Can't connect laptop to Home Network - Please Help!

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?SmVmZg==?=, Jun 3, 2006.

  1. I am unable to connect my new laptop (54G 802.11 b/g card) to my home network
    (Microsoft MN-700 router, Linksys Cable modem). My laptop sees my network
    (shows on my list of available networks) but will not connect. In my network
    settings, it shows my network adpater as not connected but a 1394 connection
    as connected. I am using WEP security and I have made sure I have typed in
    the correct key. I tried connecting my laptop to my offcie wireless network
    and I had no problems. Also, a year ago when I had a laptop, it connected to
    my home network with no problems. Configuration: my home desktop machine has
    an ethernet connection to the router and then there is a (Ethernet-USB)
    connection between the router to the cable modem. Any help or advice would
    be greatly appreciated.
     
    =?Utf-8?B?SmVmZg==?=, Jun 3, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. I'm having the exact same problem. I had hoped taht someone would have
    responded to your post by now. I think that I have narrowed my problem down
    to the IP address, but I don't know how to "convince" my new laptop to use
    the range assigned to the router. My other laptop is set for "Obtain IP
    address automatically", but always uses the same one to connect.

    I used the Windows wireless wizard to transfer the settings from one
    computer to the next, but for some reason the new computer isn't picking up
    the required range of IP addresses. It's using something random and
    different everytime.

    Do you think that may also be your problem?

    If so, can anyone out there suggest how to force the IP range, without
    having to give the computer a static IP?

    Thanks
    Debbie

    "Jeff" wrote:

    > I am unable to connect my new laptop (54G 802.11 b/g card) to my home network
    > (Microsoft MN-700 router, Linksys Cable modem). My laptop sees my network
    > (shows on my list of available networks) but will not connect. In my network
    > settings, it shows my network adpater as not connected but a 1394 connection
    > as connected. I am using WEP security and I have made sure I have typed in
    > the correct key. I tried connecting my laptop to my offcie wireless network
    > and I had no problems. Also, a year ago when I had a laptop, it connected to
    > my home network with no problems. Configuration: my home desktop machine has
    > an ethernet connection to the router and then there is a (Ethernet-USB)
    > connection between the router to the cable modem. Any help or advice would
    > be greatly appreciated.
     
    =?Utf-8?B?d2lsbGlzMTcwMA==?=, Jun 4, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. =?Utf-8?B?SmVmZg==?=

    Lem Guest

    willis1700 wrote:
    > I'm having the exact same problem. I had hoped taht someone would have
    > responded to your post by now. I think that I have narrowed my problem down
    > to the IP address, but I don't know how to "convince" my new laptop to use
    > the range assigned to the router. My other laptop is set for "Obtain IP
    > address automatically", but always uses the same one to connect.
    >
    > I used the Windows wireless wizard to transfer the settings from one
    > computer to the next, but for some reason the new computer isn't picking up
    > the required range of IP addresses. It's using something random and
    > different everytime.
    >
    > Do you think that may also be your problem?
    >
    > If so, can anyone out there suggest how to force the IP range, without
    > having to give the computer a static IP?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Debbie
    >
    > "Jeff" wrote:
    >
    >
    >>I am unable to connect my new laptop (54G 802.11 b/g card) to my home network
    >>(Microsoft MN-700 router, Linksys Cable modem). My laptop sees my network
    >>(shows on my list of available networks) but will not connect. In my network
    >>settings, it shows my network adpater as not connected but a 1394 connection
    >>as connected. I am using WEP security and I have made sure I have typed in
    >>the correct key. I tried connecting my laptop to my offcie wireless network
    >>and I had no problems. Also, a year ago when I had a laptop, it connected to
    >>my home network with no problems. Configuration: my home desktop machine has
    >>an ethernet connection to the router and then there is a (Ethernet-USB)
    >>connection between the router to the cable modem. Any help or advice would
    >>be greatly appreciated.


    Debbie --

    If the "random and different everytime" IP address that your new laptop
    gets is of the form 169.254.X.X, that means that it is not able to
    obtain an IP address from the router. There are several possible causes
    for this: (1) the router's DHCP server is turned off (this seems
    unlikely if your other laptop can successfully obtain an IP address);
    (2) the wireless radio on your new laptop is not turned on (this happens
    more often than you might think; on laptops, there often is a key
    combination (Fn+some F key) that turns it on & off; see your
    documentation); (3) there is a firewall on your laptop blocking access.

    For both Debbie & Jeff --

    When first attempting to set up a wireless network connection, turn off
    ALL encryption in both the router and the laptop. Also turn off ALL
    software firewalls. There may be more than one (Windows built-in
    firewall; Norton, ZoneAlarm, etc.; even an antivirus with "Internet worm
    protection"). Once you can establish a reliable connection, then turn
    on the best encryption available and activate one firewall. (As long as
    you're connecting to the Internet through a NAT router (and you are),
    you will be safe without a firewall.)
     
    Lem, Jun 5, 2006
    #3
  4. Lem,

    Thanks. The on/off switch was a problem the first day, but I figured that
    one out.

    I was afraid to turn off all encryption and mess with the router settings
    for fear the other computers would lose their connection. Before I got your
    idea, I decided that, since my laptop had an wired Ethernet card along with
    the wireless card, I would try to set up the Ethernet connection to the
    router first - to establish the wired connection with the Belkin software,
    then unplug and the wireless would hopefully also be set.

    IT WORKED!!

    Jeff, if you have your router software and your new laptop has a wired NIC
    card, try that. Just unplug your network cable from your desktop, run the
    software for your router and plug in the network cable when it says to. Once
    you get that connection set, everything else appeared to reset itself
    properly and the wireless card was also recognized by the router.

    Debbie

    "Lem" wrote:

    > willis1700 wrote:
    > > I'm having the exact same problem. I had hoped taht someone would have
    > > responded to your post by now. I think that I have narrowed my problem down
    > > to the IP address, but I don't know how to "convince" my new laptop to use
    > > the range assigned to the router. My other laptop is set for "Obtain IP
    > > address automatically", but always uses the same one to connect.
    > >
    > > I used the Windows wireless wizard to transfer the settings from one
    > > computer to the next, but for some reason the new computer isn't picking up
    > > the required range of IP addresses. It's using something random and
    > > different everytime.
    > >
    > > Do you think that may also be your problem?
    > >
    > > If so, can anyone out there suggest how to force the IP range, without
    > > having to give the computer a static IP?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Debbie
    > >
    > > "Jeff" wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > >>I am unable to connect my new laptop (54G 802.11 b/g card) to my home network
    > >>(Microsoft MN-700 router, Linksys Cable modem). My laptop sees my network
    > >>(shows on my list of available networks) but will not connect. In my network
    > >>settings, it shows my network adpater as not connected but a 1394 connection
    > >>as connected. I am using WEP security and I have made sure I have typed in
    > >>the correct key. I tried connecting my laptop to my offcie wireless network
    > >>and I had no problems. Also, a year ago when I had a laptop, it connected to
    > >>my home network with no problems. Configuration: my home desktop machine has
    > >>an ethernet connection to the router and then there is a (Ethernet-USB)
    > >>connection between the router to the cable modem. Any help or advice would
    > >>be greatly appreciated.

    >
    > Debbie --
    >
    > If the "random and different everytime" IP address that your new laptop
    > gets is of the form 169.254.X.X, that means that it is not able to
    > obtain an IP address from the router. There are several possible causes
    > for this: (1) the router's DHCP server is turned off (this seems
    > unlikely if your other laptop can successfully obtain an IP address);
    > (2) the wireless radio on your new laptop is not turned on (this happens
    > more often than you might think; on laptops, there often is a key
    > combination (Fn+some F key) that turns it on & off; see your
    > documentation); (3) there is a firewall on your laptop blocking access.
    >
    > For both Debbie & Jeff --
    >
    > When first attempting to set up a wireless network connection, turn off
    > ALL encryption in both the router and the laptop. Also turn off ALL
    > software firewalls. There may be more than one (Windows built-in
    > firewall; Norton, ZoneAlarm, etc.; even an antivirus with "Internet worm
    > protection"). Once you can establish a reliable connection, then turn
    > on the best encryption available and activate one firewall. (As long as
    > you're connecting to the Internet through a NAT router (and you are),
    > you will be safe without a firewall.)
    >
     
    =?Utf-8?B?d2lsbGlzMTcwMA==?=, Jun 5, 2006
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. D. J. Petersdorf

    Connect HP Laptop to home network

    D. J. Petersdorf, Sep 7, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    661
    Miggsee
    Sep 7, 2003
  2. Replies:
    12
    Views:
    43,632
  3. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,765
  4. AG
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    880
  5. Ronzlo

    laptop can see Network but can't connect

    Ronzlo, Dec 8, 2009, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,974
    Jack [MVP-Networking]
    Dec 9, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page