    tho I have enabled file and printer sharing. The notebook has none of the
    other computors listed on its work group. It will however connect to the
    internet using the same connection as the workgroup. What do I do now?
    =?Utf-8?B?R21hY2hpcA==?=, Oct 4, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?R21hY2hpcA==?=

    Malke Guest

    Gmachip wrote:

    > I am trying to connect my new notebook to my hoe office network. The
    > notebook
    > is on the workgroup list of the other computors but I cannot acccess
    > it even tho I have enabled file and printer sharing. The notebook has
    > none of the other computors listed on its work group. It will however
    > connect to the internet using the same connection as the workgroup.
    > What do I do now?

    This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the
    Network Setup Wizard on both computers, making sure to enable File &
    Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn
    on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
    firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
    Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
    third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
    Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
    IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
    substitute your correct subnet.

    If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:

    accounts/passwords on all computers.

    b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
    Simple File Sharing enabled.

    resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
    matters in your situation.

    Shared Documents folder.

    If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
    troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
    and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers