Can't connect 'new' laptop to wireless network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by yoshifumu, Dec 8, 2010.

  1. yoshifumu

    yoshifumu

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    've just setup a new netgear router (DG834GV5) in my home. We have two laptops.

    Problem is, my laptop, which we used to setup the network and router is fine and works. the other laptop can't find the network.

    First off, it's ethernet port isn't working, so can't get wired internet.

    Secondly the laptop does find networks, a lot of them, but not a single one is ours.

    I've tried moving it around at different distances and nothings worked so far.

    Went to the netgear guys the other day. Told us to turn on access control. That got both of us finding the network, but neither of us allowing to connect. I turned it off and both of us connected. Then this morning it stopped working again, and turning on access control didn't do anything apart from stop me connecting.

    I sent them this info, but tbh, their english is crap and it takes them days to get back to you.

    What do i do?

    Laptop specs are:

    Dell Latitude x1 (windows XP sp3) with an intel pro/wireless 2200BG network connection.

    and i haven't hidden the ssid.

    Thanks
    yoshifumu, Dec 8, 2010