    Does anyone have any ideas what would cause this and how to fix it?
    TIA
    Badger
    Badger, Jan 25, 2006

  2. Badger

    John Inzer Guest

    Badger wrote:
    > My wife has an Acer laptop running XP with SP2. For some
    > unknown reason she cannot access the Desktop tab in
    > display properties. The tab is there but doesn't do
    > anything. For example if she has clicked the Screensaver
    > tab and then clicks the Desktop tab, it stays on the
    > screensaver settings and it's the same no matter what tab
    > she wants to move from, the Desktop tab just doesn't
    > activate the Desktop settings.
    > I have googled for an answer to this and while there are
    > loads of references to the Desktop tab disappearing
    > altogether (and I have tried all the fixes for this to no
    > avail), I can't find any mention of my wife's problem at
    > all. Does anyone have any ideas what would cause this and
    > how to fix it?
    > TIA
    > Badger

    ================================
    Maybe this is worth a try:

    go to...Start / Run and type:

    "REGSVR32 SHIMGVW.DLL"
    (without the quotes)(Yes, there's
    a space between 2 and S)

    Click...OK.

    A dialog box should report the following:

    "DllRegisterServer in SHIMGVW.DLL succeeded"

    --

    John Inzer
    John Inzer, Jan 25, 2006

  3. Badger

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Cut and paste everything between the lines and paste it into notepad. Save
    the file as desktop.reg and save it to the desktop. make sure you change the
    save as type.... drop down box to all files. Once saved double click on the
    file to merge it into the registry. Reboot.

    Begin cut below this line

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    "Shell"="Explorer.exe"

    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StreamsMRU]

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoToolbarsOnTaskbar"=dword:00000000

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoSetTaskbar"=dword:00000000

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoActiveDesktop"=dword:00000000

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "ClassicShell"=dword:00000000

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer
    Bars\{32683183-48a0-441b-a342-7c2a440a9478}]
    @="Media Band"
    "BarSize"=-

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoBandCustomize"=dword:00000000
    "NoMovingBands"=dword:00000000
    "NoCloseDragDropBands"=dword:00000000
    "NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000
    "NoSetTaskbar"=dword:00000000
    "NoToolbarsOnTaskbar"=dword:00000000

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy
    Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoMovingBands"=dword:00000000
    "NoCloseDragDropBands"=dword:00000000
    "**del.NoMovingBands"=" "

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy
    Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy
    Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "**del.NoSaveSettings"=" "

    End cut above this line

    pcbutts1, Jan 26, 2006
  4. Badger

    Badger Guest

    JI> Badger wrote:
    ??>> My wife has an Acer laptop running XP with SP2. For some
    ??>> unknown reason she cannot access the Desktop tab in
    ??>> display properties. The tab is there but doesn't do
    ??>> anything. For example if she has clicked the Screensaver
    ??>> tab and then clicks the Desktop tab, it stays on the
    ??>> screensaver settings and it's the same no matter what tab
    ??>> she wants to move from, the Desktop tab just doesn't
    ??>> activate the Desktop settings.
    ??>> I have googled for an answer to this and while there are
    ??>> loads of references to the Desktop tab disappearing
    ??>> altogether (and I have tried all the fixes for this to no
    ??>> avail), I can't find any mention of my wife's problem at
    ??>> all. Does anyone have any ideas what would cause this and
    ??>> how to fix it?
    ??>> TIA
    ??>> Badger

    Hello, John!
    You wrote on Wed, 25 Jan 2006 18:41:34 -0500:
    JI> ================================
    JI> Maybe this is worth a try:

    JI> go to...Start / Run and type:

    JI> "REGSVR32 SHIMGVW.DLL"
    JI> (without the quotes)(Yes, there's
    JI> a space between 2 and S)

    JI> Click...OK.

    JI> A dialog box should report the following:

    JI> "DllRegisterServer in SHIMGVW.DLL succeeded"

    Thank you very much John. I'll try it.
    Badger
    Badger, Jan 26, 2006
  5. Badger

    Badger Guest

    Hello, pcbutts1!
    You wrote on Wed, 25 Jan 2006 19:47:13 -0800:

    p> Begin cut below this line
    p> ========================================================================

    p> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    p> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    p> NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon] "Shell"="Explorer.exe"

    p> [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\S
    p> tuckRects2]
    p> [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\S
    p> treams]
    p> [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\S
    p> treamsMRU]

    p> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ex
    p> plorer] "NoToolbarsOnTaskbar"=dword:00000000

    p> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ex
    p> plorer] "NoSetTaskbar"=dword:00000000

    p> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ex
    p> plorer] "NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

    p> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ex
    p> plorer] "NoActiveDesktop"=dword:00000000

    p> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ex
    p> plorer] "ClassicShell"=dword:00000000

    p> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer
    p> Bars\{32683183-48a0-441b-a342-7c2a440a9478}]
    p> @="Media Band"
    p> "BarSize"=-

    p> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ex
    p> plorer] "NoBandCustomize"=dword:00000000
    p> "NoMovingBands"=dword:00000000
    p> "NoCloseDragDropBands"=dword:00000000
    p> "NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000
    p> "NoSetTaskbar"=dword:00000000
    p> "NoToolbarsOnTaskbar"=dword:00000000

    p> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group
    p> Policy
    p> Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Exp
    p> lorer] "NoMovingBands"=dword:00000000
    p> "NoCloseDragDropBands"=dword:00000000
    p> "**del.NoMovingBands"=" "

    p> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ex
    p> plorer] "NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

    p> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group
    p> Policy
    p> Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Exp
    p> lorer] "NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

    p> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group
    p> Policy
    p> Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Exp
    p> lorer] "**del.NoSaveSettings"=" "

    p> ========================================================================
    p> End cut above this line

    Thank you very much. I'll try it.
    Badger.
    Badger, Jan 26, 2006
  6. Badger

    Badger Guest

    B> My wife has an Acer laptop running XP with SP2. For some unknown reason
    B> she cannot access the Desktop tab in display properties. The tab is
    B> there but doesn't do anything. For example if she has clicked the
    B> Screensaver tab and then clicks the Desktop tab, it stays on the
    B> screensaver settings and it's the same no matter what tab she wants to
    B> move from, the Desktop tab just doesn't activate the Desktop settings.
    B> I have googled for an answer to this and while there are loads of
    B> references to the Desktop tab disappearing altogether (and I have tried
    B> all the fixes for this to no avail), I can't find any mention of my
    B> wife's problem at all. Does anyone have any ideas what would cause this
    B> and how to fix it? TIA
    B> Badger

    Thankyou for the replies. As you were. My wife has just informed me that she
    tried it again last night and it worked! Only God and Bill Gates know why!
    Badger
    Badger, Jan 26, 2006