Can't connect to mail server through wireless connection

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Joe S., Nov 7, 2005.

  1. Joe S.

    Joe S. Guest

    Here's the story.

    We lived in Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi -- 20 feet above Mean Sea Level.
    Hurricane Katrina came ashore with a 35-foot storm surge, putting us 15 feet
    underwater. Neither my desktop nor laptop computer survived submersion in
    salt water and mud -- and nothing else we owned survived, either. Insurance
    company paid off quickly and we are now in northeast Tennessee -- 1,500 feet
    above MSL and not coming down.

    Purchased new computers, printers, etc. No problem with the desktop -- the
    problem is with the laptop.

    I have a Comcast cable connection through a Motorola Surfboard modem with
    integral wireless access point (the modem has an antenna sticking out of the
    top).

    My new laptop is an HP Pavilion dv1000 with built-in wireless capability.
    The laptop connects without a problem to the Motorola cable modem/access
    point. With the laptop I can access websites through the browser (Internet
    Explorer) and I can access newsgroups (newsguy).

    However, when I am on the laptop and try to check e-mail -- that is, access
    the Comcast mail server -- I get the following error message:

    QUOTE
    inactivity. Account "mail.comcast.net", Server "mail.comcast.net,"
    Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure (SSL): No, Socket Error: 10053, Error
    Number: 0x800CCC0F
    END QUOTE

    When I first set up the laptop, I was able to access my e-mail without a
    problem. I put the laptop in the closet for a few days and now I can't get
    to my e-mail through the laptop.

    Comcast is no help at all.

    wireless network.
    -- When first set up, everything worked fine.
    -- Now, when I use the laptop I can access the WWW through my browser and I
    can access newsgroups through OE, but, I get the above-listed error message
    when I try to access my e-mail.
    -- Yes, I have the e-mail account set up correctly with user name, password,
    etc.

    Any idea what's going on here and how I can fix it?

    Joe S., Nov 7, 2005

  2. Joe S.

    Railen

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    hello I think this may help you.

    The Comcast Mail server settings are as follows:

    Outgoing mail (SMTP): smtp.comcast.net
    Incoming mail (POP3): mail.comcast.net

    Open a command prompt. In Windows just hit "start", click on "run" and type cmd.

    A DOS box will open, and you type
    telnet smtp.comcast.net 25
    if you can connect to the server try the following
    You will then need to delcare where you are sending the email from:
    HELO local.domain.name - dont worry too much about your local domain name although you really should use your exact fully qualified domain name as seen by the outside world the mail server has no choice but to take your word for it as of RFC822-RFC1123.
    This should give you:
    250 mail.domain.ext Hello local.domain.name [loc.al.i.p], pleased to meet you

    Now give your email address:
    MAIL FROM:
    Should yeild:
    250 2.1.0 ... Sender ok
    Now give the recipients address:
    RCPT TO:
    Should yeild:
    250 2.1.0 ... Recipient ok

    To start composing the message issue the command DATA

    If you want a subject for your email type Subject:-type subject here- then press enter twice (these are needed to conform to RFC 882)

    You may now proceed to type the body of your message (e.g. hello from )

    To tell the mail server that you have completed the message enter a single "." on a line on it's own.
    The mail server should reply with: 250 2.0.0 ???????? Message accepted for delivery

    You can close the connection by issuing the QUIT command.
    The mailserver should reply with something like:221 2.0.0 mail.domain.ext closing connection
    Connection closed by foreign host.
    then go to the email account that you have sent a message to and see if you have recieved it...email account must be different than the one you use to send.

    if you cannot connect to the smtp server in the first explanation try the following

    you may need to change the prot you are using..generally it is 25 but could be changed to 587 you can do this and also run email tests by following these instructions.

    I would try running email test before changing the port

    To do this in Outlook -
    • Go to tools - e-mail accounts - view or change existing account
    • Sselect the appropriate mail account and hit the change button
    • Go to the more settings button, and into the Advanced tab
    • Change your default port 25, to port 587, and you should be back in business.
    In Outlook express -
    • Go to tools - accounts - Mail tab
    • Choose Properties box - Advanced Tab - and from there you can do the same
    if all this fails you may need to set up the smtp and pop3 server for your laptop or you may have an email scannign problem with AV software on your laptop or the settings on your wireless router are causing the problem.

    If you have a linksys router access it by typing in http://192.168.1.1 and if you have a 2wire router access it by typing in http://172.16.01 you can change all settings on both routers this way...by reading your error message that says Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for
    inactivity. Account "mail.comcast.net", Server "mail.comcast.net,"
    Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure (SSL): No, Socket Error: 10053, Error
    Number: 0x800CCC0F

    The POP3 is the protocol on port 110 that is not connecting to the comcast email server. this is the port that allows you to send email out. you can follow my previous instructions to resolve this problem. It sounds like you do not have the POP3 and SMTP properly set up on your laptop. The Comcast technician should be able to explain to you how to do this if you cannot resolve the problem with what I have posted here. Good luck hope it works out.

    Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
    Railen, Dec 22, 2007