    doesn't recognize it. I'm using Win2000 OS and the latest
    SQL download. Any ideas?

    Thanks, Jay

    Jay, Nov 9, 2003

  2. Jay

    Guest Guest

    Have you installed the server components? Wih Win 2000
    only the Developer edition of SQL Server (2000) can
    install both client and server components.
    All other editions can only install client components.

    Check if the SQL server engine is running?

    Guest, Nov 9, 2003

  3. What's the error you get?

    Leigh Kendall, Nov 10, 2003
  4. Jay

    Guest Guest

    Can you connect through Query Analyzer? Also, keep in mind that with Windows
    Authentication, the password is left blank.

    Guest, Nov 10, 2003
  5. Jay

    Guest Guest

    I'm at a standstill in my studies!

    I haven't seen anything resembling a "Query Analyzer"
    which makes me lean toward the theory that I have
    installed only the client components of SQL.

    I installed SQL2KSP3.exe. Is that version restricted to
    client components? I'm running on Win2000 with IIS
    services and no external server - so I guess you'd say
    that my computer is both server and client. I will look
    for the Developer edition of SQL server(2000) - is it a
    free download (foolish grin, we are talking MS)? Does it
    matter where on the hard drive one installs the server....
    That is, should it be installed in the InetPub directory
    or can I take the default location? Yes - the server I
    installed does seem to be running; it appears in the icon
    tray bottom right and I can turn it on and off.

    The MCAD/MCSD Training guide states that the SQL
    administrator (me) must create an account for ASPNET,
    which I have tried to do - but I suspect that I do not
    indeed have the server components installed, because the
    interface seems rather rudimentary. I fear I have no
    experience with SQL server setup and don't know what to
    expect.

    Have you installed the server components? Wih Win 2000
    only the Developer edition of SQL Server (2000) can
    install both client and server components.
    All other editions can only install client components.

    Check if the SQL server engine is running?

    ..

    Can you connect through Query Analyzer? Also, keep in mind
    that with Windows
    Authentication, the password is left blank.

    "Jay" <> wrote in
    message
    > I'm slogging my way through the MCAD/MCSD Training guide
    > and now I'm at chapter 5 which uses SQL but I can't make

    > connection. SQL is up and running - the software just
    > doesn't recognize it. I'm using Win2000 OS and the

    latest
    > SQL download. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks, Jay

    ..