    This is a new problem as I have always been able to delete before.

    any suggestions?

    Tia BH
    Broom Hilda, Aug 14, 2005

  2. Broom Hilda

    Old Gringo Guest

    Broom Hilda wrote:
    > Hi all - I can't delete email messages in my inbox. I am using outlook
    > express and my OS is 98SE.
    > This is a new problem as I have always been able to delete before.
    >
    > any suggestions?
    >
    > Tia BH

    You may need to empty the deleted items folder. Guess.

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life
    Old Gringo, Aug 14, 2005

  3. Broom Hilda

    Broom Hilda Guest

    Thanks but I was able to empty all other folders. I have nothing in sent
    email or deleted items. But my inbox will not empty.
    Broom Hilda, Aug 14, 2005
  4. Broom Hilda

    Gordon Guest

    Broom Hilda wrote:

    > Hi all - I can't delete email messages in my inbox. I am using outlook
    > express and my OS is 98SE.
    > This is a new problem as I have always been able to delete before.
    >
    > any suggestions?
    >
    > Tia BH

    You probably have a corrupted Deleted Items Folder. The following applies to
    Inbox - just substitute "Deleted Items" for "Inbox"

    Corrupted Mail folder:
    Courtesy of Bruce Hagen:
    First move any mail you want to save from the Inbox to a folder you
    create. Then:

    Tools>Options>Maintenance>Store folder will reveal the location
    of your Outlook Express files. Press the Tab key to highlight the
    folder location, then Ctrl+C. Close OE, then Start>Run>Ctrl+V will
    put the location in the box - Click OK and you'll see the OE files.
    Otherwise, write the location down and navigate to it in Windows
    Explorer.

    In WindowsXP, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default
    marked as hidden. To view these files in Explorer, you must enable
    Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start>Control Panel>Folder
    Options>View.

    With OE closed, find the DBX file for the folder in
    question {Inbox.dbx} and delete it. A new one will be created
    automatically when you open OE.

    Do not archive mail on default OE folders. They will eventually
    become corrupted. Create your own user defined folders for storing
    mail and move your mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder
    regularly.

    After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually
    while working *offline* and do it often.

    File>Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the Status Bar).
    File>Folder>Compact all folders.

    In Tools>Options>Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background
    and leave it unchecked.
    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Kubuntu 5.04 and Open Office 2.0
    Gordon, Aug 14, 2005
  5. Broom Hilda

    Broom Hilda Guest

    Thanks - tried that but It said it couldn't locate files. Couldn't use
    repair either because of missing files. Reinstalled IE and Outlook Express
    works now. I was able to delete my inbox with no problem.
    Thanks for your help.

    BH
    Broom Hilda, Aug 14, 2005