    --
    dg-2003

    "merry xmas everyone !! "

    DaveG, Dec 22, 2003

  2. DaveG

    Kendra Kay Guest

    I found this useful:

    To correct this misbehavior in Windows XP, remove the following registry
    key.

    Goto Start>>Run>>Type "regedit" goto

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850D
    C73E}\InProcServer32] - Delete this key

    This will prevent Explorer from loading shmedia.dll in response to file
    property queries on these files.
    Kendra

    "DaveG" <> wrote in message
    : I can't delete some mp3 files I copied and pasted into a folder in My
    : Documents,My Music-MP3.
    : I get the message-"cannot find the specified file" "make sure you
    : specify the correct path and filename"
    : OS-XP Home.
    : How do I delete these files??
    : Many thanks for any help.
    :
    : --
    : dg-2003
    :
    : "merry xmas everyone !! "
    :

    Kendra Kay, Dec 22, 2003

  3. DaveG

    DaveG Guest

    "Kendra Kay" <> wrote in message
    > I found this useful:
    >

    > To correct this misbehavior in Windows XP, remove the following

    registry
    > key.
    >
    > Goto Start>>Run>>Type "regedit" goto

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5F
    E6850D
    > C73E}\InProcServer32] - Delete this key
    >
    > This will prevent Explorer from loading shmedia.dll in response to

    file
    > property queries on these files.
    > Kendra

    Found the entry,deleted it.
    But alas the files/folder won't budge and the same error message
    appears ;-(
    Thanks,any more??

    --
    dg-2003

    "You Graeme Souness?People say you look like me and Magnum" - Yosser
    Hughes

    DaveG, Dec 22, 2003
  4. DaveG

    °Mike° Guest

    Open a Command Prompt window and leave it open.

    Close all open programs.

    Open TASKMGR.EXE from the Run command or by pressing
    CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

    Go to the Processes tab and End Process on Explorer.exe.

    Leave Task Manager open.

    the directory where the undeletable file is located in. At the
    command prompt type DEL <filename> where <filename>
    is the file you wish to delete.

    EXPLORER.EXE to restart the GUI shell.

    Close Task Manager.

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:30:16 -0000, in
    <bs7d7t$ksc$>
    DaveG scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 22, 2003
  5. DaveG

    Richard Guest

    DaveG wrote:

    > I can't delete some mp3 files I copied and pasted into a folder in My
    > Documents,My Music-MP3.
    > I get the message-"cannot find the specified file" "make sure you
    > specify the correct path and filename"
    > OS-XP Home.
    > How do I delete these files??
    > Many thanks for any help.

    > --
    > dg-2003

    > "merry xmas everyone !! "

    boot directly into dos if you can and delete that way.
    you could also try renaming to a shorter name then deleting.
    sometimes long file names cause that error.

    Richard, Dec 22, 2003
  6. DaveG

    Richard Guest

    DaveG wrote:

    > I can't delete some mp3 files I copied and pasted into a folder in My
    > Documents,My Music-MP3.
    > I get the message-"cannot find the specified file" "make sure you
    > specify the correct path and filename"
    > OS-XP Home.
    > How do I delete these files??
    > Many thanks for any help.

    > --
    > dg-2003

    > "merry xmas everyone !! "

    http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak1837.aspx

    Cannot Delete File Bug - Tweak

    For files that you want deleted permanently that are giving you the "cannot
    delete file... in use by another program" message, when they are NOT in use
    by another program:

    Let's restart the PC and hit F8 to reach the "Advanced Boot Options" menu.

    From this menu choose "Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt", let it boot and log in
    normally to a local administrator account. Once logged in change directories
    to the location of the file in question. Once here let's use the "del"
    command to delete the problem file.

    This method prevents the "explorer" shell from starting and "holding on" to
    the file.

    Richard, Dec 22, 2003
  7. DaveG

    Kendra Kay Guest

    Oh shoot! I was waiting for someone to ask so I could be a wise person for
    once!!
    Someone (I think it was Mike) once wrote "reboot" and that made all the
    difference. Did you?
    Kendra
    "DaveG" <> wrote in message
    : "Kendra Kay" <> wrote in message
    : news:D5HFb.27194$...
    : > I found this useful:
    : >
    : >

    Kendra Kay, Dec 22, 2003
  8. DaveG

    DaveG Guest

    "Kendra Kay" <> wrote in message
    > Oh shoot! I was waiting for someone to ask so I could be a wise

    person for
    > once!!
    > Someone (I think it was Mike) once wrote "reboot" and that made all

    the
    > difference. Did you?

    Yes.
    Thanks for your advice.
    I guess it's the long,convoluted fix the others posted then!
    ATB to you ;-)

    --

    dg-2003

    DaveG, Dec 22, 2003