    limitations and I want to move on. Any suggestions between the two.

    Thanks
    Lori

    kayla, Mar 5, 2008

  2. kayla

    Mr. G D Geen Guest

    kayla wrote:
    > I'm having a hard time deciding between the Canon XTi or the
    > Nikon 40Dx after doing a lot of research. I've been using the
    > Canon Pro1 for 3 years and I really like it but it has it's
    > limitations and I want to move on. Any suggestions between the two.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Lori

    I would have to say you cannot go wrong with either one. A few years
    ago I asked the same question as many other here did. I chose Nikon and
    my buddy chose Canon. Dang! I wish we had chosen the same equipment so
    we could share lenses. :)

    I suggest going down to your nearest brick and mortar store and looking
    at each. Check out the menus, how it feels in you hand, etc. It
    depends on your store. CCity, BBuy, and the like will have idiots at
    the counter. They may be able to read the feature list from the card or
    screen but they will know nothing more than that about either camera.
    My Wolf Camera at least has someone who is interested in photography
    working behind the counter but that is not always the case. It really
    depends on the manager. -G

    Mr. G D Geen, Mar 5, 2008

  3. kayla

    Pete D Guest

    "kayla" <afwt_hotmail.com@> wrote in message
    > I'm having a hard time deciding between the Canon XTi or the
    > Nikon 40Dx after doing a lot of research. I've been using the
    > Canon Pro1 for 3 years and I really like it but it has it's
    > limitations and I want to move on. Any suggestions between the two.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Lori

    Both would be good but you have to use it so go into a shop and handle them
    both, use the menus, also have a look at the lenses that you are likely to
    buy. Ultimaely in a few years you will want a new camera but you will keep
    the lenses so there get the one that you give most ticks to the entire
    system. Personally I would suggest going up just a little and get the D80.

    Cheers.

    Pete

    Pete D, Mar 5, 2008
  4. kayla

    armpit Guest

    > I'm having a hard time deciding between the Canon XTi or the
    > Nikon 40Dx after doing a lot of research. I've been using the
    > Canon Pro1 for 3 years and I really like it but it has it's
    > limitations and I want to move on. Any suggestions between the two.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Lori

    I was weighing that same decision a few weeks ago, as I was looking to buy
    my first DSLR. I actually wound up getting a Nikon D80, since I had heard
    that Nikon lenses were a little better, and that Canon lenses are a bit more
    expensive. (I don't wish to debate those statements, I just read it from
    some reputable sources, and a newbie's gotta learn somewhere.)

    One thing to keep in mind with the D40x is that your autofocus lens choices
    are limited to only lenses that have built-in AF motors. This severely
    limits your lens choices. That is one of the main reasons why I chose the
    D80 over the D40x. The other reason is that I got a killer deal on a D80 kit
    with an 18-55 lens and a 70-300mm VR lens from Adorama.com

    I would suggest going to a camera store and holding each camera and see how
    they feel to you. I much preferred the Nikon over the Canon for my hands,
    but many prefer the opposite.

    Either in a fine choice, but find out what the limitations and shortcomings
    are for each model and choose the one that has the features that meet your
    needs.

    armpit, Mar 5, 2008
  5. kayla

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Pete D added these comments in the current discussion du jour

    >> I'm having a hard time deciding between the Canon XTi or the
    >> Nikon 40Dx after doing a lot of research. I've been using
    >> the Canon Pro1 for 3 years and I really like it but it has
    >> it's limitations and I want to move on. Any suggestions
    >> between the two.

    > Both would be good but you have to use it so go into a shop
    > and handle them both, use the menus, also have a look at the
    > lenses that you are likely to buy. Ultimaely in a few years
    > you will want a new camera but you will keep the lenses so
    > there get the one that you give most ticks to the entire
    > system. Personally I would suggest going up just a little and
    > get the D80.

    I followed exactly your advice a couple years back when trying to
    decide on a Canon Rebel XT or a Nikon D70s. These days, I believe
    you're right, it is the D80 that is the direct competitor to the
    XTi.

    --
    HP, aka Jerry

    "Surely you jest - and don't call me Shirley!" - from the movie
    "Airplane!"

    HEMI-Powered, Mar 5, 2008
  6. kayla

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    > I'm having a hard time deciding between the Canon XTi or the
    > Nikon 40Dx after doing a lot of research. I've been using the
    > Canon Pro1 for 3 years and I really like it but it has it's
    > limitations and I want to move on. Any suggestions between the two.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Lori

    That's a tough choice.

    In my case, it was made somewhat easier because I already had a number of
    Canon flashes, lenses, cables, filters, etc which work on the Rebel as well
    as my older film cameras. Once committed, experimentation becomes
    expensive.

    However, if reverse compatibility had not been an issue, my next criteria
    would have been cost. Barring any unusual sales or price competition, I
    believe the Rebel is a bit cheaper, so I probably would have still ended up
    with the Canon.

    In general, it has been my experience that you will get more features at a
    slightly lower cost from Canon, but I'm sure there are some hard-core
    Nikonians out there who will dispute that claim.

    The bottom line? Both Canon and Nikon will give you good performance and
    quality. Go to a camera store. Check out your options. Take some test
    shots. Ask the sales rep whatever questions pop into your mind.

    My main piece of advice would be: Don't buy on line, even if you can get it
    cheaper. You can't physically compare on-line items, so you have to rule
    out personal comfort as a criteria.

    Instead, support your local camera merchants because they are the ones you
    can go to in a pinch.

    Good Luck,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Mar 5, 2008
  7. kayla

    XxYyZz Guest

    > I'm having a hard time deciding between the Canon XTi or the
    > Nikon 40Dx after doing a lot of research. I've been using the
    > Canon Pro1 for 3 years and I really like it but it has it's
    > limitations and I want to move on. Any suggestions between the two.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Lori

    I would suggest you go to a camera store and handle them both before you
    buy. Try to use as many af the cameras features and menus that you can and see
    which camera you like better. If need be you can go to each manufacturers
    website and download the manuals so you will be somewhat familiar with the
    controls.

    Another concern would be lenses. Your lenses will be an important part of
    your system wether you go Cannon or Nikon. Take a look at the lenses you will
    want before you buy. If you buy good lenses you will always have them even if
    you upgrade your camera.

    Both Canon and Nikon are tops brands and I'm sure you will be happy with
    either one.

    XxYyZz, Mar 5, 2008
  8. kayla

    Bill Guest

    On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 16:54:00 -0500, kayla <afwt_hotmail.com@> wrote:

    >I'm having a hard time deciding between the Canon XTi or the
    >Nikon 40Dx after doing a lot of research. I've been using the
    >Canon Pro1 for 3 years and I really like it but it has it's
    >limitations and I want to move on. Any suggestions between the two.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Lori

    You might want to check out the new Canon Xsi. Canon and Nikon bounce
    back and forth with the best cameras in their respective brackets and
    the specs for the newest entry level Canon dslr look pretty sweet.

    Bill

    Bill, Mar 6, 2008
  9. kayla

    kayla Guest

    Wow!! Thanks everybody! You have all given great advice and I do
    plan on going to a camera shop because when I got my Pro1 I got
    excellent service during the sale and afterwards as well when I needed
    help with anything. What got me thinking about Nikon is the shorter
    zoom lense compared to the longer one from Canon because less weight
    is important to me and I would like to pretty well keep the same lens
    on. The cost of the two that I picked are also within my budget.

    If it ever stops snowing or freezing rain every other day I will go
    and start shopping. That's been the biggest hold up.

    Lori

    kayla, Mar 6, 2008
  10. kayla

    measekite Guest

    Do not buy either.&nbsp; Canon just announced and will ship in April a successor the the XTi called the Canon 450D or the Digital Rebel XSi.&nbsp; It should be a 12MP with many advanced features.

    The only thing missing (unfortunately) is the swivel LCD like on the S5 IS.&nbsp; No DSLR currently has that and I would think it would be great.&nbsp; But the new Canon offering look much better than the Nikon 40Dx.&nbsp; It may even be better than the Nikon D80.&nbsp; You can read the announcements on dpreview website.

    I'm having a hard time deciding between the Canon XTi or the Nikon 40Dx after doing a lot of research. I've been using the Canon Pro1 for 3 years and I really like it but it has it's limitations and I want to move on. Any suggestions between the two. Thanks Lori

    measekite, Mar 6, 2008
  11. kayla

    measekite Guest

    armpit wrote:

    "kayla" &lt;afwt_hotmail.com@&gt; wrote in message news:...

[...]

    I think the reason deals are coming is that the D90 is due to be announced this year.

    measekite, Mar 6, 2008
  12. kayla

    measekite Guest

    HEMI-Powered wrote:

[...]

    I think the D80 is between the DRXTi and the 40D.

    measekite, Mar 6, 2008
  13. kayla

    G Guest

    Just before Christmas I decided to go from P&S Digital to a DSLR.
    I generally buy photographic equipment around Christmas time/New Years
    because the prices are a lot more competitive.
    I had been a Canon Fan for about 35 years. Started out with Canon SLR, moved
    to Nikon SLR and then moved back to Canon SLR -then to Canon P&S Digital.

    After looking at the 4 DSLR makers I went with a Nikon D40. Because camera
    is easy to use, and the lens for the D40, D40X, D60 are very reasonable in
    price. Canon are expensive. I am very disappointed with Canon because I feel
    the quality has slipped.
    The D40 is a joy to use, fits your hand well and gives great pictures and
    top reviews and have the Nikon 2 year Camera warranty with the Nikon 5 year
    warranty on lens.. Canon is only 1 year on everything. The Nikon D60 is a
    nice camera but it is about $200 more than the D40 and not worth the
    expense. The best thing is to also check the web there are lots of reviews
    of DSLR's and make up your own mind. My opinion for what's its worth.

    G, Mar 6, 2008
  14. kayla

    John Sheehy Guest

    measekite <> wrote in

    Can we keep this wordprocessor stuff off of usenet? Your posts are
    impossible to read in a true usenet-style newsreader.

    Usenet is a pure-text medium, with a unit of lines;, not paragraphs.

    Are you using outlook express? The Usenet functionality of OO was written
    by people who probably didn't even know what usenet was, before being
    assigned to the project. OO came out, guns-ablazing, screwing up usenet,
    trying to turn it into a word processor.

    People are just going to skip over your posts and not read them in the
    format you're presenting them in.

    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>

    John Sheehy, Mar 6, 2008
  15. kayla

    Pete D Guest

    "John Sheehy" <> wrote in message
    > measekite <> wrote in
    >
    >> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

    > Can we keep this wordprocessor stuff off of usenet? Your posts are
    > impossible to read in a true usenet-style newsreader.
    >
    > Usenet is a pure-text medium, with a unit of lines;, not paragraphs.
    >
    > Are you using outlook express? The Usenet functionality of OO was written
    > by people who probably didn't even know what usenet was, before being
    > assigned to the project. OO came out, guns-ablazing, screwing up usenet,
    > trying to turn it into a word processor.
    >
    > People are just going to skip over your posts and not read them in the
    > format you're presenting them in.

    No we aren't but we will clip your silly sigs.

    Pete D, Mar 6, 2008
  16. kayla

    Troy Piggins Guest

    * Pete D wrote:

    > "John Sheehy" <> wrote in message
    >> measekite <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

    >> Can we keep this wordprocessor stuff off of usenet? Your posts are
    >> impossible to read in a true usenet-style newsreader.
    >>
    >> Usenet is a pure-text medium, with a unit of lines;, not paragraphs.
    >>
    >> Are you using outlook express? The Usenet functionality of OO was written
    >> by people who probably didn't even know what usenet was, before being
    >> assigned to the project. OO came out, guns-ablazing, screwing up usenet,
    >> trying to turn it into a word processor.
    >>
    >> People are just going to skip over your posts and not read them in the
    >> format you're presenting them in.

    > No we aren't but we will clip your silly sigs.

    Nothing wrong with John's sigs - they comply fully with the usual
    netiquette guidelines. HTML posts do not. </netkop> :)

    --
    Troy Piggins

    Troy Piggins, Mar 6, 2008
  17. John Sheehy wrote:
    []
    > Are you using outlook express? The Usenet functionality of OO was
    > written by people who probably didn't even know what usenet was,
    > before being assigned to the project. OO came out, guns-ablazing,
    > screwing up usenet, trying to turn it into a word processor.

    John,

    Outlook Express, while it's not everyone's choice, has no problems sending
    plain text postings to Usenet when correctly configured. Evidence this
    post.

    To the OP - I went down to my local shop and handled both Canon and Nikon,
    and ended up buying the Nikon. Not been disappointed yet.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 6, 2008
  18. kayla wrote:
    > Wow!! Thanks everybody! You have all given great advice and I do
    > plan on going to a camera shop because when I got my Pro1 I got
    > excellent service during the sale and afterwards as well when I needed
    > help with anything. What got me thinking about Nikon is the shorter
    > zoom lense compared to the longer one from Canon because less weight
    > is important to me and I would like to pretty well keep the same lens
    > on. The cost of the two that I picked are also within my budget.
    >
    > If it ever stops snowing or freezing rain every other day I will go
    > and start shopping. That's been the biggest hold up.
    >
    > Lori

    Lori,

    Cheapest, with a single good-quality carry-around lens:

    Nikon D40 with 18-200mm VR zoom

    alternative, with lens changes required:

    Nikon D40 with 18-55mm kit lens, plus 55-200mm VR extra lens
    Very lightweight and compact.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 6, 2008
  19. kayla

    Pete D Guest

    "Troy Piggins" <> wrote in message
    >* Pete D wrote:
    >>
    >> "John Sheehy" <> wrote in message
    >>> measekite <> wrote in

    >>> Can we keep this wordprocessor stuff off of usenet? Your posts are
    >>> impossible to read in a true usenet-style newsreader.
    >>>
    >>> Usenet is a pure-text medium, with a unit of lines;, not paragraphs.
    >>>
    >>> Are you using outlook express? The Usenet functionality of OO was
    >>> written
    >>> by people who probably didn't even know what usenet was, before being
    >>> assigned to the project. OO came out, guns-ablazing, screwing up
    >>> usenet,
    >>> trying to turn it into a word processor.
    >>>
    >>> People are just going to skip over your posts and not read them in the
    >>> format you're presenting them in.

    >> No we aren't but we will clip your silly sigs.

    > Nothing wrong with John's sigs - they comply fully with the usual
    > netiquette guidelines. HTML posts do not. </netkop> :)
    >
    > --
    > Troy Piggins

    You misunderstand, I said silly not anything else, John has extra lines, not
    that much different from the overhead that html introduces yet Johns is
    okay?

    Pete D, Mar 6, 2008
  20. kayla

    Troy Piggins Guest

    * Pete D wrote:

    > "Troy Piggins" <> wrote in message
    > [---=| Quote block shrinked by t-prot: 21 lines snipped |=---]
    >>>
    >>> No we aren't but we will clip your silly sigs.

    >> Nothing wrong with John's sigs - they comply fully with the usual
    >> netiquette guidelines. HTML posts do not. </netkop> :)

    > You misunderstand, I said silly not anything else, John has extra lines, not
    > that much different from the overhead that html introduces yet Johns is
    > okay?

    Yes. :)

    --
    Troy Piggins