  1. i have a new HP Pavilion comp. I installed the wireless adapter (mn-510). t
    can pick up my base station (mn-500) and the signal strength is very good but
    it will not connect my new comp. to the internet. In the base station log I
    get the following message on each attempt to connect: " 2005/09/05 13:23:32
    Connection attempt to base station from WAN blocked --
    src:<217.164.249.219:2970> dst:<65.92.78.80:38205> "
    WEP security both on and off.
    Attempted with firewalls on and off.

    I am stumped.

    --
    Thx, Don

    =?Utf-8?B?RG9u?=, Sep 5, 2005

  2. Don,

    Double check that you're using a strait cable beweeen router and modem, and
    that your modem is plugged into the WAN port on your router. Can you try to
    login through a wired connection and see if that works? Make sure your router
    has the latest firmware, and try resetting your router. Make sure your
    wireless card has the latest drivers.

    When you say "Can't connect to the enter net", do you mean that you can't
    connect to the internet, or that you are having problems with the "EnterNet
    PPPoE" client software?

    regards,

    Andrew.

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IExlaXRo?=, Sep 10, 2005

  3. Andrew:

    thank you for taking the time to respond. I apologize for the typo. I did
    mean "Internet" rather than "enternet". I have tried all of your suggestions
    with no effect. It is as if the router/base station is blocking the
    connection. i have also lost my PS2 connectionb (linksys adapter) connection
    as well.
    --
    Thx, Don

    =?Utf-8?B?RG9u?=, Sep 10, 2005
  4. Don,

    I take it that you can't even enter the router's setup interface. Your
    router may have shut down in order to protect you from attack.(speculation)
    Anyway, I do have a couple of other suggestions. First, disconnect your modem
    from the router and leave it disconnected. Power off the modem by unplugging
    its power supply, don't bother with its on/off switch, if it has one, and
    leave it unplugged for at least five minutes. Makes sure it is disconnected
    from the internet, as well.

    While the modem is busy draining its capacitors, make sure your router is
    diconnected from everything except its own power supply , and use the
    hardware reset button on the back of the router, usually this is a depressed
    button that requires the tip of a pen, pin or paper clip to access it. With
    the router powered on, press and hold the reset button for a full fifteen
    seconds, you should see the various lights on the router blink after awhile.
    Then power it off. Wait a minute, powerit on, connect it to your wired
    ethernet connection and see if you can access the router's setup routine, for
    a LinkSys product usually this means entering http://192.168.1.1, then admin
    as the username and password. Make sure any parameters that you know you
    entered have disappeared, this will confirm that the hardware reset was
    successful. Don't reconnect your modem yet, as we want the eleiminate the
    router as a source of the problem. If you can't get in to the router try
    shutting down your PS/2 and restarting it whit the router connected,
    hopefully it will establish a normal DHCP configuration and at least then we
    can be reasonably sure of the router, and your hardwired ethernet connection.
    If you can get into the router, re-establish your internet login parameters
    and see if connecting and powering on the modem will get you back onto the
    internet, it may take the better part of a minutefor the modem to reconnect.
    Once done, you can re-establish your wireless connection. I like doing things
    one at a time, or else you can introduce too many variables to keep track of.

    Hope this helps, will check back later.

    Andrew.

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IExlaXRo?=, Sep 10, 2005
  5. Don,

    hope I'm not getting too redundant for you, but I have one other suggestion.
    Plug you modem directly into your PS/2, and see if you can login to the
    internet that way.

    B.T.W., when you say PS/2, do you mean IBM Persoanl System 2 or PlayStation
    2? What operating system(s) do you run?

    Andrew.

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IExlaXRo?=, Sep 11, 2005
  6. Don,

    one more bit of info., check out this link :

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812964

    Andrew.

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IExlaXRo?=, Sep 11, 2005
  7. Andrew:

    Thx for your help I will give that a try. By PS/2 I mean Playstation.
    --
    Thx, Don

    =?Utf-8?B?RG9u?=, Sep 13, 2005