    so ~ any way of getting this folder deleted?
    :)
    Ta.
    neutrino, Oct 20, 2006

  2. neutrino

    Rob Guest

    neutrino wrote:
    > probably something I did~! but I got a now empty folder, a sub folder
    > wayyy down the list, - I probably shopuld not have created so many sub
    > folders linked on from each other..
    > ( was several albums - 1st, then 2nd a folder in the 1st, 3rd a folder
    > in 2nd.. etc etc ...)
    > don't ask~~
    > but try n delete this last one, and you get cannot be deleted cos...
    > " the file you specified is not valid or too long."
    > so ~ any way of getting this folder deleted?
    > :)
    > Ta.

    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm#del

    HTH

    --
    Rob

    Once there was a time when the bringing-forth of the true into the
    beautiful was called technology. And art was simply called techne.
    (Martin Heidegger)
    Rob, Oct 20, 2006

  3. neutrino

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "neutrino" <> wrote in message
    > probably something I did~! but I got a now empty folder, a sub folder
    > wayyy down the list, - I probably shopuld not have created so many sub
    > folders linked on from each other..
    > ( was several albums - 1st, then 2nd a folder in the 1st, 3rd a folder
    > in 2nd.. etc etc ...)
    > don't ask~~
    > but try n delete this last one, and you get cannot be deleted cos...
    > " the file you specified is not valid or too long."
    > so ~ any way of getting this folder deleted?
    > :)
    > Ta.

    This great tool should fix it. Worked for me with my prob.
    http://www.jrtwine.com/Products/DelFXPFiles/
    Craig Sutton, Oct 20, 2006
  4. In message <>, neutrino
    wrote:

    > probably something I did~! but I got a now empty folder, a sub folder
    > wayyy down the list, - I probably shopuld not have created so many sub
    > folders linked on from each other..

    Doesn't rm -rf work?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 21, 2006
  5. neutrino

    Invisible Guest

    On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 12:40:19 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, neutrino
    >wrote:
    >
    >> probably something I did~! but I got a now empty folder, a sub folder
    >> wayyy down the list, - I probably shopuld not have created so many sub
    >> folders linked on from each other..

    >Doesn't rm -rf work?

    I can't think why it wouldn't :rolleyes:
    Invisible, Oct 21, 2006
  6. neutrino

    Donchano Guest

    On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 13:00:09 +1300, Invisible <>
    magnanimously proffered:

    >On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 12:40:19 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    ><_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In message <>, neutrino
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>> probably something I did~! but I got a now empty folder, a sub folder
    >>> wayyy down the list, - I probably shopuld not have created so many sub
    >>> folders linked on from each other..

    You may find a hidden file in one of those folders that has to be
    delted before you can delete the folder. Go into your view settings
    and make sure you're set-up to view hidden files. You'll find it by
    opening Windows Explorer or My Computer, clicking on Tools, then
    Folder Options, then View. Click on the radio button to "Show hidden
    files and folders."

    If you find a hidden file in one of the folders, you can use the
    following utility to remove it.

    This is a great little freeware utility (183kb) that a poster in
    this ng suggested when I was looking for advice on how to
    delete a downloaded file to which Windows had denied me access because
    the file name was too long.

    It's called "Unlocker" and it works like a charm.

    In addition to being denied access to this file, and being unable to
    delete it or change it's name to something shorter, I've also
    experienced all of the other issues listed on the publisher's website,
    including:

    Cannot delete file: Access is denied
    There has been a sharing violation.
    The source or destination file may be in use.
    The file is in use by another program or user.
    Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
    and that the file is not currently in use.

    I run into some of these regularly when shifting back and forth
    between My Computer and the files on a flash drive and find that I
    have to reboot to get any further. Hopefully, this tiny utility is
    going to make life much easier.

    Publisher: http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

    Download: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Unlocker_d4660.html
    Donchano, Oct 21, 2006
  7. neutrino

    MaHogany Guest

    On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 23:56:31 -0700, neutrino wrote:

    > but try n delete this last one, and you get cannot be deleted cos...
    > " the file you specified is not valid or too long."
    > so ~ any way of getting this folder deleted?

    Yes. Open a psudo DOS command prompt. Navigate to that directory and
    delete it using the 8 character DOS name.

    Ma Hogany

    --
    "The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
    fries with that, if prompted."
    MaHogany, Oct 21, 2006
  8. neutrino

    MaHogany Guest

    On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 13:00:09 +1300, Invisible wrote:

    >>Doesn't rm -rf work?

    > I can't think why it wouldn't :rolleyes:

    Unless something is using something in that directory.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Oct 21, 2006
  9. In message <>, MaHogany wrote:

    > On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 13:00:09 +1300, Invisible wrote:
    >
    >>>Doesn't rm -rf work?

    >> I can't think why it wouldn't :rolleyes:

    > Unless something is using something in that directory.

    That won't stop it from being deleted on any reasonable *nix system. Unless
    this is Dimdows you're talking about...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 21, 2006
  10. neutrino

    Adam Cameron Guest

    Suggested Stipulation

    > That won't stop it from being deleted on any reasonable *nix system. Unless
    > this is Dimdows you're talking about...

    I'm just wondering if it would be possible for us all to agree to this
    stipulation:

    "Yes, yes, we all know that *nix and its various flavours are all really
    good OSes and can do heaps of things better than Windows can. Yes. We
    know. Cool. Thanks".

    If we agreed on that, it would mean all the *nix propellor-heads could save
    themselves a lot of time on this forum, which they could better use to
    spend time attempting to *get over themselves*, and maybe seek out some
    form of meaningful existence beyond defending a cause that - I imagine -
    most people agree with anyway.

    At the end of the day, which particular OS someone happens to use is...
    really... not that important or exciting, is it? Well I mean to most
    people. A *lot* of people manage to use more than one, without getting all
    het up.

    So here's an idea:
    If someone has a problem with Windows (this is NOT a cue for *nix
    evangelists to point out that this is more likely to happen with Windows
    users than *nix users, btw)... maybe the Windows-savvy users of the forum
    could try to help, in a meaningful way.

    And if someone has a *nix problem... the *nix people could help them.

    It's really not *helpful*, when someone's got a problem, to point out that
    maybe your OS is better than theirs, is it? No.

    --
    Adam

    (That said, obviously *Mac* users should still be open season for everyone
    ;-)
    Adam Cameron, Oct 21, 2006
  11. Re: Suggested Stipulation

    In message <ittkt4kbq70g$.1l2mjpo5kry7m$>, Adam Cameron
    wrote:

    > If someone has a problem with Windows... maybe the Windows-savvy users of
    > the forum could try to help, in a meaningful way.

    Where was it initially stated that this was a problem with Windows?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 21, 2006
  12. neutrino

    impossible Guest

    Re: Suggested Stipulation

    "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    message news:ehe14p$m4s$...
    > In message <ittkt4kbq70g$.1l2mjpo5kry7m$>, Adam
    > Cameron
    > wrote:
    >
    >> If someone has a problem with Windows... maybe the Windows-savvy
    >> users of
    >> the forum could try to help, in a meaningful way.

    > Where was it initially stated that this was a problem with Windows?

    In the OP: error message="the file you specified is not valid ...."
    Now go away, troll.
    impossible, Oct 22, 2006
  13. neutrino

    MaHogany Guest

    On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 21:56:29 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> I can't think why it wouldn't :rolleyes:

    >> Unless something is using something in that directory.

    > That won't stop it from being deleted on any reasonable *nix system. Unless
    > this is Dimdows you're talking about...

    I think the user is talking about a Windoze system.

    There are some things that even a Windoze admin is prohibited from doing
    by M$.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Oct 22, 2006
  14. neutrino

    MaHogany Guest

    Re: Suggested Stipulation

    On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 14:35:28 +0100, Adam Cameron wrote:

    > It's really not *helpful*, when someone's got a problem, to point out that
    > maybe your OS is better than theirs, is it? No.

    Actually it *IS* helpful to point out a better solution for them - which
    would usually be migration to the superior OS.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Oct 22, 2006
  15. neutrino

    baldrick Guest

    Re: Suggested Stipulation

    On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 20:03:22 -0400, impossible wrote:

    > "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    > message news:ehe14p$m4s$...

    >>> If someone has a problem with Windows... maybe the Windows-savvy
    >>> users of
    >>> the forum could try to help, in a meaningful way.

    >> Where was it initially stated that this was a problem with Windows?

    > In the OP: error message="the file you specified is not valid ...."
    > Now go away, troll.

    These two trolls from linsux land just do not get it ..

    Jennings
    baldrick, Oct 22, 2006
  16. Re: Suggested Stipulation

    On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 15:38:31 +1300, MaHogany <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 14:35:28 +0100, Adam Cameron wrote:
    >
    >> It's really not *helpful*, when someone's got a problem, to point out that
    >> maybe your OS is better than theirs, is it? No.

    > Actually it *IS* helpful to point out a better solution for them - which
    > would usually be migration to the superior OS.

    It *may* be ... if there was one.

    --
    Talpus Grumpus
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Oct 22, 2006
  17. Re: Suggested Stipulation

    In article <ehe14p$m4s$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >In message <ittkt4kbq70g$.1l2mjpo5kry7m$>, Adam Cameron
    >wrote:
    >
    >> If someone has a problem with Windows... maybe the Windows-savvy users of
    >> the forum could try to help, in a meaningful way.

    >Where was it initially stated that this was a problem with Windows?

    That's your problem. Many seem to get quite grumpy when they are offered a
    solution that would work ... except they aren't running <insert OS name
    here>.
    There are 2 assumptions here. 1) the person asking assumes that everyone
    else knows what they are talking about; 2) the answerer assumes that they
    too know ... sometimes differently :)

    Please people. If you have a problem, say what you are running (ie be a bit
    specific so people can try to offer useful help). Even variations of windows
    work differently. ... and yes ... those who think that running <whatever>
    is a silly option, help out or shut up :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 30, 2006
  18. neutrino

    MaHogany Guest

    Re: Suggested Stipulation

    On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 00:26:37 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > Please people. If you have a problem, say what you are running (ie be a bit
    > specific so people can try to offer useful help). Even variations of windows
    > work differently. ... and yes ... those who think that running <whatever>
    > is a silly option, help out or shut up :)

    That is sensible advise. :eek:)

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Oct 30, 2006