    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi
    southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com

    Southern Kiwi, May 17, 2004

  2. "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:40a93e64$...
    > Win2000 pro on Armada E500 laptop running OE 6 with all patches.
    > Lost power last night, booted up this morning, ran scandisk, everything
    > works except I can no longer delete any of my emails.
    > If I click on the email it will open up and do everything as normal. Just
    > can't delete any of them.
    > Any clues??

    Just found that I can delete my hotmails from here tho, seems to be the
    clear.net ones (several addresses) that I can't.

    Cheers

    Southern Kiwi, May 17, 2004

  3. "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Win2000 pro on Armada E500 laptop running OE 6 with all patches.
    > > Lost power last night, booted up this morning, ran scandisk, everything
    > > works except I can no longer delete any of my emails.
    > > If I click on the email it will open up and do everything as normal.

    Just
    > > can't delete any of them.
    > > Any clues??
    > >

    > Just found that I can delete my hotmails from here tho, seems to be the
    > clear.net ones (several addresses) that I can't.
    >
    > Cheers

    Hmm? getting tricky.....it appears my "deleted items" folder is missing, I
    still have one in the hotmail folder and can move my emails there and then
    they get deleted, but how do I get my "normal" deleted items folder back?

    Southern Kiwi, May 18, 2004
  4. Southern Kiwi

    zed Guest

    Southern Kiwi wrote:

    > "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Win2000 pro on Armada E500 laptop running OE 6 with all patches.
    >>Lost power last night, booted up this morning, ran scandisk, everything
    >>works except I can no longer delete any of my emails.
    >>If I click on the email it will open up and do everything as normal. Just
    >>can't delete any of them.
    >>Any clues??
    >>

    > Just found that I can delete my hotmails from here tho, seems to be the
    > clear.net ones (several addresses) that I can't.
    >
    > Cheers

    If you are saying that you can't delete downloaded emails, then you
    probably have a damaged file - "deleted items.dbx"
    If there are items in deleted items that you want to keep, then move
    them to another folder.
    Shutdown OE.
    Find and delete the file "deleted items.dbx" (The location of this file
    can be found by looking at Tools|Options|Maintenance tab|"Store Folder"
    button)
    Alternatively to deleting the file, shift it to another folder location,
    or rename it - if you are concerned about permanently losing stuff in
    deleted items.
    Resart OE - a new empty "deleted items.dbx" file will be created.

    The "folders" that you see in are all *.dbx database files containing
    your emails.

    zed, May 18, 2004
  5. Southern Kiwi

    zed Guest

    Southern Kiwi wrote:

    > "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Win2000 pro on Armada E500 laptop running OE 6 with all patches.
    >>>Lost power last night, booted up this morning, ran scandisk, everything
    >>>works except I can no longer delete any of my emails.
    >>>If I click on the email it will open up and do everything as normal.

    > Just
    >
    >>>can't delete any of them.
    >>>Any clues??
    >>>

    >>Just found that I can delete my hotmails from here tho, seems to be the
    >>clear.net ones (several addresses) that I can't.
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>

    > Hmm? getting tricky.....it appears my "deleted items" folder is missing, I
    > still have one in the hotmail folder and can move my emails there and then
    > they get deleted, but how do I get my "normal" deleted items folder back?

    See my previous reply.
    The deleted items.dbx file will be there, but is corrupt.
    Typically (by default) it will be at:
    C:\Documents and Settings\MyPC\Local Settings\Application
    Data\Identities\{xxxxxxyour unique ID numberxxxxxxx}\Microsoft\Outlook
    Express\deleted items.dbx
    A newly created "blank" deleted items.dbx file size is about 59kb.

    zed, May 18, 2004
  6. Southern Kiwi wrote:
    > Lost power last night, booted up this morning, ran scandisk, everything
    > works except I can no longer delete any of my emails.
    > If I click on the email it will open up and do everything as normal. Just
    > can't delete any of them.
    >
    > Any clues??

    corrupt DBX file?

    delete the file "folders.dbx" from your profile on your machine, and it
    may work again.

    All this folder stores is the folder info, rules(as in where the rules
    send the emails to which folder) and is re-created when you open OE next
    time.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 18, 2004
  7. zed wrote:
    > Alternatively to deleting the file, shift it to another folder location,
    > or rename it - if you are concerned about permanently losing stuff in
    > deleted items.
    > Resart OE - a new empty "deleted items.dbx" file will be created.
    > The "folders" that you see in are all *.dbx database files containing
    > your emails.

    Just to add to that, to see the folder you renamed(was "deleted
    items.dbx), you'll have to delete folders.dbx too so that your folder
    list is re-created.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 18, 2004
  8. Southern Kiwi

    zed Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > zed wrote:
    >
    >> Alternatively to deleting the file, shift it to another folder
    >> location, or rename it - if you are concerned about permanently losing
    >> stuff in deleted items.
    >> Resart OE - a new empty "deleted items.dbx" file will be created.
    >> The "folders" that you see in are all *.dbx database files containing
    >> your emails.

    > Just to add to that, to see the folder you renamed(was "deleted
    > items.dbx), you'll have to delete folders.dbx too so that your folder
    > list is re-created.

    You are probably right in that it is a corrupted folders.dbx rather than
    deleted items.dbx - as I note he says that the deleted items "folder"
    isn't visible at all in the OE folders pane.
    I would delete both and allow them to both be recreated.
    Oddly - deleting folders.dbx will not neccessarily recreate all folders
    - if I copy and rename deleted items.dbx, it will not appear in the pane
    when I restart OE.

    zed, May 18, 2004
  9. "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    > zed wrote:
    > > Alternatively to deleting the file, shift it to another folder location,
    > > or rename it - if you are concerned about permanently losing stuff in
    > > deleted items.
    > > Resart OE - a new empty "deleted items.dbx" file will be created.
    > > The "folders" that you see in are all *.dbx database files containing
    > > your emails.

    > Just to add to that, to see the folder you renamed(was "deleted
    > items.dbx), you'll have to delete folders.dbx too so that your folder
    > list is re-created.

    Thanx for the help Dave & Zed
    I have deleted the "deleted items.dbx" but still have the same problem.
    If I delete folders.dbx, will I lose all my emails in those folders? (just
    so I know to move them)
    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi

    Southern Kiwi, May 18, 2004
  10. Southern Kiwi

    zed Guest

    Southern Kiwi wrote:

    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>zed wrote:
    >>
    >>>Alternatively to deleting the file, shift it to another folder location,
    >>>or rename it - if you are concerned about permanently losing stuff in
    >>>deleted items.
    >>>Resart OE - a new empty "deleted items.dbx" file will be created.
    >>>The "folders" that you see in are all *.dbx database files containing
    >>>your emails.

    >>Just to add to that, to see the folder you renamed(was "deleted
    >>items.dbx), you'll have to delete folders.dbx too so that your folder
    >>list is re-created.

    > Thanx for the help Dave & Zed
    > I have deleted the "deleted items.dbx" but still have the same problem.
    > If I delete folders.dbx, will I lose all my emails in those folders? (just
    > so I know to move them)
    > Cheers
    > Southern Kiwi

    No - it will be okay.
    If you have any concerns - before you do it, save a copy of the entire
    folder containing your *.dbx files somewhere else. Not a bad idea to do
    a backup of those files anyway.

    zed, May 18, 2004
  11. That did it!

    Thanks Again

    "zed" <> wrote in message >

    <snip lots of good advice>

    Southern Kiwi, May 18, 2004
  12. Southern Kiwi wrote:
    > Thanx for the help Dave & Zed
    > I have deleted the "deleted items.dbx" but still have the same problem.
    > If I delete folders.dbx, will I lose all my emails in those folders? (just
    > so I know to move them)

    nope, all folders.dbx contains is the folder structure, and where mail
    rules send mail to... oh, and the list of newsgroups available when you
    choose subscribe, but that can be reset easily enough.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 18, 2004