    Any thoughts as to why this is happening?

    Thank you,
    Len
    =?Utf-8?B?TGVuQw==?=, Nov 5, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TGVuQw==?=

    David Hettel Guest

    So tell us about the wireless adapters, are they all the same model? What
    about the drivers, are they the same? What about the OS, are they the same?
    You might want to try the troubleshooter here: http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Nov 5, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TGVuQw==?=

    BobC Guest

    On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 14:13:02 -0800, LenC wrote:

    > I have a wireless network with a linksys router (four computers - 1 is wired
    > to router, three are wireless). When SSID Broadcast is on, everything works
    > fine. When I turn it off, one of my three wireless computers (call it #3)
    > can not detect the network, even though it is listed as a preferred network
    > on computer #3. As soon as I turn SSID broadcast back on, it reconnects
    > immediately.
    >
    > Any thoughts as to why this is happening?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Len

    Not all wireless NICs will work with SSID broadcast off.
    BobC, Nov 6, 2006
  4. Hi
    SSID has to be On for proper work of the Wireless Clients.
    There is a myth that SSID Off helps with security, but it is only a Myth.
    See here, http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ssid
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 6, 2006
  5. In addition to the comments by the others you may be interested in
    this...See the "Changes for nonbroadcast networks" section...

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917021

    With that said I agree with Jack about not disabling the SSID broadcast. It
    is not a valid security measure and may actually help others avoid
    broadcasting on the same channel, which can certainly cause other issues,
    you are if they can see your SSID. By properly securing your network with
    strong encryption, ie. WPA or WPA2, you will not have issues with others
    accessing your network...

    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/10907

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)