    What can I do about these registries ?

    How to delete them ???

    Please help !!

    Hari Hari Mau, Oct 23, 2008

  2. Hari Hari Mau

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 01:05:59 -0700 (PDT), Hari Hari Mau
    <> wrote:

    >Just now I did a scan on registry, and found some suspecting entries
    >there. So I use regedit trying to delete those entries.
    >
    >Lo and behold, when I tried to delete those entries, I got the "Unable
    >to delete all specified values" error message, and they stay put !
    >
    >The registry entries are located at HKEY_Local_Machine->System-
    >ControlSet002->Enum->ROOT->LEGACY_xxxyyy (name of programs)
    >
    >What can I do about these registries ?
    >
    >How to delete them ???
    >
    >Please help !!

    Most likely because they're in use.
    Such as with the windows operating system.
    Oh sure, you go right ahead and be big bad know it all technician and
    just delete stuff you don't know squat about.
    Don't come back and ask how come my system just crashed.

    First, ya might want to do a search on the web for those keys and find
    out what they're all about.
    Or at least the program it mentions.

    This is probably the number one cause of why windows user have
    problems. They don't know enough and they think they're gonna get
    ahead and delete stuff they know nothing about.

    I have found that in the past anyway, regedit leaves behind a lot of
    stuff that is related to MS in any way. Even though it's ancient
    history. Suggest you try other cleaners and might want to try out
    "hijackthis".

    richard, Oct 23, 2008

  3. Hari Hari Mau

    gregg Guest

    Re: Can't delete registry entry !! (suspected virus / trojan attack!)

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 01:05:59 -0700, Hari Hari Mau wrote:

    > Just now I did a scan on registry, and found some suspecting entries
    > there. So I use regedit trying to delete those entries.
    >
    > Lo and behold, when I tried to delete those entries, I got the "Unable
    > to delete all specified values" error message, and they stay put !
    >
    > The registry entries are located at HKEY_Local_Machine->System-
    > ControlSet002->Enum->ROOT->LEGACY_xxxyyy (name of programs)
    >
    > What can I do about these registries ?
    >
    > How to delete them ???
    >
    > Please help !!

    Sorry, I am running Linux and I don't have a Registry or an Anti-Virus.

    gregg, Oct 23, 2008
  4. Hari Hari Mau

    Unknown Guest

    You may think you don't have a registry but you really have. It may not be
    called a registry but it is there.

    Unknown, Oct 23, 2008
  5. Hari Hari Mau

    Damian Guest

    gregg wrote:

    > Sorry, I am running Linux

    I'm so sorry. You must be pathetic.

    Damian, Oct 23, 2008
  6. Hari Hari Mau

    Aardvark Guest

    Re: Can't delete registry entry !! (suspected virus / trojan attack!)

    Moronic top-posting corrected:

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 10:12:49 -0500, Unknown wrote:

    > "gregg" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 01:05:59 -0700, Hari Hari Mau wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just now I did a scan on registry, and found some suspecting entries
    >>> there. So I use regedit trying to delete those entries.
    >>>
    >>> Lo and behold, when I tried to delete those entries, I got the "Unable
    >>> to delete all specified values" error message, and they stay put !
    >>>
    >>> The registry entries are located at HKEY_Local_Machine->System-
    >>> ControlSet002->Enum->ROOT->LEGACY_xxxyyy (name of programs)
    >>>
    >>> What can I do about these registries ?
    >>>
    >>> How to delete them ???
    >>>
    >>> Please help !!

    >> Sorry, I am running Linux and I don't have a Registry or an Anti-Virus.

    > You may think you don't have a registry but you really have. It may not
    > be called a registry but it is there.

    Please do tell where I can find my registry and how to recognise this
    registry when I find it.

    --
    Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008
    http://www.liverpool08.com

    Aardvark, Oct 23, 2008
  7. Hari Hari Mau

    Unknown Guest

    Just try to create (write) any operating system without a registry. I would
    venture to say 'impossible'.
    Get a program listing for the program you want to find the registry for.

    Unknown, Oct 23, 2008
  8. Hari Hari Mau

    freemont Guest

    Re: Can't delete registry entry !! (suspected virus / trojan attack!)

    top posting fixed
    On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 13:54:18 -0500, Unknown writ:

    > "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    >> Moronic top-posting corrected:
    >>

    >> On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 10:12:49 -0500, Unknown wrote:
    >>
    >>> "gregg" <> wrote in message

    >>> You may think you don't have a registry but you really have. It may
    >>> not be called a registry but it is there.

    >> Please do tell where I can find my registry and how to recognise this
    >> registry when I find it.

    /etc? Only /etc isn't a database with cryptically-named "keys", it's a
    collection of text files, so... So much for that comparison. :-|

    > Just try to create (write) any operating system without a registry. I
    > would venture to say 'impossible'.

    If you're creating a Windows operating system, sure.

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> freemont© <-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯

    freemont, Oct 23, 2008
  9. Hari Hari Mau

    Aardvark Guest

    Re: Can't delete registry entry !! (suspected virus / trojan attack!)

    Moronic top-posting ONCE AGAIN corrected.

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 13:54:18 -0500, Unknown wrote:

    > "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    >> Moronic top-posting corrected:
    >>

    >> On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 10:12:49 -0500, Unknown wrote:
    >>
    >>> "gregg" <> wrote in message

    >>> You may think you don't have a registry but you really have. It may
    >>> not be called a registry but it is there.

    >> Please do tell where I can find my registry and how to recognise this
    >> registry when I find it.

    > Just try to create (write) any operating system without a registry. I
    > would venture to say 'impossible'.
    > Get a program listing for the program you want to find the registry for.

    I'm not looking for a registry. You're telling me that I have one. I'm
    asking you where I can find this so-called 'registry' in my Mandriva
    2009.0 OS.

    Aardvark, Oct 23, 2008
  10. Hari Hari Mau

    Unknown Guest

    Are you so moronic you can't read? Get a program listing and it'll be there.
    It may not be called a registry but it'll be there
    ..

    Unknown, Oct 23, 2008
  11. Hari Hari Mau

    Aardvark Guest

    Re: Can't delete registry entry !! (suspected virus / trojan attack!)

    How many clue sticks do you have to be struck with. This is the last time
    I fix your moronic top-posting and also the last time I reply.

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 15:20:46 -0500, Unknown wrote:

    > "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    >> Moronic top-posting ONCE AGAIN corrected.
    >>

    >> On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 13:54:18 -0500, Unknown wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Aardvark" <> wrote in message

    >>> Just try to create (write) any operating system without a registry. I
    >>> would venture to say 'impossible'.
    >>> Get a program listing for the program you want to find the registry
    >>> for.

    >> I'm not looking for a registry. You're telling me that I have one. I'm
    >> asking you where I can find this so-called 'registry' in my Mandriva
    >> 2009.0 OS.

    > Are you so moronic you can't read? Get a program listing and it'll be
    > there. It may not be called a registry but it'll be there .

    So do I have a registry in my Mandriva 2009.0 operating system or not? It
    seems to me you're now saying that I don't have a registry, thus
    contradicting your original statement.

    **** off, dickhead. And while you're on the way, get yourself a proper
    newsreader that doesn't top-post by default and crops properly configured
    signature files when replying.

    Aardvark, Oct 23, 2008
  12. Hari Hari Mau

    chrisv Guest

    Unknown wrote:
    > Are you so moronic you can't read? Get a program listing and it'll be
    > there. It may not be called a registry but it'll be there
    > .

    fuckwit top poster
    *plonk*

    chrisv, Oct 23, 2008
  13. Hari Hari Mau

    Unknown Guest

    Thank God that was your last response. Nitwit Limeys like you can't read.
    All operating systems have a registry.
    It may not be called that but you cannot write one with out it.
    Get a listing for your Mandriva, if that's the name of your OS and look for
    it.
    If you don't like top posting--then don't read any of them.

    Unknown, Oct 23, 2008
  14. Hari Hari Mau

    Unknown Guest

    What is your definition of a registry? What would you call a list of
    constants, hardware etc?

    Unknown, Oct 23, 2008
  15. Hari Hari Mau

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 14:57:58 -0600, §ñühw¤£f wrote:

    > Unknown wrote:
    >> Are you so moronic you can't read? Get a program listing and it'll be
    >> there. It may not be called a registry but it'll be there
    >>

    > That's pretty silly. You obviously have never used a *nix OS.The closest
    > thing to a registry might be /proc but that's just an opinion

    And even that isn't THAT close. :)

    Aardvark, Oct 23, 2008
  16. Hari Hari Mau

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 21:12:32 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

    > On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 14:57:58 -0600, §ñühw¤£f wrote:
    >
    >> Unknown wrote:
    >>> Are you so moronic you can't read? Get a program listing and it'll be
    >>> there. It may not be called a registry but it'll be there
    >>>

    >> That's pretty silly. You obviously have never used a *nix OS.The
    >> closest thing to a registry might be /proc but that's just an opinion

    > And even that isn't THAT close. :)

    And now the top-posting moronic clown has decided I'm English. :)

    Aardvark, Oct 23, 2008
  17. Hari Hari Mau

    Damian Guest

    §ñühw¤£f wrote:
    > Damian wrote:
    >> gregg wrote:
    >>> Sorry, I am running Linux

    >> I'm so sorry. §ñühw¤£f must be pathetic.
    >>

    > I fixed your pronoun problem for you: no charge :)

    I see you are confused by pronouns. I put in a proper name so you can better
    grasp the concept.

    Damian, Oct 23, 2008
  18. In article <ux5Mk.4124$x%>,
    Unknown <> wrote:

    >All operating systems have a registry.
    >It may not be called that but you cannot write one with out it.

    What functionality should we be looking for, in case it isn't
    called a registry?

    The MS Windows "registry" is used for several different purposes:

    - it keeps track of all officially "installed" programs
    and keeps track of information about the programs, such as which
    shared libraries they use

    - it is used as a central repository of user-independant
    system and application configuration information

    - it is used as a central repository of user authentication
    information and of user authorizations

    - it is used as a central repository of per-user interactive
    preferences (e.g., where the task-bar should appear), and of per-user
    application configuration information ("preferences")

    I have used and continue to use multiuser operating systems that
    had none of these features, or which allowed the information
    to be purged (possibly making the system more cumbersome
    to upgrade, but the system did not -rely- on the information.)

    The closest I can come to any of these roles is that a number of
    operating systems use a plain-text file in a known location to
    control user authentication -- which usernames are known, and
    what their passwords are (possibly storing encrypted passwords.)
    If you want to -define- that isolated functionality as being
    enough of a "registry" to prove your statement... well, I've
    also used operating systems that had no user control file at all.
    Being able to distinguish between users is not a defining characteristic
    of what -is- or -is not- an operating system.

    Walter Roberson, Oct 23, 2008
  19. Hari Hari Mau

    Ray Parrish Guest

    Re: Can't delete registry entry !! (suspected virus / trojan attack!)

    Hello, I'm a recent convert to Ubuntu from Windows, and I can tell you
    there is no registry in Ubuntu Linux. This operating system keeps it's
    settings in text files scattered around the file system. This reduces
    the overload required to load everything into memory at once like you do
    with the registry.

    It also makes it easier to look up things about your system as it can
    often be done with a simple text editor.

    Later, Ray Parrish

    Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows

    Ray Parrish, Oct 24, 2008
  20. Hari Hari Mau

    Bill in Co. Guest

    Ray Parrish wrote:
    > Hello, I'm a recent convert to Ubuntu from Windows, and I can tell you
    > there is no registry in Ubuntu Linux. This operating system keeps it's
    > settings in text files scattered around the file system. This reduces
    > the overload required to load everything into memory at once like you do
    > with the registry.

    Seems like that also means it will take more time to open and use some apps,
    though, due to the necessity of reading into memory, and/or writing out to
    disk), those setting files on the disk each time. (to retrieve and
    continually update the settings).

    Bill in Co., Oct 24, 2008