Can't connect to wireless router without rebooting

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by cubilcle281, Jul 28, 2006.

  1. cubilcle281

    cubilcle281 Guest

    Hi all,

    I have a strange problem connecting my XP laptop to a linksys WRT54G
    router.

    I typically don't reboot the laptop, choosing to go into hibernate when
    I need to move the laptop from work to home.

    Lately, when I come out of hibernation & fire up the wireless on the
    laptop, it will normally (9 times out of 10) fail to connect.
    Rebooting the laptop will fix the problem, and the connection is rock
    solid from then on.

    The laptop didn't have the problem when new, but it has been getting
    progressively worse. Funnily enough, same thing happened with my last
    laptop (on Win 2000).

    The laptop seems to negotiate with the router, but it dies either when
    sending the WPA key or when obtaining an IP adress.

    Given that it is getting progressively worse, my best guess is that
    there is a table or something that is filling up with useless
    information that is slowing down the PC, so it isn't responding in time
    & therefore fails to make a connection. Only problem is I have no idea
    what it could be.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance.

    cubilcle281, Jul 28, 2006

  2. cubilcle281

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    When you Hibernate the computer it keeps all the recent data stored in
    memory and load them back when it wakes.

    So you Hibernate in the office and load the office data at home, and things
    clash.

    What do? Switch it Off do not Hibernate when you changing environment.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jul 28, 2006

  3. cubilcle281

    cubilcle281 Guest

    Hi,

    I think you may have what will ultimately will be the correct answer,
    but it doesn't explain why I was able to do this for some time & it has
    only recently become a problem.

    Having done a bit of reading since my first posting, I have guessed
    that the problem somehow involves WZC. Stopping and restarting the
    service seems to have fixed the problem, so something must be cached
    there.

    Thanks,

    cubilcle281, Jul 30, 2006