Can't copy files to mounted partition on XP 64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Tomislav Tustonic, Sep 28, 2005.

  1. Hello

    I have a 50GB partition dedicated for Program Files (x86). On my
    C: disk is an empty folder 'Program Files (x86)'. Using disk manager
    I mount this partition to this folder, and everything seems to work
    OK.
    However, when I try to copy SOME files I get this error:
    Cannot copy <filename>: Cannot find the specified file.
    Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.
    For example, I'm unable to install Visual Studio, copying some plain
    text files fails, while .dlls from the same original and same
    destination directory copy OK, etc.
    If I access the 'Program Files' partition through the drive letter,
    everything works fine. Also, everything is fine if I unmount the
    partition and copy to the directory.
    It seems to be related to the files from CDs, but sometimes the files
    from the HD also show this problem.
    This is not random behavior, it's always the same files that don't copy.
    Also, the same happens with other partitions and other mount points.
    It happens even if I copy the file from the CD to the HD, and then
    try to copy the same file to the dir with the mounted partition. THe
    same happens with the 'Copy of <filename>'.

    Please help
    Thanks,
    Tom
    Tomislav Tustonic, Sep 28, 2005

  2. Hello Tomislav,
    What are the exact filenames that have problems?
    What is the exact path from the source to the destination?
    For example copy from c:\program files\appdir\filename.txt to d:\program
    files(x86)\appname\filename.txt.
    How are you copying the files? From within Windows Explorer or at a cmd
    prompt?
    what are the permissions and attributes on the files that are not copying?
    Can you copy the files to other locations or is that the only location that
    is failing?

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:07:46 +0200
    <From: Tomislav Tustonic <>
    <Subject: Can't copy files to mounted partition on XP 64
    <Newsgroups:
    microsoft.public.windows.file_system,microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Hello
    <
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Sep 28, 2005

  3. Darrell Gorter[MSFT] wrote:

    > Hello Tomislav,
    > What are the exact filenames that have problems?

    for example readme.txt, but also others.
    Also, files from the VisualStudio.net 2003 installation
    (don't know the name)
    Visual Studio is installed from the local hard disk
    (copy of the MSDN installation DVD)

    > What is the exact path from the source to the destination?

    For example
    Z:\pdfr\readme.txt -> C:\Progam Files (x86)\PdfReader\readme.txt
    But also
    from Z:\pdfr\readme.txt -> C:\test\readme.txt
    Where C:\test is directory to which a different partition (not
    the one which is mounted on PF) is mounted.
    Z: is CD-ROM
    However,
    Z:\pdfr\readme.txt -> F:\PdfReader\readme.txt
    works. F: is the partition which is mounted in C:\Program Files (x86)
    Also:
    Z:\pdfr\<something>.dll ->
    C:\Progam Files (x86)\PdfReader\<something>.dll
    works, and <something>.exe works too.

    > How are you copying the files? From within Windows Explorer or at a cmd

    Ctrl-C Ctrl-V, drag-drop, and Dos prompt

    > what are the permissions and attributes on the files that are not copying?

    I'm trying this as an Administrator, and the files are opened to
    everyone (they are read-only since they are on CD, but that's all)

    > Can you copy the files to other locations or is that the only location that
    > is failing?

    I can copy them to any directory without the problem, except for the
    directories with mounted partitions. However, something like:
    Z:\pdfr\readme.txt -> d:\myfiles\readme.txt ->
    C:\PF(x86)\PdfReader\readme.txt
    fails. This fails too:
    Z:\pdfr\readme.txt -> d:\myfiles\readme.txt ->
    d:\myfiles\Copy of readme.txt ->
    C:\PF(x86)\PdfReader\Copy of readme.txt

    This is fresh installation of XP 64 from the MSDN iso image. I had the
    previous XP 64 installation and also had the problem installing the
    VS and some others, although I didn't try copying the files to the
    folder directly.
    In the meantime I installed Windows 2003 64bit (also from the MSDN)
    on the same machine, and I didn't see any similar problem.

    Thanks, Tom
    Tomislav Tustonic, Sep 28, 2005
  4. I had\have a similar problem - almost the same setup.
    Copying files to a mounted partition will result in 'that' error. I eventually
    I tracked it down to Avast AV - if I disable Avast, no problems!!

    Andrew H.
    =?Utf-8?B?U3BpZG8=?=, Sep 28, 2005
  5. Spido wrote:

    > I had\have a similar problem - almost the same setup.
    > Copying files to a mounted partition will result in 'that' error. I eventually
    > I tracked it down to Avast AV - if I disable Avast, no problems!!

    This could be it... I'll try this as soon as I can.

    Thanks!!!
    Tom
    Tomislav Tustonic, Sep 28, 2005
  6. Spido wrote:
    > I had\have a similar problem - almost the same setup.
    > Copying files to a mounted partition will result in 'that' error. I eventually
    > I tracked it down to Avast AV - if I disable Avast, no problems!!

    Yes, that's it!

    Thanks again,
    Tom
    Tomislav Tustonic, Sep 29, 2005