    The router is a Sky netgear and I'm using Windows XP.

    Any help appreciated
    Paul

    PaulH, Jun 24, 2007

  2. Hi
    This page might help you in finding out what is wrong,
    http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 24, 2007

  3. PaulH

    PaulH Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 11:25:49 -0400, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >This page might help you in finding out what is wrong,
    >http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html
    >Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Thanks
    Non of this helped. everything matches.
    can't get the link to step three to work.

    When I try to uninstall the Ethernet card or driver or try to disable
    them, the computer freezes.

    Paul

    PaulH, Jun 25, 2007
  4. PaulH

    Chuck Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 15:35:06 +0100, PaulH <>
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >I'm having trouble connecting via Ethernet cable, although all other
    >PC's on the network will connect wirelessly.
    >The icon on the taskbar says it connected but I can't use the
    >Internet.
    >I've tried an old belkin router and that won't work either.
    >I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver and tried to
    >repair the connection. I get a message saying unable to renew your ip
    >address.
    >The router is a Sky netgear and I'm using Windows XP.
    >
    >Any help appreciated
    >Paul

    Paul,

    Do you have the most current drivers for the Ethernet card? Have you tried
    physically removing the card, and un installing the drivers, then re installing?
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/dealing-with-physical-network-problems.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/dealing-with-physical-network-problems.html

    If so, I'd check for LSP / Winsock corruption. That's separate from the
    physical hardware and drivers.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/problems-with-lsp-winsock-layer-in.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/problems-with-lsp-winsock-layer-in.html

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

    Chuck, Jun 25, 2007
  5. PaulH

    Guest

    On 25-Jun-2007, Chuck <> wrote:

    > I get a message saying unable to renew your ip
    > >address.

    Static addressing usually fixes this, it just involves
    unticking 'Let Windows manage this connection'
    and putting in the numbers for

    The PC's unique IP address
    Subnet mask
    DNS server(s) (often the same as the
    gateway address)
    The gatway address (your routers IP address
    which is your gateway to the outside world)

    You get these numbers from Start -> Run
    ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
    and then opening ipconfig.txt with
    Notepad.
    You do this for one or more of the working
    PC's to get the numbers.
    ipconfig /all on the non-connecting machine
    may reveal all.
    Of course networking on the duff m/c may not
    have been created correctly when using the Wizard,
    but not getting an address seems like a simple DHCP
    problem. Often this is bacause the gateway address
    is wrong.

    , Jun 25, 2007