

  3. Rusty Knutts

    °Mike° Guest

    This is not a spyware/adware/malware issue. Those sub-folders
    are normal. To remove them, close all instances of I.E. and
    empty your temporary internet files from Control Panel / Internet
    Options. You *must* check the box 'Delete all offline content'
    for the sub-folders to be removed.

    On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 16:30:58 -0500, in
    <>
    Rusty Knutts scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 30, 2003
  4. Rusty Knutts

    Rusty Knutts Guest

    Thanks buttttt . . . I only WISH it were that simple . . .

    Sorry for not mentioning that I had tried this option. It was the
    first thing I tried.

    You say it is normal for IE to create sub-folders with the same name
    as the parent? Are you sure? I've not seen this anomaly before and
    have a bit of experience myself although obviously, not enough.

    Thanks again,

    Rusty
    ------------

    Rusty Knutts, Dec 1, 2003
  5. Rusty Knutts

    Rusty Knutts Guest

    Thanks pcbutts1 but it just refused to allow me to delete under any
    logon, including Administrator.

    Rusty
    ---------

    Rusty Knutts, Dec 1, 2003
  6. Rusty Knutts

    Liz Guest

    Try deleting it from the Command Prompt.
    Go here and scroll down to "Completely Deleting the
    Temporary Internet Files and index.dat".
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

    Liz, Dec 1, 2003
  7. Rusty Knutts

    °Mike° Guest

    Sorry, I just re-read your original post, and I assumed you
    meant the normal sub-folders - I guess I didn't read it correctly
    the first time. See Liz's reply.

    On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 09:45:38 -0500, in
    <>
    Rusty Knutts scrawled:

    °Mike°, Dec 1, 2003
  8. Rusty Knutts

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Did it let you rename and move it? If it did and you still can't delete it
    then try it in safe mode.

    pcbutts1, Dec 2, 2003
  9. Rusty Knutts

    Rusty Knutts Guest

    Re: Can't delete Temporary Internet Files and folders - ATTN: pcbutts1

    IT WORKED!!! . . . THANK YOU

    The second time I logged on as Admin, I followed your instructions to
    a "T". Before, I had only tried deleting from the current location
    but when I renamed the folders/files and moved them to the desktop,
    they could be deleted/shreaded.

    Can/will you explain why it was necessary to move them?

    Inquiring minds want to know . . .

    Thanks again from me and the entire Knutts clan. May your holidaze be
    bright and your sack always full.

    Rusty

    Rusty Knutts, Dec 2, 2003