    converter for the insanely awesome Mk IV and D4? Your guess is as good as
    mine.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Sep 22, 2007

  2. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Robert Brace Guest

    "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Well tickle my as with a willow stick! All this talk about DNG has
    > sparked
    > my curiosity so I decided I'd do a quick batch conversion to DNG. I get
    > "There was an error parsing this file" message! I'm using v3.4x89. Does
    > this mean I have to update my DNG converter to the latest version? Damn!
    > Talk about being held hostage by Adobe! I guess this means that I have to
    > download the newest version? I think if I must be held hostage by anyone
    > it
    > be Nikon and Canon since they have the proper source for the conversion.
    > Don't let Barry lie to you and get you to believe that there will be any
    > future compatibility with your equipment and DNG. Will Adobe write a
    > converter for the insanely awesome Mk IV and D4? Your guess is as good as
    > mine.

    Rita

    Rita:
    For Chrissakes download the FREE latest converter (v4.2) and convert the
    1DIII files to your heart's content. Yah, you're held hostage all right, to
    the tune of a FREE converter download!
    For one who purports to be an expert on about everything ever mentioned,
    I'm amazed you didn't know what will support that so-called
    "unable-to-focus-in-bright-light" technological wonder called the Canon
    1DIII.
    Bob

    Robert Brace, Sep 22, 2007

  3. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Scott W Guest

    Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
    > Well tickle my as with a willow stick! All this talk about DNG has sparked
    > my curiosity so I decided I'd do a quick batch conversion to DNG. I get
    > "There was an error parsing this file" message! I'm using v3.4x89. Does
    > this mean I have to update my DNG converter to the latest version? Damn!
    > Talk about being held hostage by Adobe! I guess this means that I have to
    > download the newest version? I think if I must be held hostage by
    > anyone it
    > be Nikon and Canon since they have the proper source for the conversion.
    > Don't let Barry lie to you and get you to believe that there will be any
    > future compatibility with your equipment and DNG. Will Adobe write a
    > converter for the insanely awesome Mk IV and D4? Your guess is as good as
    > mine.

    SO who cares? I mean how many people, other then Barry, are bothering
    with DNG? This seems like a non-issue to me.

    Scott

    Scott W, Sep 22, 2007
  4. Robert Brace wrote:

    >> Well tickle my as with a willow stick! All this talk about DNG has
    >> sparked
    >> my curiosity so I decided I'd do a quick batch conversion to DNG. I
    >> get "There was an error parsing this file" message! I'm using
    >> v3.4x89. Does this mean I have to update my DNG converter to the
    >> latest version? Damn! Talk about being held hostage by Adobe! I
    >> guess this means that I have to download the newest version? I
    >> think if I must be held hostage by anyone it
    >> be Nikon and Canon since they have the proper source for the
    >> conversion. Don't let Barry lie to you and get you to believe that
    >> there will be any future compatibility with your equipment and DNG. Will
    >> Adobe write a converter for the insanely awesome Mk IV and D4? Your guess
    >> is as good as mine.

    > Rita:
    > For Chrissakes download the FREE latest converter (v4.2) and
    > convert the 1DIII files to your heart's content. Yah, you're held
    > hostage all right, to the tune of a FREE converter download!

    Yes, I did that and it, well, works. That's not the point. The issue is
    what if Adobe decides they don't want to support a certain make or brand of
    camera? The point is if I want to put all my eggs in one basket it is more
    logical to put it in the basket where the goose that shits the golden egg
    puts its eggs, which would be the Nikon and Canon basket. So much for the
    DNG bullshit future proofing.

    > For one who purports to be an expert on about everything ever
    > mentioned, I'm amazed you didn't know what will support that so-called
    > "unable-to-focus-in-bright-light" technological wonder called the
    > Canon 1DIII.

    I haven't run across that problem. Even with "L" glass the old MK III
    focuses just fine. Should I be concerned?

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Sep 22, 2007
  5. Scott W wrote:

    >> Well tickle my as with a willow stick! All this talk about DNG has
    >> sparked my curiosity so I decided I'd do a quick batch conversion to
    >> DNG. I get "There was an error parsing this file" message! I'm
    >> using v3.4x89. Does this mean I have to update my DNG converter to
    >> the latest version? Damn! Talk about being held hostage by Adobe! I
    >> guess this means that I have to download the newest version? I
    >> think if I must be held hostage by anyone it
    >> be Nikon and Canon since they have the proper source for the
    >> conversion. Don't let Barry lie to you and get you to believe that
    >> there will be any future compatibility with your equipment and DNG. Will
    >> Adobe write a converter for the insanely awesome Mk IV and D4? Your guess
    >> is as good as mine.

    > SO who cares? I mean how many people, other then Barry, are bothering
    > with DNG? This seems like a non-issue to me.

    I don't care but I have to see all that fucking DNG SPAM! I agree that it's
    a non-issue, but I really hate to see some uninformed person buy into his
    bullshit and delete all their original RAW files. There are people out here
    that I thought would have the intelligence to save the original RAW files,
    but I see they are stupid enough to delete them. They will be kicking
    themselves in the ass 5 or 10 years from now.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Sep 22, 2007
  6. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Sep 22, 1:21 pm, Scott W <> wrote:

    > SO who cares? I mean how many people, other then Barry, are bothering
    > with DNG? This seems like a non-issue to me.

    Hey, isn't that what I've been saying?
    Expertly put.

    Annika1980, Sep 22, 2007
  7. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    > Robert Brace wrote:
    >
    >>> Well tickle my as with a willow stick! All this talk about DNG has
    >>> sparked
    >>> my curiosity so I decided I'd do a quick batch conversion to DNG. I
    >>> get "There was an error parsing this file" message! I'm using
    >>> v3.4x89. Does this mean I have to update my DNG converter to the
    >>> latest version? Damn! Talk about being held hostage by Adobe! I
    >>> guess this means that I have to download the newest version? I
    >>> think if I must be held hostage by anyone it
    >>> be Nikon and Canon since they have the proper source for the
    >>> conversion. Don't let Barry lie to you and get you to believe that
    >>> there will be any future compatibility with your equipment and DNG. Will
    >>> Adobe write a converter for the insanely awesome Mk IV and D4? Your
    >>> guess
    >>> is as good as mine.

    >> Rita:
    >> For Chrissakes download the FREE latest converter (v4.2) and
    >> convert the 1DIII files to your heart's content. Yah, you're held
    >> hostage all right, to the tune of a FREE converter download!

    > Yes, I did that and it, well, works. That's not the point. The issue is
    > what if Adobe decides they don't want to support a certain make or brand
    > of
    > camera? The point is if I want to put all my eggs in one basket it is
    > more
    > logical to put it in the basket where the goose that shits the golden egg
    > puts its eggs, which would be the Nikon and Canon basket. So much for the
    > DNG bullshit future proofing.
    >
    >> For one who purports to be an expert on about everything ever
    >> mentioned, I'm amazed you didn't know what will support that so-called
    >> "unable-to-focus-in-bright-light" technological wonder called the
    >> Canon 1DIII.

    > I haven't run across that problem. Even with "L" glass the old MK III
    > focuses just fine. Should I be concerned? Rita

    Not if you don't have the problem nor expect it in the future.
    However, I subscribe to the notion of "where there's smoke---------------".
    The fact that many other "early adopters" have run into the problem would
    give me pause (at least until Canon are reliably reported to have properly
    eliminated it).
    Bob

    Robert Brace, Sep 23, 2007
  8. Robert Brace wrote:

    >> I haven't run across that problem. Even with "L" glass the old MK
    >> III focuses just fine. Should I be concerned? Rita

    > Not if you don't have the problem nor expect it in the future.
    > However, I subscribe to the notion of "where there's
    > smoke---------------". The fact that many other "early adopters" have
    > run into the problem would give me pause (at least until Canon are
    > reliably reported to have properly eliminated it).

    I think that most people buying Canons realize that they will go through at
    least six firmware upgrades in the first year and possibly a trip to the
    service center for "Error 99" repairs and/or focusing issues. This is
    nothing new and is basically akin to rolling the dice. Some people get
    lucky while some don't. I have read a few horror stories about the Mk III
    as well as a bunch of good stories. I took the chance and am happy I did.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Sep 23, 2007
  9. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    D-Mac Guest

    "Robert Brace" <> wrote in message

    > "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
    >> Well tickle my as with a willow stick! All this talk about DNG has
    >> sparked
    >> my curiosity so I decided I'd do a quick batch conversion to DNG. I get
    >> "There was an error parsing this file" message! I'm using v3.4x89. Does
    >> this mean I have to update my DNG converter to the latest version? Damn!
    >> Talk about being held hostage by Adobe! I guess this means that I have
    >> download the newest version? I think if I must be held hostage by anyone
    >> it
    >> be Nikon and Canon since they have the proper source for the conversion.
    >> Don't let Barry lie to you and get you to believe that there will be any
    >> future compatibility with your equipment and DNG. Will Adobe write a
    >> converter for the insanely awesome Mk IV and D4? Your guess is as good
    >> as
    >> mine.

    > Rita
    >

    > Rita:
    > For Chrissakes download the FREE latest converter (v4.2) and convert
    > the 1DIII files to your heart's content. Yah, you're held hostage all
    > right, to the tune of a FREE converter download!
    > For one who purports to be an expert on about everything ever
    > mentioned, I'm amazed you didn't know what will support that so-called
    > "unable-to-focus-in-bright-light" technological wonder called the Canon
    > 1DIII.
    > Bob

    The "held hostage" bit is Canon's doing. They use a small piece of code to
    ID the files - and stuff up any 3rd part converter as well. The guys doing
    the free "Irfanview" plugins know all about it and how to get around it too.

    Don't be so quick to blame Adobe. They work with alien RAW standards that
    change from model to model. Given that struggle, they do a pretty fair job
    of it.

    Doug

    D-Mac, Sep 23, 2007
  10. On Sep 22, 4:45 pm, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    [snip]
    > Will Adobe write a converter for the insanely awesome Mk IV and D4?
    > Your guess is as good as mine.

    I'm sure you have already guessed that they will! (Unless you are
    blind to experience so far).

    And several other people have written DNG converters to suit their own
    needs. Most DNG converters were written by people/companies other than
    Adobe. With DNG, people are not locked into Adobe. DNG increases the
    choices of tools and workflows available to photographers.

    --
    Barry Pearson
    http://www.barrypearson.co.uk/photography/

    Barry Pearson, Sep 25, 2007
  11. On Sep 22, 6:21 pm, Scott W <> wrote:
    [snip]
    > SO who cares? I mean how many people, other then Barry, are bothering
    > with DNG? This seems like a non-issue to me.

    I suggest you examine other forums. You will find a lot of people in
    DPReview, for example, use DNG. Ditto other forums.

    Barry Pearson, Sep 25, 2007