    Any suggestions would be appreciated!

    Thanks,
    Jasper
    Jasper Recto, Feb 25, 2005

  2. Jasper Recto

    DJ Borell Guest

    "Jasper Recto" <> wrote in message
    news:%...
    >I have a company laptop that is part of our company domain. When I take it
    > to our local hotspot, I can't connect to the internet. The wireless card
    > is
    > setup for DHCP and the hotspot assigns me my IP scheme. My signal
    > strength
    > is excellent and the hotspot has no WEP security. When I try to go
    > online,
    > I get a 'Cant display page' error. At the bottom, it tells me that there
    > is
    > a DNS error even though I have been assigned a DNS address.

    Does your domain use any proxy settings?

    If so, these setting may be preventing you from connecting when you aren't
    on the domain. Check this by opening Internet Options. On the
    "Connections" tab, click "LAN settings..." This will display any custom
    settings. Generally, if no proxy is use, you should be able to connect by
    clearing all settings and using "Automatically detect settings". Note that
    if you make any changes, you will need to revert back once you are back in
    your domain. Also, if you are not a member of the Administrators group, you
    may not have permissions to change these settings.
    DJ Borell, Feb 25, 2005

  3. Jasper Recto

    Jasper Recto Guest

    We DO use a proxy setting but I have unchecked this option and had it try to
    autodetect the settings but that still didn't work.

    Jasper

    Jasper Recto, Feb 25, 2005
  4. Jasper Recto

    > We DO use a proxy setting but I have unchecked this option and had it try
    > autodetect the settings but that still didn't work.

    It's a little tough to say, particularly in that you're system is part of a
    domain and I have no idea what settings may be applied via GPO. As you are
    receiving DHCP options, confirm that they are correct, particularly the DNS
    and Gateway IP. Since you've got a system that is connecting, that should
    be easy to verify. When you are connected, can you ping any servers
    successfully? Or, while in IE, can you navigate anywhere by IP as opposed
    to by FQDN?
    DJ Borell, Feb 25, 2005