Can't delete a folder

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com, Apr 26, 2004.

  1. Running Windows XP pro.

    I have a folder on one of my drives that I just can't delete. I do it
    within windows explorer and it says the file cannot be deleted, that the
    location cannot be found. But its still there, and I see it in
    explorer. I also tried to do it from a command prompt, but it says it
    cannot find the specified path. This folder is there, and it shows up,
    if the path cannot be found why would it show up. Well any help you
    guys have would be appreciated, thanks.
    --
    Night_Seer
     
    ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com, Apr 26, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com

    cozy Guest

    You didn't really say, but is this a folder you created yourself and put
    things in and then are done with? If not, maybe you have some system
    folder with files in it that are not displaying because you have some
    setting to hide read only files or something. I don't know how different
    your explorer for your files on your computer is, but in win 98 you can
    click on 'view' (not browser, but in your windows explorer) and then see
    hidden files, which gives you the option of not checking the box that hides
    them. I have 'show all files' checked. So, theoretically, that could be
    a reason that it won't delete, because there are read only important files
    in the folder that 'appears' to be empty.

    --
    *Busco la excelencia, no la perfección. (I seek excellence, not perfection)

    email: change the word cozy to cozyhomelife and change the word netscape to
    net
    ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com <"ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com"> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Running Windows XP pro.
    >
    > I have a folder on one of my drives that I just can't delete. I do it
    > within windows explorer and it says the file cannot be deleted, that the
    > location cannot be found. But its still there, and I see it in
    > explorer. I also tried to do it from a command prompt, but it says it
    > cannot find the specified path. This folder is there, and it shows up,
    > if the path cannot be found why would it show up. Well any help you
    > guys have would be appreciated, thanks.
    > --
    > Night_Seer
     
    cozy, Apr 26, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com" <"ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com"> wrote in
    news::

    > explorer. I also tried to do it from a command prompt, but it says it
    > cannot find the specified path. This folder is there, and it shows up,
    > if the path cannot be found why would it show up. Well any help you
    > guys have would be appreciated, thanks.


    Run a chkdsk /x x: (where x: is the drive letter).

    You may have to reboot to chkdsk if it is the system drive.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
     
    DeMoN LaG, Apr 26, 2004
    #3
  4. ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Apr 26, 2004
    #4
  5. cozy wrote:
    > You didn't really say, but is this a folder you created yourself and put
    > things in and then are done with? If not, maybe you have some system
    > folder with files in it that are not displaying because you have some
    > setting to hide read only files or something. I don't know how different
    > your explorer for your files on your computer is, but in win 98 you can
    > click on 'view' (not browser, but in your windows explorer) and then see
    > hidden files, which gives you the option of not checking the box that hides
    > them. I have 'show all files' checked. So, theoretically, that could be
    > a reason that it won't delete, because there are read only important files
    > in the folder that 'appears' to be empty.
    >
    > --
    > *Busco la excelencia, no la perfección. (I seek excellence, not perfection)
    >
    > email: change the word cozy to cozyhomelife and change the word netscape to
    > net
    > ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com <"ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com"> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >
    >>Running Windows XP pro.
    >>
    >>I have a folder on one of my drives that I just can't delete. I do it
    >>within windows explorer and it says the file cannot be deleted, that the
    >>location cannot be found. But its still there, and I see it in
    >>explorer. I also tried to do it from a command prompt, but it says it
    >>cannot find the specified path. This folder is there, and it shows up,
    >>if the path cannot be found why would it show up. Well any help you
    >>guys have would be appreciated, thanks.
    >>--
    >>Night_Seer

    >
    >
    >

    No, Its definately not a system file or hidden file, its just a folder
    for mp3's but its useless and empty, and bugging me

    --
    Night_Seer
     
    ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com, Apr 27, 2004
    #5
  6. Plato wrote:

    > cozy wrote:
    >
    >>You didn't really say, but is this a folder you created yourself and put
    >>things in and then are done with? If not, maybe you have some system

    >
    >
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop10.htm#8
    >
    >
    >
    >

    No, it's nothing like that, no .dll just a plain old folder that is
    empty that used to contain mp3's

    --
    Night_Seer
     
    ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com, Apr 27, 2004
    #6
  7. DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > "ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com" <"ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com"> wrote in
    > news::
    >
    >
    >>explorer. I also tried to do it from a command prompt, but it says it
    >>cannot find the specified path. This folder is there, and it shows up,
    >>if the path cannot be found why would it show up. Well any help you
    >>guys have would be appreciated, thanks.

    >
    >
    > Run a chkdsk /x x: (where x: is the drive letter).
    >
    > You may have to reboot to chkdsk if it is the system drive.
    >

    I ran it, and didn't find any problems. The only thing that seems odd
    about this folder that I can see is that it has two periods at the end
    of the name. I can't do anything with this folder (rename, delete, move).

    --
    Night_Seer
     
    ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com, Apr 27, 2004
    #7
  8. ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com

    Trent© Guest

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 18:07:34 -0700, "ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com"
    <"ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com"> wrote:

    >I ran it, and didn't find any problems. The only thing that seems odd
    >about this folder that I can see is that it has two periods at the end
    >of the name. I can't do anything with this folder (rename, delete, move).


    Can you right click and see its properties?


    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    What do you call a smart blonde?
    A golden retriever.
     
    Trent©, Apr 27, 2004
    #8
  9. ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com

    Thor Guest


    > > You may have to reboot to chkdsk if it is the system drive.
    > >

    > I ran it, and didn't find any problems. The only thing that seems odd
    > about this folder that I can see is that it has two periods at the end
    > of the name. I can't do anything with this folder (rename, delete, move).


    Whenever you have a stubborn folder or file that you can't delete the normal
    way in XP, this sometimes works. Just open a command prompt window, then
    bring up the task manager and kill the explorer process, which unloads the
    shell, and usually releases it's hold on the problem file so it can be
    manipulated. Then switch to the command prompt window and proceed to delete
    the folder or file using DOS commands. After that, go back to the task
    manager (should still be running) and click the "new task" button, and type
    "explorer.exe" and the windows GUI shell will fire back up in all it's
    glory.
     
    Thor, Apr 27, 2004
    #9
  10. ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com

    cozy Guest

    It's probably not it, but one has to try everything they can when you've
    tried everything else. Another thought that might have something to do
    with it... If you have your mp3 player (whatever device you chose to play
    them on your computer), if you have it to auto load, then it may have some
    link to that folder. So you can never delete something that your computer
    thinks is 'open'. Make sure that your MP3 player, any player/s that you
    used to play whatever was in that folder are _closed_, not in the bottom
    right tray. If they are down there, right click on them and close them.
    You turn your computer off once a day, don't you? The reason I ask is
    that sometimes I delete things but they look like they are still in the
    windows recycle bin until I reboot and then the can is empty.

    --
    *Busco la excelencia, no la perfección. (I seek excellence, not perfection)

    email: change the word cozy to cozyhomelife and change the word netscape to
    net
    ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com <"ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com"> wrote in
    message news:...
    > cozy wrote:
    > > You didn't really say, but is this a folder you created yourself and put
    > > things in and then are done with? If not, maybe you have some system
    > > folder with files in it that are not displaying because you have some
    > > setting to hide read only files or something. I don't know how

    different
    > > your explorer for your files on your computer is, but in win 98 you can
    > > click on 'view' (not browser, but in your windows explorer) and then see
    > > hidden files, which gives you the option of not checking the box that

    hides
    > > them. I have 'show all files' checked. So, theoretically, that

    could be
    > > a reason that it won't delete, because there are read only important

    files
    > > in the folder that 'appears' to be empty.
    > >
    > > --
    > > *Busco la excelencia, no la perfección. (I seek excellence, not

    perfection)
    > >
    > > email: change the word cozy to cozyhomelife and change the word netscap

    e to
    > > net
    > > ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com <"ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com"> wrote in
    > > message news:...
    > >
    > >>Running Windows XP pro.
    > >>
    > >>I have a folder on one of my drives that I just can't delete. I do it
    > >>within windows explorer and it says the file cannot be deleted, that the
    > >>location cannot be found. But its still there, and I see it in
    > >>explorer. I also tried to do it from a command prompt, but it says it
    > >>cannot find the specified path. This folder is there, and it shows up,
    > >>if the path cannot be found why would it show up. Well any help you
    > >>guys have would be appreciated, thanks.
    > >>--
    > >>Night_Seer

    > >
    > >
    > >

    > No, Its definately not a system file or hidden file, its just a folder
    > for mp3's but its useless and empty, and bugging me
    >
    > --
    > Night_Seer
     
    cozy, Apr 27, 2004
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. William W. Plummer

    Can't delete mail folder

    William W. Plummer, Aug 30, 2004, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    1,470
    Andreas
    Sep 6, 2004
  2. Terry Lange

    Can I delete this folder? Please advise

    Terry Lange, Oct 10, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    472
    Barry OGrady
    Oct 11, 2003
  3. Phil T
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    11,153
    itsmeue
    Jul 2, 2011
  4. edgy
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,429
  5. zZz
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,007
    SgtMinor
    Jan 12, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page