Can't connect to SQL redux

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by Jay, Nov 12, 2003.

  1. Jay

    Jay Guest

    I'm at a standstill in my studies! This post contains
    references to several answers posted heretofor... it has
    been several days since my first post...please scan the
    entire post and give what aid you can.

    I haven't seen anything resembling a "Query Analyzer"
    which makes me lean toward the theory that I have
    installed only the client components of SQL.

    I installed SQL2KSP3.exe. Is that version restricted to
    client components? I'm running on Win2000 with IIS
    services and no external server - so I guess you'd say
    that my computer is both server and client. I will look
    for the Developer edition of SQL server(2000) - is it a
    free download (foolish grin, we are talking MS)? Does it
    matter where on the hard drive one installs the server....
    That is, should it be installed in the InetPub directory
    or can I take the default location? Yes - the server I
    installed does seem to be running; it appears in the icon
    tray bottom right and I can turn it on and off.

    The MCAD/MCSD Training guide states that the SQL
    administrator (me) must create an account for ASPNET,
    which I have tried to do - but I suspect that I do not
    indeed have the server components installed, because the
    interface seems rather rudimentary. I fear I have no
    experience with SQL server setup and don't know what to
    expect.

    Jay, Nov 12, 2003

  2. Jay

    Jay Guest

    I found that SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition can be
    leased for $50 - certainly do-able if that is the only
    solution to my problem - obviously I'd rather not spend
    the money. Your thoughts?
    Jay, Nov 12, 2003

  3. Jay wrote:
    > I'm at a standstill in my studies! This post contains
    > references to several answers posted heretofor... it has
    > been several days since my first post...please scan the
    > entire post and give what aid you can.
    >
    > I haven't seen anything resembling a "Query Analyzer"
    > which makes me lean toward the theory that I have
    > installed only the client components of SQL.

    The Query Analyzer *is* part of the client components. If you installed
    MSDE, you wouldn't have the Query Analyzer.

    > I installed SQL2KSP3.exe. Is that version restricted to
    > client components? I'm running on Win2000 with IIS
    > services and no external server - so I guess you'd say
    > that my computer is both server and client. I will look
    > for the Developer edition of SQL server(2000) - is it a
    > free download (foolish grin, we are talking MS)? Does it
    > matter where on the hard drive one installs the server....
    > That is, should it be installed in the InetPub directory
    > or can I take the default location? Yes - the server I
    > installed does seem to be running; it appears in the icon
    > tray bottom right and I can turn it on and off.

    Uh, don't install SQL Server to c:\inetpub. Accept the defaults.
    Another common convention is to install it to c:\mssql. Can't you see
    the server using Server Explorer?

    > The MCAD/MCSD Training guide states that the SQL
    > administrator (me) must create an account for ASPNET,
    > which I have tried to do - but I suspect that I do not
    > indeed have the server components installed, because the
    > interface seems rather rudimentary. I fear I have no
    > experience with SQL server setup and don't know what to
    > expect.

    You can do it with osql.exe, Query Analyzer (isqlw.exe), or Enterprise
    Manager. Easiest way is with Enterprise Manager.

    Do you have a "Microsoft SQL Server 2000" menu in your Start menu?
    General Protection Fault, Nov 12, 2003
  4. Jay

    Jay Guest

    I am able to see "SQL Server" using Server Explorer- when
    I expand the tree, I see "JAYCOMPUTER", which is one of
    the user names with admin privileges. When I click
    on "JAYCOMPUTER" there is a dialog box asking me to log
    on. SO far all efforts to log in result in the
    msg "Server not available OR access denied". I've tried
    setting up a user "ASPNET" with admin and debugger
    privileges but logon fails with that user as well.

    Jay, Nov 12, 2003
  5. Jay

    Jay Guest

    Do you have a "Microsoft SQL Server 2000" menu in your
    Start menu?

    NO
    Jay, Nov 12, 2003
  6. Jay

    Guest Guest

    Where to begin ...

    "Jay" <> wrote in message
    > I'm at a standstill in my studies! This post contains
    > references to several answers posted heretofor... it has
    > been several days since my first post...please scan the
    > entire post and give what aid you can.
    >
    > I haven't seen anything resembling a "Query Analyzer"
    > which makes me lean toward the theory that I have
    > installed only the client components of SQL.
    >
    > I installed SQL2KSP3.exe. Is that version restricted to
    > client components?

    SQL2KSP3.exe is the service pack download.

    > I'm running on Win2000 with IIS
    > services and no external server - so I guess you'd say
    > that my computer is both server and client. I will look
    > for the Developer edition of SQL server(2000) - is it a
    > free download (foolish grin, we are talking MS)?

    If you want to run the server component on your workstation, then you will
    need MSDE or the Developer Edition. MSDE is free for download, but does not
    come with any front end utilities (Enterprise Manager, etc.). This is more
    useful for deployment on end user PCs than for development work. The
    Developer Edition can be purchased for around $100, and it's only limitation
    is not supporting external connections. If you want to pass the SQL Server
    cert couse, then it would be best to use the DE, so you will become familiar
    with the standard environment.

    > Does it
    > matter where on the hard drive one installs the server....
    > That is, should it be installed in the InetPub directory
    > or can I take the default location? Yes - the server I
    > installed does seem to be running; it appears in the icon
    > tray bottom right and I can turn it on and off.

    Install it to the default location, somewhere under C:\Program Files..
    Do not install under ..\InetPub, that's where your web pages are hosted.

    > The MCAD/MCSD Training guide states that the SQL
    > administrator (me) must create an account for ASPNET,
    > which I have tried to do - but I suspect that I do not
    > indeed have the server components installed, because the
    > interface seems rather rudimentary. I fear I have no
    > experience with SQL server setup and don't know what to
    > expect.

    Read up on how to install and configure IIS and ASP.NET here:
    http://www.asp101.com/lessons/install.asp

    WKidd

    Guest, Nov 12, 2003