Can't delete files

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by hzatph, Jan 26, 2005.

  1. hzatph

    hzatph Guest

    I have a few files on my computer that I can't delete

    Windows X

    Files are owned by m

    When I right click them I do not get the usual list of things. Instea
    I only get a print and "send to" option. Nothing happens if I delete o
    SHIFT delete. If I try to delete the parent directory I get a file no
    found error

    How can I get rid of these files. Some are internet shortcuts

    Thank

    --
    hzatp
    hzatph's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=949

    hzatph, Jan 26, 2005

  2. hzatph

    Peter H Guest

    hzatph wrote:
    > I have a few files on my computer that I can't delete.
    >
    > Windows XP
    >
    > Files are owned by me
    >
    > When I right click them I do not get the usual list of things. Instead
    > I only get a print and "send to" option. Nothing happens if I delete or
    > SHIFT delete. If I try to delete the parent directory I get a file not
    > found error.
    >
    > How can I get rid of these files. Some are internet shortcuts.
    >
    > Thanks

    When you right-click do you have a "Properties" option. I'm thinking
    that somehow they have been made, "Read Only".

    Peter H

    Peter H, Jan 26, 2005

  3. hzatph

    Peter H Guest

    Peter H, Jan 26, 2005
  4. hzatph

    Peter H Guest

    Peter H, Jan 26, 2005
  5. hzatph

    Peter H Guest

    Peter H, Jan 26, 2005
  6. hzatph

    Aquanaut Guest

    http://members.driverguide.com/index.php?action=dosearch&qm0=280m&qa5=10&qa6=&dp=2&sm=b&jmd=and&dd=0

    Aquanaut, Jan 26, 2005
  7. hzatph

    Aquanaut Guest

    "Aquanaut" <> wrote in message

    > "hzatph" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have a few files on my computer that I can't delete.
    >>
    >> Windows XP
    >>
    >> Files are owned by me
    >>
    >> When I right click them I do not get the usual list of things. Instead
    >> I only get a print and "send to" option. Nothing happens if I delete or
    >> SHIFT delete. If I try to delete the parent directory I get a file not
    >> found error.
    >>
    >> How can I get rid of these files. Some are internet shortcuts.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >> --
    >> hzatph
    >> hzatph's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=9493
    >> View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=807187
    >>

    > http://members.driverguide.com/index.php?action=dosearch&qm0=280m&qa5=10&qa6=&dp=2&sm=b&jmd=and&dd=0

    oops sorry

    Aquanaut, Jan 26, 2005
  8. hzatph

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Hzatph - Sometimes you will find files which you are unable to delete
    because they are in use. A program called Copylock, here,
    http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=misc#CopyLock can aid in the process of
    "replacing, moving, renaming or deleting one or many files which are
    currently in use (e.g. system files like comctl32.dll, or virus/trojan
    files.)" Another is Killbox, here:
    http://www.downloads.subratam.org/KillBox.zip
    A third which is a bit different but often useful is Delete Invalid File,
    here: http://www.purgeie.com/delinv.htm which handles invalid/UNC
    file/folder name deleting, rather than the in use problem. This last is the
    one which I suspect will fix your issue, but try them all. :)

    --
    Please respond in the same thread.
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

    In news:,
    hzatph <> typed:

    Jim Byrd, Jan 26, 2005
  9. hzatph

    hzatph Guest

    hzatph, Jan 26, 2005
  10. hzatph

    Jim Byrd Guest

    YW, Hzatph - Thought that might do the trick! :)

    Jim Byrd, Jan 27, 2005