Can't connect to wireless router

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tim Witort, Dec 21, 2005.

  1. Tim Witort

    Tim Witort Guest

    I'm trying to configure a Netgear WGR614v5 wireless router
    as a wireless access point. I have 3 PCs on my network -
    two XP machines and one Win2K machine. I use ICS on the
    Win2K machine to share a dial-up connection with the two
    XP machines. The two XP machines have static IP addresses
    and are directed to the 2K machine's IP as a gateway.
    I'm hoping to use this Netgear router I have
    as an access point rather than buying a dedicated access point.
    Hey, I'm cheap.

    Netgear actually has instructions on how to do this, but
    I must be doing something wrong because I get to a certain
    point and I can no longer connect to the router's setup
    page.

    The default setting is that the router has its DHCP server
    turned on and its IP is 192.168.1.1. So I connect one of
    my XP machines directly to one of the 4 LAN ports on the
    router, set the XP machine to use DHCP to get its IP and
    DNS settings, then turn on the router and reboot the PC.
    The PC get assigned IP 192.168.1.2. When I open a browser
    and go to 192.168.1.1\basicsetting.htm as instructed by
    the Netgear info, I get the setup page fine. The instructions
    say to turn of the router's DHCP server, which I do. Then
    I'm supposed to change the router's IP address to 192.168.0.99
    which I do. When the IP is changed, I lose the connection
    with the router which is fine because this is expected and
    mentioned in Netgear's instructions. The instructions then
    say to hook the router up to the rest of the LAN and that
    I can now connect to the router via its new IP address.
    I attach the router to one of the ports on my switch, but
    I cannot reach the router from any PC. IE just times out
    every time. The router cannot be ping-ed either.

    The only time I've been able to connect to the router
    after turning off its DHCP server and changing its IP is
    when I change its IP to 192.168.1.99 rather than .0.99,
    then keep the XP machine directly attached to the router,
    and keep the XP machine's IP address at 192.168.1.2.
    Switching from the x.x.1.x subnet to the x.x.0.x subnet
    seems to render the router unreachable.

    Sorry this is so long, but is there any hope of getting
    this thing to act as a WAP or do I have to shell out
    the $60 for a true WAP?

    -- TRW
    _______________________________________
    t r w 7
    at
    i x dot n e t c o m dot c o m
    _______________________________________

    Tim Witort, Dec 21, 2005

  2. Tim Witort wrote:
    > I'm trying to configure a Netgear WGR614v5 wireless router
    > as a wireless access point. I have 3 PCs on my network -
    > two XP machines and one Win2K machine. I use ICS on the
    > Win2K machine to share a dial-up connection with the two
    > XP machines. The two XP machines have static IP addresses
    > and are directed to the 2K machine's IP as a gateway.
    > I'm hoping to use this Netgear router I have
    > as an access point rather than buying a dedicated access point.
    > Hey, I'm cheap.
    >
    > Netgear actually has instructions on how to do this, but
    > I must be doing something wrong because I get to a certain
    > point and I can no longer connect to the router's setup
    > page.
    >
    > The default setting is that the router has its DHCP server
    > turned on and its IP is 192.168.1.1. So I connect one of
    > my XP machines directly to one of the 4 LAN ports on the
    > router, set the XP machine to use DHCP to get its IP and
    > DNS settings, then turn on the router and reboot the PC.
    > The PC get assigned IP 192.168.1.2. When I open a browser
    > and go to 192.168.1.1\basicsetting.htm as instructed by
    > the Netgear info, I get the setup page fine. The instructions
    > say to turn of the router's DHCP server, which I do. Then
    > I'm supposed to change the router's IP address to 192.168.0.99
    > which I do. When the IP is changed, I lose the connection
    > with the router which is fine because this is expected and
    > mentioned in Netgear's instructions. The instructions then
    > say to hook the router up to the rest of the LAN and that
    > I can now connect to the router via its new IP address.
    > I attach the router to one of the ports on my switch, but
    > I cannot reach the router from any PC. IE just times out
    > every time. The router cannot be ping-ed either.
    >
    > The only time I've been able to connect to the router
    > after turning off its DHCP server and changing its IP is
    > when I change its IP to 192.168.1.99 rather than .0.99,
    > then keep the XP machine directly attached to the router,
    > and keep the XP machine's IP address at 192.168.1.2.
    > Switching from the x.x.1.x subnet to the x.x.0.x subnet
    > seems to render the router unreachable.
    >
    > Sorry this is so long, but is there any hope of getting
    > this thing to act as a WAP or do I have to shell out
    > the $60 for a true WAP?

    Either I'm missing it or you didn't say, but once you turn off DHCP with
    the router set to the subnet of x.x.0.x, you'll have to manually
    configure any computer connecting to it to that subnet. DHCP is off so
    there's no automatic IP assigned, and it has to be the same subnet to
    communicate.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 21, 2005

  3. Howdy!

    "Tim Witort" <> wrote in message

    <snipped tale of woe on trying to set up a Netgear WGR614v5 wireless router
    as a wireless access point>

    I'll add one note to Roger's statements - you never DID tell us what the IPs
    and subnet are for the current machines.

    AND - what port are you using to connect the router to the network?

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Dec 21, 2005
  4. Tim Witort

    Tim Witort Guest

    Ralph Wade Phillips seemed to utter in

    > Howdy!
    >
    > "Tim Witort" <> wrote in message
    >
    > <snipped tale of woe on trying to set up a Netgear WGR614v5 wireless
    > router as a wireless access point>
    >
    > I'll add one note to Roger's statements - you never DID tell us what
    > the IPs and subnet are for the current machines.
    >
    > AND - what port are you using to connect the router to the network?

    Sorry for those ommissions. After battling this for a while
    it all becomes a blur.

    My Win2K machine (the ICS host) is 192.168.0.1, the XP
    machines are 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3. I'm connecting
    the router to the network using one of the 4 ethernet
    ports available on the router with a Cat5 ethernet patch
    cable (not a Xover cable) going into one of the ethernet
    ports on my little 5-port switch.
    can
    connect
    Router IP router connected to to router?
    ------------- ------------------------ ------
    192.168.1.1 XP machine (192.168.1.2) yes
    192.168.1.99 XP machine (192.168.1.2) yes
    192.168.0.99 XP machine (192.168.0.3) no
    192.168.0.99 switch no

    It's as if the router is not set to a x.x.1.x subnet, it
    can't be reached. Since Netgear's website says they don't
    "support" using the router as a WAP and only offer the
    instructions as a "service to customers", I'm wondering
    if this is going to work. It seems I'm so close. Does
    the connection from the router to the switch need to be
    a xover cable? I thought that was only needed when
    connecting to machines directly from one NIC to the other.

    -- TRW
    _______________________________________
    t r w 7
    at
    i x dot n e t c o m dot c o m
    _______________________________________

    Tim Witort, Dec 21, 2005
  5. Tim Witort wrote:
    > Sorry for those ommissions. After battling this for a while
    > it all becomes a blur.
    >
    > My Win2K machine (the ICS host) is 192.168.0.1, the XP
    > machines are 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3. I'm connecting
    > the router to the network using one of the 4 ethernet
    > ports available on the router with a Cat5 ethernet patch
    > cable (not a Xover cable) going into one of the ethernet
    > ports on my little 5-port switch.
    > can
    > connect
    > Router IP router connected to to router?
    > ------------- ------------------------ ------
    > 192.168.1.1 XP machine (192.168.1.2) yes
    > 192.168.1.99 XP machine (192.168.1.2) yes
    > 192.168.0.99 XP machine (192.168.0.3) no
    > 192.168.0.99 switch no
    >
    > It's as if the router is not set to a x.x.1.x subnet, it
    > can't be reached. Since Netgear's website says they don't
    > "support" using the router as a WAP and only offer the
    > instructions as a "service to customers", I'm wondering
    > if this is going to work. It seems I'm so close. Does
    > the connection from the router to the switch need to be
    > a xover cable? I thought that was only needed when
    > connecting to machines directly from one NIC to the other.

    About the crossover cable, it depends. Most switches now automatically
    detect which to use and adjust accordingly. If there's an "uplink" port
    try that. Or try the crossover cable. You won't break anything by
    experimenting.

    You could try turning off DHCP on the router and set it and each of the
    computers to a fixed IP, all in the 192.168.1.x subnet. There's nothing
    special about the x.x.0.x subnet.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 21, 2005
  6. Tim Witort

    Tim Witort Guest

    Rôgêr seemed to utter in news:43a8e886$0$1697$:

    > Tim Witort wrote:
    >> Sorry for those ommissions. After battling this for a while
    >> it all becomes a blur.
    >>
    >> My Win2K machine (the ICS host) is 192.168.0.1, the XP
    >> machines are 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3. I'm connecting
    >> the router to the network using one of the 4 ethernet
    >> ports available on the router with a Cat5 ethernet patch
    >> cable (not a Xover cable) going into one of the ethernet
    >> ports on my little 5-port switch.
    >> can
    >> connect
    >> Router IP router connected to to router?
    >> ------------- ------------------------ ------
    >> 192.168.1.1 XP machine (192.168.1.2) yes
    >> 192.168.1.99 XP machine (192.168.1.2) yes
    >> 192.168.0.99 XP machine (192.168.0.3) no
    >> 192.168.0.99 switch no
    >>
    >> It's as if the router is not set to a x.x.1.x subnet, it
    >> can't be reached. Since Netgear's website says they don't
    >> "support" using the router as a WAP and only offer the
    >> instructions as a "service to customers", I'm wondering
    >> if this is going to work. It seems I'm so close. Does
    >> the connection from the router to the switch need to be
    >> a xover cable? I thought that was only needed when
    >> connecting to machines directly from one NIC to the other.

    > About the crossover cable, it depends. Most switches now automatically
    > detect which to use and adjust accordingly. If there's an "uplink" port
    > try that. Or try the crossover cable. You won't break anything by
    > experimenting.
    >
    > You could try turning off DHCP on the router and set it and each of the
    > computers to a fixed IP, all in the 192.168.1.x subnet. There's nothing
    > special about the x.x.0.x subnet.

    Thanks, Rôgêr. I'll give those options a try.

    -- TRW
    _______________________________________
    t r w 7
    at
    i x dot n e t c o m dot c o m
    _______________________________________

    Tim Witort, Dec 21, 2005
  7. Tim Witort

    Tim Witort Guest

    Tim Witort seemed to utter in news:Xns9732EFE2E7353timwitortwrotethis@
    207.217.125.201:

    > Rôgêr seemed to utter in news:43a8e886$0$1697$:
    >
    >> Tim Witort wrote:
    >>> Sorry for those ommissions. After battling this for a while
    >>> it all becomes a blur.
    >>>
    >>> My Win2K machine (the ICS host) is 192.168.0.1, the XP
    >>> machines are 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3. I'm connecting
    >>> the router to the network using one of the 4 ethernet
    >>> ports available on the router with a Cat5 ethernet patch
    >>> cable (not a Xover cable) going into one of the ethernet
    >>> ports on my little 5-port switch.
    >>> can
    >>> connect
    >>> Router IP router connected to to router?
    >>> ------------- ------------------------ ------
    >>> 192.168.1.1 XP machine (192.168.1.2) yes
    >>> 192.168.1.99 XP machine (192.168.1.2) yes
    >>> 192.168.0.99 XP machine (192.168.0.3) no
    >>> 192.168.0.99 switch no
    >>>
    >>> It's as if the router is not set to a x.x.1.x subnet, it
    >>> can't be reached. Since Netgear's website says they don't
    >>> "support" using the router as a WAP and only offer the
    >>> instructions as a "service to customers", I'm wondering
    >>> if this is going to work. It seems I'm so close. Does
    >>> the connection from the router to the switch need to be
    >>> a xover cable? I thought that was only needed when
    >>> connecting to machines directly from one NIC to the other.

    >> About the crossover cable, it depends. Most switches now automatically
    >> detect which to use and adjust accordingly. If there's an "uplink" port
    >> try that. Or try the crossover cable. You won't break anything by
    >> experimenting.
    >>
    >> You could try turning off DHCP on the router and set it and each of the
    >> computers to a fixed IP, all in the 192.168.1.x subnet. There's nothing
    >> special about the x.x.0.x subnet.

    > Thanks, Rôgêr. I'll give those options a try.
    >
    > -- TRW
    > _______________________________________
    > t r w 7
    > at
    > i x dot n e t c o m dot c o m
    > _______________________________________

    Well, chaning all of my machines to the 192.168.1.x subnet
    allowed me to connect to the router. Odd that it doesn't
    like the 192.168.0.x subnet! This is not to say all was
    fine and dandy after that... the router would not enable
    its wireless radio even though its status said it was on.
    The front panel indicator for wireless did not turn on and
    no wireless machines could see it. After some research
    in the Netgear forums, I found an obscure workaround that
    finally turned on the wireless radio and it seem to be
    working now.

    thanks for the help

    -- TRW
    t r w 7