Can't connect with security enabled

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Joe S., Aug 10, 2007.

  1. Joe S.

    Joe S. Guest

    I'm running an SMC Barricade router, brand new. Desktop and laptop
    computers both run WinXP SP2. This router has a built-in print server, 4
    LAN ports, and a wireless port. I have cable connection with a Motorola
    surfboard modem connected to WAN jack on the router. Desktop computer
    connects through Ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports.

    All setup went smoothly. Desktop connects to Internet and prints through
    the router.

    The laptop connects to the router wirelessly and prints through the router's
    print server ONLY IF SECURITY IS DISABLED ON THE ROUTER.

    When I enable the router's security: WEP/WPA. The router has separate WEP
    and WPA setup pages. I go to each of these enter a passphrase using eight
    digits and two letters (the letters are between a and f) -- same password
    for WEP and WPA. In WPA, I select TKIP (whatever that means).

    I set up the laptop the same way -- WPA, TKIP, enter the same passphrase.

    When I try to connect to the router wirelessly with the laptop, it asks for
    the passphrase -- I am careful to enter the same passphrase into the laptop.
    After waiting a few minutes, I get either no connection, or, "Limited or No
    Connectivity."

    If I turn off security in the router and operate an unsecured network, the
    laptop connects and prints through the router flawlessly.

    Can someone help?

    Thanks.

    Joe S., Aug 10, 2007

  2. Joe S.

    Joe S. Guest

    Re: Can't connect with security enabled -- MORE INFO

    "Joe S." <> wrote in message
    > I'm running an SMC Barricade router, brand new. Desktop and laptop
    > computers both run WinXP SP2. This router has a built-in print server, 4
    > LAN ports, and a wireless port. I have cable connection with a Motorola
    > surfboard modem connected to WAN jack on the router. Desktop computer
    > connects through Ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports.
    >
    > All setup went smoothly. Desktop connects to Internet and prints through
    > the router.
    >
    > The laptop connects to the router wirelessly and prints through the
    > router's print server ONLY IF SECURITY IS DISABLED ON THE ROUTER.
    >
    > When I enable the router's security: WEP/WPA. The router has separate
    > WEP and WPA setup pages. I go to each of these enter a passphrase using
    > eight digits and two letters (the letters are between a and f) -- same
    > password for WEP and WPA. In WPA, I select TKIP (whatever that means).
    >
    > I set up the laptop the same way -- WPA, TKIP, enter the same passphrase.
    >
    > When I try to connect to the router wirelessly with the laptop, it asks
    > for the passphrase -- I am careful to enter the same passphrase into the
    > laptop. After waiting a few minutes, I get either no connection, or,
    > "Limited or No Connectivity."
    >
    > If I turn off security in the router and operate an unsecured network, the
    > laptop connects and prints through the router flawlessly.
    >
    > Can someone help?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I had the same router, SMC Barricade SMC2804WBRP-G, for several years. It
    recently went out on me -- wouldn't connect through wireless or LAN, etc.,
    etc.

    I replaced it with a Netgear wired/wireless router. My desktop computer
    worked through the router just fine as did my laptop. WITH SECURITY ENABLED
    ON THE Netgear router, the laptop connected flawlessly.

    I replaced the Netgear with a new SMC router because I need to be able to
    print from my laptop through the wireless connection. So -- my laptop
    cannot connect to the SMC router with its security enabled but can connect
    to the Netgear router with its security enabled.

    I'm completely stumped.

    Joe S., Aug 10, 2007

  3. Joe S.

    "Joe S." <> wrote in message

    > "Joe S." <> wrote in message
    >> I'm running an SMC Barricade router, brand new. Desktop and laptop
    >> computers both run WinXP SP2. This router has a built-in print server, 4
    >> LAN ports, and a wireless port. I have cable connection with a Motorola
    >> surfboard modem connected to WAN jack on the router. Desktop computer
    >> connects through Ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports.
    >>
    >> All setup went smoothly. Desktop connects to Internet and prints through
    >> the router.
    >>
    >> The laptop connects to the router wirelessly and prints through the
    >> router's print server ONLY IF SECURITY IS DISABLED ON THE ROUTER.
    >>
    >> When I enable the router's security: WEP/WPA. The router has separate
    >> WEP and WPA setup pages. I go to each of these enter a passphrase using
    >> eight digits and two letters (the letters are between a and f) -- same
    >> password for WEP and WPA. In WPA, I select TKIP (whatever that means).
    >>
    >> I set up the laptop the same way -- WPA, TKIP, enter the same passphrase.
    >>
    >> When I try to connect to the router wirelessly with the laptop, it asks
    >> for the passphrase -- I am careful to enter the same passphrase into the
    >> laptop. After waiting a few minutes, I get either no connection, or,
    >> "Limited or No Connectivity."
    >>
    >> If I turn off security in the router and operate an unsecured network,
    >> the laptop connects and prints through the router flawlessly.
    >>
    >> Can someone help?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > I had the same router, SMC Barricade SMC2804WBRP-G, for several years. It
    > recently went out on me -- wouldn't connect through wireless or LAN, etc.,
    > etc.
    >
    > I replaced it with a Netgear wired/wireless router. My desktop computer
    > worked through the router just fine as did my laptop. WITH SECURITY
    > ENABLED ON THE Netgear router, the laptop connected flawlessly.
    >
    > I replaced the Netgear with a new SMC router because I need to be able to
    > print from my laptop through the wireless connection. So -- my laptop
    > cannot connect to the SMC router with its security enabled but can connect
    > to the Netgear router with its security enabled.
    >
    > I'm completely stumped.

    And another thing -- with security enabled, about half the time the laptop
    will try to connect and will get to the stage of "Acquiring Network
    Address" -- then it stops. The other half of the time, it gets "Limited or
    no connectivity."

    Joe S., Aug 10, 2007
  4. Joe S.

    Joe S. Guest

    Re: Can't connect with security enabled -- MORE INFO -- AND YET MORE INFO

    "Joe S." <> wrote in message

    > "Joe S." <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Joe S." <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm running an SMC Barricade router, brand new. Desktop and laptop
    >>> computers both run WinXP SP2. This router has a built-in print server,
    >>> 4 LAN ports, and a wireless port. I have cable connection with a
    >>> Motorola surfboard modem connected to WAN jack on the router. Desktop
    >>> computer connects through Ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports.
    >>>
    >>> All setup went smoothly. Desktop connects to Internet and prints
    >>> through the router.
    >>>
    >>> The laptop connects to the router wirelessly and prints through the
    >>> router's print server ONLY IF SECURITY IS DISABLED ON THE ROUTER.
    >>>
    >>> When I enable the router's security: WEP/WPA. The router has separate
    >>> WEP and WPA setup pages. I go to each of these enter a passphrase using
    >>> eight digits and two letters (the letters are between a and f) -- same
    >>> password for WEP and WPA. In WPA, I select TKIP (whatever that means).
    >>>
    >>> I set up the laptop the same way -- WPA, TKIP, enter the same
    >>> passphrase.
    >>>
    >>> When I try to connect to the router wirelessly with the laptop, it asks
    >>> for the passphrase -- I am careful to enter the same passphrase into the
    >>> laptop. After waiting a few minutes, I get either no connection, or,
    >>> "Limited or No Connectivity."
    >>>
    >>> If I turn off security in the router and operate an unsecured network,
    >>> the laptop connects and prints through the router flawlessly.
    >>>
    >>> Can someone help?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >> I had the same router, SMC Barricade SMC2804WBRP-G, for several years.
    >> It recently went out on me -- wouldn't connect through wireless or LAN,
    >> etc., etc.
    >>
    >> I replaced it with a Netgear wired/wireless router. My desktop computer
    >> worked through the router just fine as did my laptop. WITH SECURITY
    >> ENABLED ON THE Netgear router, the laptop connected flawlessly.
    >>
    >> I replaced the Netgear with a new SMC router because I need to be able to
    >> print from my laptop through the wireless connection. So -- my laptop
    >> cannot connect to the SMC router with its security enabled but can
    >> connect to the Netgear router with its security enabled.
    >>
    >> I'm completely stumped.
    >>

    > And another thing -- with security enabled, about half the time the laptop
    > will try to connect and will get to the stage of "Acquiring Network
    > Address" -- then it stops. The other half of the time, it gets "Limited
    > or no connectivity."

    I have two laptops.

    Using the Netgear router, both laptops connect with or without security
    enabled on the router.

    Using the SMC router, both laptops connect WITHOUT security enabled but will
    not connect WITH security enabled.

    Joe S., Aug 10, 2007