    I'm too old 4 this.
    I HATE technology....

    , Jan 26, 2004

  2. Justin Guest

    wrote on [Sun, 25 Jan 2004 20:33:02 -0600]:
    > I knew I should have stuck with the vcr. These dvd players are too
    > complicated for old people like me.
    >
    > This is the first time I ever used a dvd. I already screwed it up, and
    > it only took 10 minutes to do it.
    > I was playing around with the controls and chose PAL/NTSC.

    So, you didn't read the manual, make an assumption that it doesn't
    matter what you do with the options, and expect everything to just work?

    > Now the picture keeps flipping so I cant see the menu, thus cant fix
    > it. How can I reset it, or is it already trash, and needs to be
    > returned to the store?

    There is probably a manual reset, but we can't know unless we know the
    make and model.

    > Maybe I should just get out the old 8MM movie
    > player and unroll the old silver movie screen. At least if the movie
    > breaks a piece of scotch tape will fix it.

    Yeah. That's the response we need. Duh, I'm an idiot, so let's use an
    idiot technology that I can wrap my unwilling to read the manual or to
    learn first brain around.

    > The manual shows this as the listed problem too, but dont say how to
    > fix it. (typical useless manual).

    Yup. You read the manual AFTER you messed around with it.

    > I'm too old 4 this.
    > I HATE technology....

    Then don't buy it!

    Justin, Jan 26, 2004

  3. Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 17:42:45 GMT, Justin <> wrote:

    > wrote on [Sun, 25 Jan 2004 20:33:02 -0600]:
    >> I knew I should have stuck with the vcr. These dvd players are too
    >> complicated for old people like me.
    >>
    >> This is the first time I ever used a dvd. I already screwed it up, and
    >> it only took 10 minutes to do it.
    >> I was playing around with the controls and chose PAL/NTSC.

    >So, you didn't read the manual, make an assumption that it doesn't
    >matter what you do with the options, and expect everything to just work?

    I hear ya...... I should leave hands off and just play the dvd's and
    not touch the remote.

    >> Now the picture keeps flipping so I cant see the menu, thus cant fix
    >> it. How can I reset it, or is it already trash, and needs to be
    >> returned to the store?

    >There is probably a manual reset, but we can't know unless we know the
    >make and model.

    After packing the whole thing to return to the store, I called
    customer service. I had to unplug it, push a series of buttons
    Xamount of times, and it was reset. Neither the website or the manual
    said anything about this. The manual is pretty crappy. It shows
    those buttons, says set it this way for this size, that way for that
    size screen, etc. No warnings or cautions, or how to reset the thing.
    I have no idea what kind of tv "size" I have????

    This is a cheap model, I dont need anything fancy, but they could at
    least put some info in the manual. For reference, this is a oritron
    model dvd3116. They have a website, but just have a PDF of the same
    manual. (www.oritronusa.com)

    Thanks

    >> Maybe I should just get out the old 8MM movie
    >> player and unroll the old silver movie screen. At least if the movie
    >> breaks a piece of scotch tape will fix it.

    >Yeah. That's the response we need. Duh, I'm an idiot, so let's use an
    >idiot technology that I can wrap my unwilling to read the manual or to
    >learn first brain around.

    I guess there is no use for scotch tape on a dvd. Might as well throw
    the tape in the trash <grin>

    >> The manual shows this as the listed problem too, but dont say how to
    >> fix it. (typical useless manual).

    >Yup. You read the manual AFTER you messed around with it.
    >

    >> I'm too old 4 this.
    >> I HATE technology....

    >Then don't buy it!

    , Jan 26, 2004
  4. Justin Guest

    wrote on [Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:20:37 -0600]:
    > On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 17:42:45 GMT, Justin <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote on [Sun, 25 Jan 2004 20:33:02 -0600]:
    >>So, you didn't read the manual, make an assumption that it doesn't
    >>matter what you do with the options, and expect everything to just work?

    > I hear ya...... I should leave hands off and just play the dvd's and
    > not touch the remote.

    Or read the manual first, and then figure out what you need to do before
    you just play around.

    > After packing the whole thing to return to the store, I called
    > customer service. I had to unplug it, push a series of buttons
    > Xamount of times, and it was reset. Neither the website or the manual
    > said anything about this. The manual is pretty crappy. It shows
    > those buttons, says set it this way for this size, that way for that
    > size screen, etc. No warnings or cautions, or how to reset the thing.
    > I have no idea what kind of tv "size" I have????
    >
    > This is a cheap model, I dont need anything fancy, but they could at
    > least put some info in the manual. For reference, this is a oritron
    > model dvd3116. They have a website, but just have a PDF of the same
    > manual. (www.oritronusa.com)

    Aaaah. Yeah. The cheap models can suck when it comes to manuals. So can
    the not so cheap.

    Justin, Jan 27, 2004
  5. Head Hunter Guest

    Just for future reference, next time you post a question, include as much
    information as possible, including make and model of whatever is having the
    problem. With your original e-mail, without knowing what kind of DVD player
    it is, no one here could have told anything past "There is probably a way to
    reset the unit, check mfrs website or search on line".

    Of course, instead of chewing you out, Justin COULD have asked for make and
    model, and you may have received specific help. Just a personal gripe. If
    you don't have an answer, suggestion, or at least a request for more info,
    don't bother to post a reply.

    Unless it's to a troll.

    Head Hunter, Jan 30, 2004
  6. Justin Guest

    Head Hunter wrote on [Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:56:26 GMT]:
    > Just for future reference, next time you post a question, include as much
    > information as possible, including make and model of whatever is having the
    > problem. With your original e-mail, without knowing what kind of DVD player
    > it is, no one here could have told anything past "There is probably a way to
    > reset the unit, check mfrs website or search on line".
    >
    > Of course, instead of chewing you out, Justin COULD have asked for make and
    > model, and you may have received specific help. Just a personal gripe. If
    > you don't have an answer, suggestion, or at least a request for more info,
    > don't bother to post a reply.

    I did ask for make and model, and responded in a very similar tone to
    what the OP used when asking his questions.

    One overreaction to another ;)

    Justin, Jan 30, 2004
  7. hnwaxman

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2010
    Messages:
    2
    []On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 17:42:45 GMT, Justin <> wrote:

    After packing the whole thing to return to the store, I called
    customer service. I had to unplug it, push a series of buttons
    Xamount of times, and it was reset. Neither the website or the manual
    said anything about this.

    I've been searching all over for these instructions - factory reset for Oritron 3116. Can anyone help? Got it as a gift several years ago and can't find mfgr. website.

    hnwaxman, Dec 31, 2010