    Formatted the USB drive as NTFS.

    Still says cant copy file. Any ideas?
    , Sep 24, 2009

  2. Mike Easter Guest

    Posted to 24hshd only

    wrote:

    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,
    24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: Cant copy 9Gb file to USB hard drive (450Gb).

    <crossposting GGer who starts the message question in the subject
    instead of creating an unambiguous complete sentences message body first
    and then giving the proper message a brief subject title>

    > Formatted the USB drive as NTFS.
    >
    > Still says cant copy file. Any ideas?

    You could use an archiver to chop the 9G file into much smaller pieces,
    copy them, and then put it/them back together on the other side.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 24, 2009

  3. Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > wrote:

    > Subject: Cant copy 9Gb file to USB hard drive (450Gb).

    >> Formatted the USB drive as NTFS.
    >>
    >> Still says cant copy file. Any ideas?

    You could enable 48 bit LBA http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=303013
    How to enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing support for ATAPI disk
    drives in Windows XP

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 24, 2009
  4. Peter Foldes Guest

    The only idea that jumps to me at present is this below

    http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm

    --
    Peter

    Peter Foldes, Sep 24, 2009
  5. Tony Guest

    Long file name? Zip or raring the file will allow it to be copied.

    "" wrote:

    > Formatted the USB drive as NTFS.
    >
    > Still says cant copy file. Any ideas?

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    proper manners

    beyond the realm of understandability

    Tony, Sep 24, 2009
  6. On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 02:28:11 -0700 (PDT), ""
    <> wrote:

    > Formatted the USB drive as NTFS.
    >
    > Still says cant copy file. Any ideas?

    Please help us to help you. What does "says" mean? If you get an error
    message, please quote it verbatim.

    For information on how to make a good newsgroup posting, read
    http://www.dts-l.com/goodpost.htm and

    Please Reply to the Newsgroup
    Ken Blake, MVP, Sep 24, 2009
  7. Mike Easter Guest

    Ken Blake, MVP wrote:

    > For information on how to make a good newsgroup posting, read
    > http://www.dts-l.com/goodpost.htm and

    dts-l link update

    http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm Making Good Newsgroup
    Posts -- "Desktop Systems" is a collaboration of more than 40 current
    and former Microsoft MVPs. The group works together daily on all kinds
    of computer problems using a list server.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 24, 2009
  8. On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 09:54:34 -0700, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

    > Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
    >
    > > For information on how to make a good newsgroup posting, read
    > > http://www.dts-l.com/goodpost.htm and

    > dts-l link update
    >
    > http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm Making Good Newsgroup
    > Posts -- "Desktop Systems" is a collaboration of more than 40 current
    > and former Microsoft MVPs. The group works together daily on all kinds
    > of computer problems using a list server.

    Thanks for the update. I've corrected my saved standard message.

    Please Reply to the Newsgroup
    Ken Blake, MVP, Sep 24, 2009
  9. db Guest

    9 gb file??

    pretty big file.

    perhaps, you might try zipping
    it first,

    then if it transfers over to the
    external drive,

    unzipp it.

    --
    db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
    DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    db, Sep 24, 2009
  10. Hodges Guest

    On Sep 24, 5:28 am, ""
    <> wrote:
    > Formatted the USB drive as NTFS.
    >
    > Still says cant copy file. Any ideas?

    Try using WinRAR to split it into 1GB files and create a self-
    extracting RAR. Kind of odd that NTFS would have a problem though.
    Hodges, Sep 25, 2009
  11. Tony Guest

    I just remembered you can only zip files up to 2 gigabytes. Can use winrar
    to rar the file.

    db wrote:

    > 9 gb file??
    >
    > pretty big file.
    >
    > perhaps, you might try zipping
    > it first,
    >
    > then if it transfers over to the
    > external drive,
    >
    > unzipp it.
    >
    > --
    > db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
    > DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
    > - Systems Analyst
    > - Database Developer
    > - Accountancy
    > - Veteran of the Armed Forces
    > - @Hotmail.com
    > - nntp Postologist
    > ~ "share the nirvana" - dbZen
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > >

    > "" <> wrote in message
    > > Formatted the USB drive as NTFS.
    > >
    > > Still says cant copy file. Any ideas?

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    the realm of understandability

    Tony, Sep 25, 2009
  12. Hodges Guest

    On Sep 24, 9:06 pm, Tony <> wrote:
    > I just remembered you can only zip files up to 2 gigabytes. Can use winrar
    > to rar the file.
    >

    > db wrote:
    > > 9 gb file??

    > > pretty big file.

    > > perhaps, you might try zipping
    > > it first,

    > > then if it transfers over to the
    > > external drive,

    > > unzipp it.

    > > --
    > > db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
    > > DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
    > >  - Systems Analyst
    > >  - Database Developer
    > >  - Accountancy
    > >  - Veteran of the Armed Forces
    > > -  @Hotmail.com
    > > -  nntp Postologist
    > > ~ "share the nirvana" - dbZen

    > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    > > "" <> wrote in message
    > > > Formatted the USB drive as NTFS.

    > > > Still says cant copy file. Any ideas?

    > --
    > The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG
    >
    > Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city
    >
    > Nay, Art thou decideth playeth ye simpleton games. *Some* of us know proper
    > manners
    >
    > Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs,
    >
    > Hamster isn't a newsreader it's a mistake!
    >
    > El-Gonzo Jackson FROGS both me and Chuckcar
    >
    > Master Juba was a black man imitating a white man imitating a black man
    >
    > Using my technical prowess and computer abilities to answer questions beyond
    > the realm of understandability
    >
    > Regards Tony... Making usenet better for everyone everyday

    Who told you that lie? The original zip format couldn't handle files
    larger than 4GB but that was addressed in version 4.5 of the ZIP
    format which is currently at version 6.3.2

    What's the point of zipping it anyway? You aren't going to compress a
    9GB file by very much, and definitely not below 4GB which is a limit
    of FAT32. He's better off splitting the file with WinRAR or 7z.
    Hodges, Sep 25, 2009
  13. Jose Guest

    On Sep 24, 5:28 am, ""
    <> wrote:
    > Formatted the USB drive as NTFS.
    >
    > Still says cant copy file. Any ideas?

    Is that what it says - cant copy file
    Jose, Sep 25, 2009
  14. RickMerrill Guest

    wrote:
    > Formatted the USB drive as NTFS.
    >
    > Still says cant copy file. Any ideas?

    To my shock, I've found that some USB
    drives are usable only as FAT32 format!
    RickMerrill, Sep 25, 2009
  15. Mike Easter Guest

    ~BD~ wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
    >>
    >>> For information on how to make a good newsgroup posting, read
    >>> http://www.dts-l.com/goodpost.htm and

    >> dts-l link update
    >>
    >> http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm Making Good Newsgroup
    >> Posts -- "Desktop Systems" is a collaboration of more than 40

    current
    >> and former Microsoft MVPs. The group works together daily on all

    kinds
    >> of computer problems using a list server.
    >>

    > Mike - you are a detail person, so some advice please.

    Someone in the group of MVPs probably knows the answer to this
    unimportant puzzling. At the outset it appears to me that the dts-l
    group desired to change from one webhost to another perhaps due to the
    cost of traffic.

    > The pages at the links you posted are, indeed, different.

    The link Ken posted redirects in the general direction of the link I
    recommended. It is logical that prior to the redirection, the link Ken
    posted was where the page/s were. That is, Ken's link redirects
    (imprecisely) to the default/front page of the Desktop Systems pages
    http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/default.htm ; whereas the page which he
    wanted to reference is actually linked *from* that page (left column,
    item 'Posting Tips') http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm

    > Each, however, has this item at the bottom of the page:
    >
    > © Copyright MVP-DTS (DTS-L) 1999 - 2000. All rights reserved.
    >
    > I find it difficult to understand why the copyright has not been

    updated
    > to 2009 - all similar items I've looked at are always kept current.

    I don't comprehend your point. The Last Modified on that page sez:

    Last-Modified: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 05:39:25 GMT

    > I'm also wondering why Alex Nichol is listed as a member if that page
    > *is* current. Why? See http://aumha.org/a/alexpix.htm

    I don't see where the "40 current and former Microsoft MVPs" of the
    Desktop Systems group are listed on/ in any of/ the dts-l pages referred
    above. There is a link on the front page to the generic Microsoft MVPs
    at http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/

    I don't know why you are getting into the aumha business on this thread.

    > Any ideas? TIA

    No I don't understand your point or quest.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 25, 2009
  16. RickMerrill wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Formatted the USB drive as NTFS.
    >>
    >> Still says cant copy file. Any ideas?

    > To my shock, I've found that some USB
    > drives are usable only as FAT32 format!

    +1 Never had a problem when they are formatted as FAT32, plus any
    operating system can read it.

    You'll have to download something to format it as FAT32 because XP won't
    format a drive that big as FAT32, here is the google solution,
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/large-external-usb-hard-drive-fat32-format-utility/

    It's been a pleasure to help, as always.
    Caulfield Man, Sep 25, 2009
  17. Tony Guest

    I read it on the internet and on usenet and have tried to zip files larger than 2
    gigabytes to confirm. Yes confirmed you can't zip a file larger than 2 gigabytes.

    Tony, Sep 25, 2009
  18. Tony <> wrote in

    > I read it on the internet and on usenet and have tried to zip
    > files larger than 2 gigabytes to confirm. Yes confirmed you can't
    > zip a file larger than 2 gigabytes.

    Well, using WinZip 12.0, I just now had no problems zipping-up a 3+
    Gigabyte file. It didn't compress very well but it did result in a
    valid 3 Gigabyte .zip file. So I guess that it is now un-confirmed.

    -- John
    John Wunderlich, Sep 26, 2009
  19. Hodges Guest

    On Sep 25, 6:58 pm, Tony <> wrote:
    > I read it on the internet and on usenet and have tried to zip files larger than 2
    > gigabytes to confirm. Yes confirmed you can't zip a file larger than 2 gigabytes.
    >

    > Hodges wrote:
    > > On Sep 24, 9:06 pm, Tony <> wrote:
    > > > I just remembered you can only zip files up to 2 gigabytes. Can use winrar
    > > > to rar the file.

    > > > --
    > > > The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    > > > Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    > > > Nay, Art thou decideth playeth ye simpleton games. *Some* of us know proper
    > > > manners

    > > > Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs,

    > > > Hamster isn't a newsreader it's a mistake!

    > > > El-Gonzo Jackson FROGS both me and Chuckcar

    > > > Master Juba was a black man imitating a white man imitating a black man

    > > > Using my technical prowess and computer abilities to answer questions beyond
    > > > the realm of understandability

    > > > Regards Tony... Making usenet better for everyone everyday

    > > Who told you that lie?  The original zip format couldn't handle files
    > > larger than 4GB but that was addressed in version 4.5 of the ZIP
    > > format which is currently at version 6.3.2

    > > What's the point of zipping it anyway?  You aren't going to compress a
    > > 9GB file by very much, and definitely not below 4GB which is a limit
    > > of FAT32.  He's better off splitting the file with WinRAR or 7z.

    > --
    > The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG
    >
    > Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city
    >
    > Nay, Art thou decideth playeth ye simpleton games. *Some* of us know proper
    > manners
    >
    > Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs,
    >
    > Hamster isn't a newsreader it's a mistake!
    >
    > El-Gonzo Jackson FROGS both me and Chuckcar
    >
    > Master Juba was a black man imitating a white man imitating a black man
    >
    > Using my technical prowess and computer abilities to answer questions beyond the
    > realm of understandability
    >
    > Regards Tony... Making usenet better for everyone everyday

    No, you've just confirmed that YOU cannot zip a file bigger than 2GB.
    2GB was never a limitation of the ZIP standard, like I already said.

    http://imgur.com/BGPGx.png

    That file is over 4GB.

    For my next trick, I will debunk the myth by ignorant noobs that you
    can format the system drive in Windows XP from Windows XP using the
    command-line format command.
    Hodges, Sep 26, 2009
  20. db Guest

    have you ensured that your external
    drive has sufficient power?

    some external drives need additional
    power in order to fully function.

    -------------------

    there is perhaps another method
    you can utilize, but it is unprovened
    on my part.

    what you might try is the driveimagexml
    freeware

    it has the ability to make disk images in
    a couple of sizes, either one whole
    image or cd size images.

    since it is 9 gigs, it might work.

    but since it is a single 9 gig file, it may not.

    just a thought to consider.

    incidentally, can you explain what is this
    large file?

    perhaps, there is a special method required
    other than the usual ones

    db, Sep 26, 2009