Can't decide!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Glo, Aug 8, 2003.

  1. Glo

    Glo Guest

    Hi,

    I've read reviews, opinions, etc., at recommended web sites in this
    forum and can't decide which camera to buy.

    I'm inclined toward the Canon G5, G3 or Olympus 5050Z. I an not
    knowledgeable enough, but would like to learn and don't want to regret
    not getting something I needed in my new camera.

    At first I thought it was between the G5 and the 5050, but then I've
    heard that the G3 is almost the same as the G5. My actual camera is an
    Olympus 1.3 mega pixel and I wanted to get the most I could for my
    budget, but I'm hearing that there is not much of a difference between
    the two Canon's.

    The Olympus is cheaper than the Canon, but then it has 3X zoom while the
    G5 has 4X. Is this a big difference? I remember trying to capture a
    hummingbird with my Olympus 340R, that's when I realized I needed zoom:)

    I never liked the instructions manual for my Olympus and I've heard that
    the Canon has a very good one. I went to both their websites, however,
    and I found the Olympus site more informative than the Canon site.

    Then some people say that they prefer being able to use AA batteries,
    but most are raving about the long life of the Lithion-Ion.

    What would be the most significant differences (pro's and con's) between
    the G3 and the 5050?? Also, any opinions about Canon and Olympus'
    service would be appreciated.

    Thank you,
    --
    ~ Gloria ~
    Glo, Aug 8, 2003

  2. > I'm inclined toward the Canon G5, G3 or Olympus 5050Z.

    I researched them all and am getting the G3 this weekend.

    > At first I thought it was between the G5 and the 5050, but then I've
    > heard that the G3 is almost the same as the G5. My actual camera is an
    > Olympus 1.3 mega pixel and I wanted to get the most I could for my
    > budget, but I'm hearing that there is not much of a difference between
    > the two Canon's.

    Other than one is black and one is silver, not much difference in quality.
    All the specs other than 4 to 5 megapixels are the same on everything.

    > The Olympus is cheaper than the Canon, but then it has 3X zoom while the
    > G5 has 4X. Is this a big difference?

    Not so much as the quality of the image from Canon over the Olympus.
    Plus you can just crop the photo afterwards and zoom in that way.

    > I never liked the instructions manual for my Olympus and I've heard that
    > the Canon has a very good one. I went to both their websites, however,
    > and I found the Olympus site more informative than the Canon site.

    Don't punish the camera designers because the website designers are morons,
    but have you seen this?
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong3/

    > Then some people say that they prefer being able to use AA batteries,
    > but most are raving about the long life of the Lithion-Ion.

    No camera on the market lasts longer on battery than the G3/G5

    > What would be the most significant differences (pro's and con's) between
    > the G3 and the 5050??

    On most of the adjustments from ISO to Aperture etc., you get much more range
    and options with the G3.

    > Also, any opinions about Canon and Olympus'
    > service would be appreciated.

    That I don't know about. I have never brought anything I have ever owned in
    to be serviced. I have either been very lucky or buy better quality things
    and take better care of them than other people do. I do fix other people's
    vcrs and stuff because my cheap friends always buy crap, but my vcrs and
    stuff never need fixing.
    Jon Wordsworth, Aug 8, 2003

  3. Glo

    Glo Guest

    Jon Wordsworth wrote:

    >>I'm inclined toward the Canon G5, G3 or Olympus 5050Z.

    > I researched them all and am getting the G3 this weekend.
    >

    >>At first I thought it was between the G5 and the 5050, but then I've
    >>heard that the G3 is almost the same as the G5. My actual camera is an
    >>Olympus 1.3 mega pixel and I wanted to get the most I could for my
    >>budget, but I'm hearing that there is not much of a difference between
    >>the two Canon's.

    > Other than one is black and one is silver, not much difference in quality.
    > All the specs other than 4 to 5 megapixels are the same on everything.
    >

    >>The Olympus is cheaper than the Canon, but then it has 3X zoom while the
    >>G5 has 4X. Is this a big difference?

    > Not so much as the quality of the image from Canon over the Olympus.
    > Plus you can just crop the photo afterwards and zoom in that way.
    >

    >>I never liked the instructions manual for my Olympus and I've heard that
    >>the Canon has a very good one. I went to both their websites, however,
    >>and I found the Olympus site more informative than the Canon site.

    > Don't punish the camera designers because the website designers are morons,
    > but have you seen this?
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong3/
    >

    >>Then some people say that they prefer being able to use AA batteries,
    >>but most are raving about the long life of the Lithion-Ion.

    > No camera on the market lasts longer on battery than the G3/G5
    >

    >>What would be the most significant differences (pro's and con's) between
    >>the G3 and the 5050??

    > On most of the adjustments from ISO to Aperture etc., you get much more range
    > and options with the G3.
    >

    >> Also, any opinions about Canon and Olympus'
    >>service would be appreciated.

    > That I don't know about. I have never brought anything I have ever owned in
    > to be serviced. I have either been very lucky or buy better quality things
    > and take better care of them than other people do. I do fix other people's
    > vcrs and stuff because my cheap friends always buy crap, but my vcrs and
    > stuff never need fixing.

    Thank you so much for your input. Yes, I had read that preview and
    that's why I was thinking it is not worth the $$ buying the G5. I can
    get an extra card with the difference.
    --
    ~ Gloria ~
    Glo, Aug 8, 2003
  4. Glo

    James J. Guest

    Why not the new Olympus C-750? Has a 10X OPTICAL zoom which gives you an
    equivalent of 38mm to 380mm zoom lens! Uses 4xAA batteries and image
    quality has been a treat so far. Hotshoe for external flash, metal body,
    4-megapixel CCD, wireless remote, complete auto and manual controls, and
    high-end Olympus eD glass for optics. You may want to have a look at this
    puppy before you make a final decision.

    Oly 5050 is also a great camera with an ultrafast 1.8 lens which is
    excellent for low-light stuff and it has a great 'feel' in your hands. If I
    could have got the 5050 with a 10X optical zoom it would have been a much
    tougher choice but in the end I chose the C-750 for the 10X vs. the 3X zoom.
    I like to have a camera with me that is ready for almost any type of shot
    and the C-750 has not let me down yet. Only downside is the C-750 uses xD
    memory only but that hasn't been an issue for me as I don't swap cards and
    they are relatively cheap.

    On the Canon side, The G3 is generally regarded as an excellent and well
    rounded camera but the reviews on the G5 have not been 'quite' as
    complimentary as the original G3 reviews.

    You should also check out the pro reviews and forums on www.dpreview.com,
    www.steves-digicams.com and www.dcresource.com. I personally find the user
    forums on dpreview to be very active and useful.

    In the end, figure out what YOU need for YOUR requirements and then use the
    reviews, etc. to make an informed purchase based on what you have to have.
    What are your 'deal breakers/makers' in a new unit?

    And of course, check out the Oly C-750! No regrets for me on this purchase
    and that 10X optical zoom comes in very handy! Be forewarned though, these
    things are selling fast and a lot of places have had trouble keeping them in
    stock. Good Luck with whatever you choose!

    P.S. Not familiar with your current Olympus unit but if the menus haven't
    changed much then a new Oly may help reduce the learning curve of a new unit
    if that matters.

    James :cool:

    James J., Aug 8, 2003
  5. Glo

    Midia Guest

    Hi.
    get the oly c5050zoom. no regrets.

    Midia
    http://users.stargate.net/~midia
    floral portraits in natural sunlight

    Midia, Aug 9, 2003
  6. Glo

    CTX Guest

    Well, I can't make the choice for you, but I have been photographing with a
    Fuji Finepix S602 Zoom for over one year now and NOW I know a little bit
    what I would want to have as a next camera.....:
    - as much as zoom (no digital zoom!!!) as you can...................this
    will never be enough.............so even better would be to be able to mount
    a real zoomlense to reach a zoom of 500 mm or so...
    - a great macro opportunity (so far the macro possibilities of the S602 are
    superb and the best I have seen so far)
    - a lense less than 35 mm, so best would be something around 28 mm
    (broadview)
    - possibilities to change aperture, time and so on and lots of possibilities
    to change for strange conditions (bad weather, high sunlights etc.)
    - with a 3 megapixel camera you can reach great photographs; more is only
    necessary if you want to be a professional photographer; keep in mind that
    the more pixels the bigger the sizes of the images and the more storing
    space you need (this is something lots of people forget and remember again
    when they made the first pic with a 10 megapixel camera which they really
    don't need but only need to boast upon, see what I mean? Buy what you need,
    not what others would envy you for.....;-))

    Maybe this information is a bit of help to you?

    Best regards
    Cees

    "Glo" <> schreef in bericht news:3f3328d3@sl-news....

    CTX, Aug 9, 2003
  7. Glo

    JK Guest

    "James J." wrote:

    > Why not the new Olympus C-750? Has a 10X OPTICAL zoom which gives you an
    > equivalent of 38mm to 380mm zoom lens!

    The lens is slow though at f2.8 to f3.7. The Sony f717 has a lens
    that is 38 to 190 mm equivalent, and f2 to f2.4. Why can't Olympus
    use a lens like that for one of its digital cameras? A zoom ratio
    of 10 on the 750 also probably impacts image quality quite a bit.
    If Olympus could come out with a new digital camera with a lens
    that is at f2.4 or faster on the telephoto end and has much more
    than a 3x zoom ratio, I would be impressed.

    > Uses 4xAA batteries and image
    > quality has been a treat so far. Hotshoe for external flash, metal body,
    > 4-megapixel CCD, wireless remote, complete auto and manual controls, and
    > high-end Olympus eD glass for optics. You may want to have a look at this
    > puppy before you make a final decision.
    >
    > Oly 5050 is also a great camera with an ultrafast 1.8 lens which is
    > excellent for low-light stuff and it has a great 'feel' in your hands. If I
    > could have got the 5050 with a 10X optical zoom it would have been a much
    > tougher choice but in the end I chose the C-750 for the 10X vs. the 3X zoom.
    > I like to have a camera with me that is ready for almost any type of shot
    > and the C-750 has not let me down yet.

    It is not so good in low light situations. What do you do when you need to
    shoot at f2 and 400 ISO to get the shot you want?

    JK, Aug 9, 2003
  8. Glo

    SND Guest

    JK <> wrote in news::

    > "James J." wrote:
    >
    >> Why not the new Olympus C-750? Has a 10X OPTICAL zoom which gives
    >> you an equivalent of 38mm to 380mm zoom lens!

    > The lens is slow though at f2.8 to f3.7. The Sony f717 has a lens
    > that is 38 to 190 mm equivalent, and f2 to f2.4. Why can't Olympus
    > use a lens like that for one of its digital cameras? A zoom ratio

    Everything is a tradeoff. The Sony has a fast lens and long zoom range but
    giving it those features is the reason why it looks like some sort of
    rocket launcher. The Olympus is compact and the downside is a slower lens.

    --
    SND
    SND, Aug 10, 2003