    close any programs that might be using the file and try again.

    Now I'm sure there's no programs or files being used because I already deleted the user in Active Directory and all his files and folders. Now when I go to my file server in the documents and settings folder and try to delete those same user files I get that message up above. Any ideas how to get this resolved

    Thanks guys!!!!!!!
    leemcp, May 30, 2008

  2. leemcp

    leemcp

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2008
    Messages:
    8
    Location:
    York,PA
    Look like I found the problem, Symantec Back up exec 9.1 had the file checked to be backed on the daily backup tape. I unchecked that one file in the back up job I couldn't delete, and the next morning after the backup completed I was able to delete the NTUSER file and the user's folder. Problem solved Thank God!!!!!
    leemcp, Jun 3, 2008

  3. leemcp

    eunisus

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Solution!

    If the ntuser.dat belongs to a user who has been deleted, then try to remove it by the following steps.
    1. Log on using the Admin user.
    2. Go to My Computer
    3. right click and go to Properties.
    4. Click Advanced Tab.
    5. In User Profiles click Settings
    6. Select Account Unknown and then click on Delete.
    This works!!!!:D
    eunisus, Jun 25, 2010