    wires snaking to new devices.
    I've got 3000 to spend.
    Joy

    Joy, Dec 27, 2003

  2. Joy

    Gurble Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 08:13:19 +1300, "Joy" <> wrote:

    >I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty old pc.
    >It seems I can halve the cost by buying another pc but it's hardly portable
    >and very occasionally, I need to transport it for scanning images during
    >field trips. It also needs to be able to do 3D cad.
    >Is there a compromise?
    >No matter how long I wait, whatever system is purchased will be out of date
    >within weeks and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded by
    >wires snaking to new devices.
    >I've got 3000 to spend.
    >Joy

    For CAD work, you'd be silly to get a laptop. Heaps more grunt from a
    PC, plus save a few dollars.

    How about something like this:

    http://www.prosouth.co.nz/hardware/products/gamingcase.html

    Gurble, Dec 27, 2003

  3. Joy

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Joy" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty old

    pc.
    > It seems I can halve the cost by buying another pc but it's hardly

    portable
    > and very occasionally, I need to transport it for scanning images during
    > field trips. It also needs to be able to do 3D cad.
    > Is there a compromise?
    > No matter how long I wait, whatever system is purchased will be out of

    date
    > within weeks and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded by
    > wires snaking to new devices.
    > I've got 3000 to spend.
    > Joy

    It will hardly be out of date with the right options - None can be claimed
    as being the fastest. A well optioned PC with a good amount of RAM should
    last be useful for a few years at least. Of course a new budget PC (which
    is well below what you'll get) is a lot more limited in some things, though
    not as bad as the budget PCs used to be.
    For 3 grand if you want some real power you're best with a desktop - a 3
    grand laptop isn't going to offer the same. Also it all depends what you
    have now and how big a step up in power you need. A 2 to 3 grand laptop is
    pretty close to a budget PC desktop of about a grand these days. With the
    laptop you won't have to worry about the biggest and latest being out of
    date - not for a budget one in your price range. Could still be useable
    enough for your needs - your needs for the next few years should be
    considered over anything else.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Dec 27, 2003
  4. Joy

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 08:13:19 +1300, "Joy" <> wrote:

    >I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty old pc.
    >It seems I can halve the cost by buying another pc but it's hardly portable
    >and very occasionally, I need to transport it for scanning images during
    >field trips. It also needs to be able to do 3D cad.
    >Is there a compromise?
    >No matter how long I wait, whatever system is purchased will be out of date
    >within weeks and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded by
    >wires snaking to new devices.
    >I've got 3000 to spend.
    >Joy

    Best advice is to shop around Joy. Dell have been putting the squeeze
    on the other laptop suppliers of late and they've reacted by
    frequently putting out special deals on certain models to keep their
    prices competitive. My own pick at present is IBM or Toshiba, they
    seem to be the most aggressive with price at present & you can find
    very reasonably priced ones if you're not in a hurry. Recently picked
    up a very nice new IBM Thinkpad P4 2.4ghz for someone for under
    $2000... had a 3year warranty & all. Warranty is a big deal with
    laptops, get 3yrs if you can.

    If your scanner is USB then it will work with any new laptop. You
    should be able to do 3D Cad on most modern laptops, although it would
    pay to check the hardware specs for the software.

    I don't see the need for you to spend $3k unless you want a slimline
    model or other bells & whistles. The entry-level range of laptops are
    fine for most people IMO.

    Cheers

    Gavin

    Gavin Tunney, Dec 27, 2003
  5. Joy

    DUser Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 08:13:19 +1300, Joy wrote:

    > I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty old pc.
    > It seems I can halve the cost by buying another pc but it's hardly portable
    > and very occasionally, I need to transport it for scanning images during
    > field trips. It also needs to be able to do 3D cad.
    > Is there a compromise?
    > No matter how long I wait, whatever system is purchased will be out of date
    > within weeks and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded by
    > wires snaking to new devices.
    > I've got 3000 to spend.
    > Joy

    Buy the best Dell laptop, preferably a latitude rather than an inspiron
    Plug in a big monitor when you need one.
    Transporting a desktop is a big pain in the arse.
    Most of the stuff you will want to connect will either network or connect
    with USB2

    DUser, Dec 27, 2003
  6. Joy

    Robert Guest

    And it is worthwile going to a 3 year warranty on a laptop

    Robert, Dec 27, 2003
  7. Joy

    Robert Guest

    The 3 year warranty upgrade is worthwile.
    Check the rotational speed of the hard disk. Lots of laptops still ship the
    4200RPM drives as standard.
    Also be aware that lots of the new laptops don't have the old 25 pin
    parallel ports any more. Just extra USB ports.

    Robert, Dec 27, 2003
  8. Joy

    Joy Guest

    "Gurble" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 08:13:19 +1300, "Joy" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty old

    pc.
    > >It seems I can halve the cost by buying another pc but it's hardly

    portable
    > >and very occasionally, I need to transport it for scanning images during
    > >field trips. It also needs to be able to do 3D cad.
    > >Is there a compromise?
    > >No matter how long I wait, whatever system is purchased will be out of

    date
    > >within weeks and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded by
    > >wires snaking to new devices.
    > >I've got 3000 to spend.
    > >Joy
    > >

    > For CAD work, you'd be silly to get a laptop. Heaps more grunt from a
    > PC, plus save a few dollars.
    >
    > How about something like this:
    >
    > http://www.prosouth.co.nz/hardware/products/gamingcase.html

    You've given me something to think about. If I had a box like that built
    for round about a grand, I've already got a spare license for xp and a spare
    monitor, I might still have enough left over for a second-hand laptop for
    those field trips.
    What would you suggest for a motherboard and processor?
    Joy

    Joy, Dec 27, 2003
  9. Joy

    Joy Guest

    "E. Scrooge" < (remove eye)> wrote in message

    > "Joy" <> wrote in message news:...
    > > I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty old

    > pc.
    > > It seems I can halve the cost by buying another pc but it's hardly

    > portable
    > > and very occasionally, I need to transport it for scanning images during
    > > field trips. It also needs to be able to do 3D cad.
    > > Is there a compromise?
    > > No matter how long I wait, whatever system is purchased will be out of

    > date
    > > within weeks and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded by
    > > wires snaking to new devices.
    > > I've got 3000 to spend.
    > > Joy

    > It will hardly be out of date with the right options - None can be claimed
    > as being the fastest. A well optioned PC with a good amount of RAM should
    > last be useful for a few years at least. Of course a new budget PC (which
    > is well below what you'll get) is a lot more limited in some things,

    though
    > not as bad as the budget PCs used to be.
    > For 3 grand if you want some real power you're best with a desktop - a 3
    > grand laptop isn't going to offer the same. Also it all depends what you
    > have now and how big a step up in power you need. A 2 to 3 grand laptop

    is
    > pretty close to a budget PC desktop of about a grand these days. With the
    > laptop you won't have to worry about the biggest and latest being out of
    > date - not for a budget one in your price range. Could still be useable
    > enough for your needs - your needs for the next few years should be
    > considered over anything else.

    Thanks for your thoughts, really appreciated. Changing pc's is not like
    buying a new pair of shoes cause I'll have to wear it for years.
    Joy

    Joy, Dec 27, 2003
  10. Joy

    Joy Guest

    "DUser" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 08:13:19 +1300, Joy wrote:
    >
    > > I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty old

    pc.
    > > It seems I can halve the cost by buying another pc but it's hardly

    portable
    > > and very occasionally, I need to transport it for scanning images during
    > > field trips. It also needs to be able to do 3D cad.
    > > Is there a compromise?
    > > No matter how long I wait, whatever system is purchased will be out of

    date
    > > within weeks and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded by
    > > wires snaking to new devices.
    > > I've got 3000 to spend.
    > > Joy

    > Buy the best Dell laptop, preferably a latitude rather than an inspiron
    > Plug in a big monitor when you need one.
    > Transporting a desktop is a big pain in the arse.
    > Most of the stuff you will want to connect will either network or connect
    > with USB2

    Well, I've never been a fan of Dell, maybe I should have another look.
    Joy

    Joy, Dec 27, 2003
  11. Joy

    chris Guest

    Joy wrote:

    > I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty old
    > pc. It seems I can halve the cost by buying another pc but it's hardly
    > portable and very occasionally, I need to transport it for scanning images
    > during field trips. It also needs to be able to do 3D cad.
    > Is there a compromise?
    > No matter how long I wait, whatever system is purchased will be out of
    > date within weeks and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded
    > by
    > wires snaking to new devices.
    > I've got 3000 to spend.
    > Joy

    Why not give some thought to a Shuttle XPC.

    http://www.shuttlegroup.com/

    Chris.

    chris, Dec 27, 2003
  12. Joy

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > > > I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty

    old
    > > pc.
    > > > It seems I can halve the cost by buying another pc but it's hardly

    > > portable
    > > > and very occasionally, I need to transport it for scanning images

    during
    > > > field trips. It also needs to be able to do 3D cad.
    > > > Is there a compromise?
    > > > No matter how long I wait, whatever system is purchased will be out of

    > > date
    > > > within weeks and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded

    by
    > > > wires snaking to new devices.
    > > > I've got 3000 to spend.
    > > > Joy

    > > It will hardly be out of date with the right options - None can be

    claimed
    > > as being the fastest. A well optioned PC with a good amount of RAM

    should
    > > last be useful for a few years at least. Of course a new budget PC

    (which
    > > is well below what you'll get) is a lot more limited in some things,

    > though
    > > not as bad as the budget PCs used to be.
    > > For 3 grand if you want some real power you're best with a desktop - a 3
    > > grand laptop isn't going to offer the same. Also it all depends what

    you
    > > have now and how big a step up in power you need. A 2 to 3 grand laptop

    > is
    > > pretty close to a budget PC desktop of about a grand these days. With

    the
    > > laptop you won't have to worry about the biggest and latest being out of
    > > date - not for a budget one in your price range. Could still be useable
    > > enough for your needs - your needs for the next few years should be
    > > considered over anything else.

    > Thanks for your thoughts, really appreciated. Changing pc's is not like
    > buying a new pair of shoes cause I'll have to wear it for years.
    > Joy

    For years of hopefully reliable use, the plug in desktop is probably still
    hard to beat especially for the extra power it'll have and any minor
    upgrades. The advantage over a laptop is that if the monitor stuffs up,
    it's almost no big deal, just replace the monitor (outside the warranty).
    With a stuffed monitor on a laptop - well it makes the whole thing pretty
    useless especially if that's the main computer with your stuff on it.
    You could always pick up a cheap budget laptop later if you'll get enough
    use out of it out and about as well. I wouldn't mind a cheap laptop to have
    as well, while the desktop would still be the main computer.

    Whatever you choose you won't be disappointed, XP is reliable and easy to
    get used to. At least 512MB RAM and a good video card should be in your new
    PC for your needs. You'll get that easy enough for 3 grand or even a bit
    less. It comes down to your choice, don't let anyone talk you into
    anything, it's a bigger market than ever.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Dec 27, 2003
  13. Joy

    DUser Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 11:46:55 +1300, Joy wrote:

    > "DUser" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 08:13:19 +1300, Joy wrote:
    >>
    >> > I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty old

    > pc.
    >> > It seems I can halve the cost by buying another pc but it's hardly

    > portable
    >> > and very occasionally, I need to transport it for scanning images during
    >> > field trips. It also needs to be able to do 3D cad.
    >> > Is there a compromise?
    >> > No matter how long I wait, whatever system is purchased will be out of

    > date
    >> > within weeks and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded by
    >> > wires snaking to new devices.
    >> > I've got 3000 to spend.
    >> > Joy

    >> Buy the best Dell laptop, preferably a latitude rather than an inspiron
    >> Plug in a big monitor when you need one.
    >> Transporting a desktop is a big pain in the arse.
    >> Most of the stuff you will want to connect will either network or connect
    >> with USB2

    > Well, I've never been a fan of Dell, maybe I should have another look.
    > Joy

    Buy a Thinkpad then
    Plenty of well built laptops fit within your price window.
    Build quality is critical.
    Guarantee is more important with laptops as they are much more proprietary
    construction and a single fault or breakage can incapacitate the whole
    thing, so go for a high volume first tier manufacturer like Toshiba IBM
    Compaq or Dell.
    I have a succession of Dell laptops, I build my desktops from bits,
    because they are modular and I can optimize them.
    I have a couple of lightweight desktops, a shuttle and a Via Epia mini-ITX
    and they are no substitute for a laptop.

    DUser, Dec 27, 2003
  14. Joy

    ac Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty old pc.
    > It seems I can halve the cost by buying another pc but it's hardly portable
    > and very occasionally, I need to transport it for scanning images during
    > field trips. It also needs to be able to do 3D cad.
    > Is there a compromise?
    > No matter how long I wait, whatever system is purchased will be out of date
    > within weeks and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded by
    > wires snaking to new devices.
    > I've got 3000 to spend.
    > Joy

    Look just send me the money and you'll have nothing to decide.

    I'd buy a cheap secondhand laptop and a mid-range new PC.

    ac, Dec 27, 2003
  15. Joy

    Gurble Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 11:37:00 +1300, "Joy" <> wrote:

    >"Gurble" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 08:13:19 +1300, "Joy" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty old

    >pc.
    >> >It seems I can halve the cost by buying another pc but it's hardly

    >portable
    >> >and very occasionally, I need to transport it for scanning images during
    >> >field trips. It also needs to be able to do 3D cad.
    >> >Is there a compromise?
    >> >No matter how long I wait, whatever system is purchased will be out of

    >date
    >> >within weeks and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded by
    >> >wires snaking to new devices.
    >> >I've got 3000 to spend.
    >> >Joy
    >> >

    >> For CAD work, you'd be silly to get a laptop. Heaps more grunt from a
    >> PC, plus save a few dollars.
    >>
    >> How about something like this:
    >>
    >> http://www.prosouth.co.nz/hardware/products/gamingcase.html

    >You've given me something to think about. If I had a box like that built
    >for round about a grand, I've already got a spare license for xp and a spare
    >monitor, I might still have enough left over for a second-hand laptop for
    >those field trips.
    >What would you suggest for a motherboard and processor?
    >Joy

    If I was you, I'd fire off an email to them and ask them to price up a
    system based on that case for around a grand (you should get something
    reasonable for ~$1000 with no monitor or Windows).

    They're usually quick at replying, although looking at their site it
    appears that they're closed for the break.

    Without wanting to start a religious debate about processors etc, I'd
    think you'd get around a 2500+ Barton AthlonXP on a reasonable MoBo
    (Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, in that order IMHO). You don't want onboard
    graphics, and you probably want 512MB RAM at least for CAD work,
    although you can always add more RAM later - possibly better to focus
    on CPU and Mobo now. (you can add RAM later, whereas you've got to
    replace other items).

    It basically comes down to price/performance.

    Maybe something like their SOHO workstation with no monitor or
    Windows, with the handled case, and a slightly slower processor might
    be around a grand.

    http://www.prosouth.co.nz/hardware/systems/

    Service-wise, can't recommend these guys enough - have been using them
    for well over a year with no problems whatsoever.

    2c

    Gurble, Dec 27, 2003
  16. Joy

    Mike Dee Guest

    In article <>, Joy wrote:

    > "E. Scrooge" < (remove eye)> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Joy" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> > I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty old

    >> pc.

    >> > Is there a compromise?

    >> > and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded by
    >> > wires snaking to new devices.

    >> For 3 grand if you want some real power you're best with a desktop - a 3
    >> grand laptop isn't going to offer the same. Also it all depends what you
    >> have now and how big a step up in power you need. A 2 to 3 grand laptop

    > is
    >> pretty close to a budget PC desktop of about a grand these days. With the
    >> laptop you won't have to worry about the biggest and latest being out of
    >> date - not for a budget one in your price range. Could still be useable
    >> enough for your needs - your needs for the next few years should be
    >> considered over anything else.

    > Thanks for your thoughts, really appreciated. Changing pc's is not like
    > buying a new pair of shoes cause I'll have to wear it for years.
    > Joy

    It sounds to me you really would like both desktop and laptop. But the
    budget is the critical factor. Perhaps a newish 2nd hand Desktop in the
    $700 - $800 range, and a new laptop in the $2200 - $2300 may be a
    compromise?

    Major pc manufacturers seem to be offering good deals on portable and
    desktop computers right now, so it'll pay to shop around.

    As for being surrounded by wires, perhaps wireless networking to external
    devices could be another consideration... adds to cost though.

    Good luck in your quest.

    Mike Dee, Dec 27, 2003
  17. Joy

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <>, "Joy" <> wrote:

    > I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty old pc.
    > It seems I can halve the cost by buying another pc but it's hardly portable
    > and very occasionally, I need to transport it for scanning images during
    > field trips. It also needs to be able to do 3D cad.
    > Is there a compromise?
    > No matter how long I wait, whatever system is purchased will be out of date
    > within weeks and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded by
    > wires snaking to new devices.
    > I've got 3000 to spend.

    Faced with the same dilema, my father decided to go for one of those
    'all-in-one' pcs. Its pretty much a PC, but everything is in one slim
    unit so its easy to pick up and take to another office, etc. I can't
    remember what brand they were, but I know Ascent was selling them:
    http://www.ascent.co.nz/
    I can't seem to find them on their site at the moment though.

    --
    madknoxie
    Yes; we'll have true broadband here when everyone else has moved to

    madknoxie, Dec 28, 2003