Can't Connect to Router

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?U3RlcGhlbiBCcm93bg==?=, Jan 29, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I have a new PC with WinXP SP2 and a netgear wireless card which I can't
    get to connect to my existing wireless network.

    My existing network has one other PC and two Netgear MP3 players attached
    and is working fine.

    The new PC had a generic card but when this didn't work I replaced it with a
    netgear one.

    I can detect my network but cannot connect to it either with XP or with the
    netgear configuration software.

    Things I have tried:-
    Replacing the Network Card
    The computer is in the same room as the router and signal strength is 90 +
    The network is set up without encryption and I have turned of MAC address
    checking
    I have disabled the XP firewall
    Dowloaded latest drivers and utility from Netgear

    None of these things have made any difference.

    Can anybody offer any other suggestions or point to some software that
    could help diagnose the problem ? JUst getting a can't connect message is not
    a lot of help

    Thanks,
    Stephen

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RlcGhlbiBCcm93bg==?=, Jan 29, 2005

  2. If you can detect your router on the new pc then the only thing that will
    stop you from conecting is a firewall, which you say you disabled, or
    WEP/WAP encryption. Do you have encryption set on your router and forgot to
    set it on the new pc?

    Robert...

    Robert Jacobs, Jan 29, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?U3RlcGhlbiBCcm93bg==?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    May be this can Help.
    Wireless - BasicSecurity: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jan 30, 2005
  4. Robert,

    Thanks for the reply but no, I don't have encryption set on either the
    router or the new pc.

    Stephen

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RlcGhlbiBCcm93bg==?=, Jan 30, 2005
  5. Jack,

    Thanks for your reply, but I'm still stuck.

    I'd already tried moving the PC, disabling the XP2 firewall, removing all
    encrytion and mac address checking on the router, downloading latest software
    from netgear

    But I still can't connect.

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RlcGhlbiBCcm93bg==?=, Feb 5, 2005