    but nothing will fix it. What can I do? Should I just uninstall and
    reinstall IE?

    , Sep 20, 2006

  2. AnonyMouse Guest

    wrote:
    > I have a XP PC and I set the home page for IE long ago. Now I want to
    > change it, but when I do, it won't take the change. I restart IE, and
    > the page is set to what it was, it just won't accept it. I've cleared
    > the cache and cookies,etc, scanned for adware and spyware and viruses,
    > but nothing will fix it. What can I do? Should I just uninstall and
    > reinstall IE?

    Is your antispyware program set to keep the home page from being
    changed? I know that sometimes they will do that to protect against
    browser hijackers.

    AnonyMouse, Sep 20, 2006

  3. richard Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I have a XP PC and I set the home page for IE long ago. Now I want to
    > change it, but when I do, it won't take the change. I restart IE, and
    > the page is set to what it was, it just won't accept it. I've cleared
    > the cache and cookies,etc, scanned for adware and spyware and viruses,
    > but nothing will fix it. What can I do? Should I just uninstall and
    > reinstall IE?

    What's the homepage name?
    Might want to open the registry and search for it. Then delete all entries
    regarding the site.
    Somewhere along the way you got hijacked and the site won't go away until
    you eliminate the registry entries.
    I've had to do it a few times.

    Have you done the routine of going into options and changing the home page
    that way?
    If it still won't change, it's a registry item.

    richard, Sep 20, 2006
  4. Stickems. Guest

    Update your firewall and anti virus programs.

    Stickems., Sep 20, 2006
  5. Au79 Guest

    wrote:

    > I have a XP PC and I set the home page for IE long ago. Now I want to
    > change it, but when I do, it won't take the change. I restart IE, and
    > the page is set to what it was, it just won't accept it. I've cleared
    > the cache and cookies,etc, scanned for adware and spyware and viruses,
    > but nothing will fix it. What can I do? Should I just uninstall and
    > reinstall IE?

    Switch to Firefox or Opera for your browsing needs. IE is a magnet for
    spyware, trojans, viruses, and other malware... and it doesn't work very
    well.

    http://free.thelinuxstore.ca/

    Au79, Sep 21, 2006
  6. Fuzzy Logic Guest

    Au79 <> wrote in news:6WnQg.6$:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> I have a XP PC and I set the home page for IE long ago. Now I want to
    >> change it, but when I do, it won't take the change. I restart IE, and
    >> the page is set to what it was, it just won't accept it. I've cleared
    >> the cache and cookies,etc, scanned for adware and spyware and viruses,
    >> but nothing will fix it. What can I do? Should I just uninstall and
    >> reinstall IE?

    > Switch to Firefox or Opera for your browsing needs. IE is a magnet for
    > spyware, trojans, viruses, and other malware... and it doesn't work very
    > well.

    Switching will only get you different problems. There have been recent security updates for both Firefox and
    Opera. Here is an interesting read:

    http://news.com.com/2102-7355_3-6117896.html?tag=st.util.print

    Fuzzy Logic, Sep 21, 2006
  7. Fuzzy Logic wrote:

    > Au79 <> wrote in news:6WnQg.6$:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> I have a XP PC and I set the home page for IE long ago. ...

    >> Switch to Firefox or Opera for your browsing needs. IE is a magnet
    >> for spyware, trojans, viruses, and other malware... and it doesn't
    >> work very well.

    > Switching will only get you different problems. There have been
    > recent security updates for both Firefox and Opera.

    Yes, but there *were* updates!

    I posted this two days ago in another thread:

    Latest Secunia count, as of yesterday, for unpatched exploits:
    Internet Explorer: 19 <-- some from 2003
    Firefox: 3
    Opera: 0

    > Here is an interesting read:
    >
    > http://news.com.com/2102-7355_3-6117896.html?tag=st.util.print

    Would you trust a security expert named Window? <lol>

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 21, 2006
  8. Fuzzy Logic Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in news:VmCQg.196846$5i3.39174
    @bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

    > Fuzzy Logic wrote:
    >
    >> Au79 <> wrote in news:6WnQg.6$:

    >>> Switch to Firefox or Opera for your browsing needs. IE is a magnet
    >>> for spyware, trojans, viruses, and other malware... and it doesn't
    >>> work very well.

    >> Switching will only get you different problems. There have been
    >> recent security updates for both Firefox and Opera.

    > Yes, but there *were* updates!
    >
    > I posted this two days ago in another thread:
    >
    > Latest Secunia count, as of yesterday, for unpatched exploits:
    > Internet Explorer: 19 <-- some from 2003
    > Firefox: 3
    > Opera: 0

    There are at least 2 outstanding exploits for Firefox from 2004 which are referenced here:

    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/FirefoxMyths.html

    FWIW the outstanding exploits in both of these browsers (with the exception of recent IE VML and
    DirectAnimation exploits) are for the most part inconsequential as the requirements to take advantage of them
    are so convoluted that it's pretty much impossible.

    >> Here is an interesting read:
    >>
    >> http://news.com.com/2102-7355_3-6117896.html?tag=st.util.print

    > Would you trust a security expert named Window? <lol>

    Apparently Mozilla does and she will likely have much influence on how security is handled in your browser of
    choice. I like what I have heard from her with respect to browser security.

    Fuzzy Logic, Sep 21, 2006
  9. Fuzzy Logic wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Fuzzy Logic wrote:
    >>> Switching will only get you different problems. There have been
    >>> recent security updates for both Firefox and Opera.

    >> Yes, but there *were* updates!
    >>
    >> I posted this two days ago in another thread:
    >>
    >> Latest Secunia count, as of yesterday, for unpatched exploits:
    >> Internet Explorer: 19 <-- some from 2003
    >> Firefox: 3
    >> Opera: 0

    > There are at least 2 outstanding exploits for Firefox from 2004 which

    Right. I said there were 3 altogether.

    > are referenced here:
    >
    > http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/FirefoxMyths.html

    ...and listed here, the last two on the list:
    <http://secunia.com/product/4227/?task=advisories>

    Contrast that with Opera, with zero unpatched:
    http://secunia.com/product/10615/?task=advisories ver. 9
    http://secunia.com/product/4932/?task=advisories ver. 8

    and Internet Explorer 6, still with 19 unpatched:
    http://secunia.com/product/11/?task=advisories

    > FWIW the outstanding exploits in both of these browsers (with the
    > exception of recent IE VML and DirectAnimation exploits) are for the
    > most part inconsequential as the requirements to take advantage of
    > them are so convoluted that it's pretty much impossible.

    Agreed.

    >>> Here is an interesting read:
    >>>
    >>> http://news.com.com/2102-7355_3-6117896.html?tag=st.util.print

    >> Would you trust a security expert named Window? <lol>

    > Apparently Mozilla does and she will likely have much influence on
    > how security is handled in your browser of choice.

    She has something to do with Opera? <g>

    > I like what I have heard from her with respect to browser security.

    I remain non-committal.

    About that FirefoxMyths page. It needs to be corrected. For one, the
    section on Security states:

    Secunia - lists (132) security vulnerabilities in Firefox,
    (85) rated Highly Critical. - Source

    ...and the hotlink takes you to the Secunia page which plainly states:

    36 Secunia Advisories in 2003-2006

    So why does the Myths page tell a lie? There are some other (several)
    items there that are dubious as well. I have never been able to figure
    out the motivation behind that page.

    Like: Myth - "Firefox is Bug Free" - Example
    which links to a statement some guy made on a *petlovers* forum.
    Oh, for &deitys; sake! How childish!

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 22, 2006
  10. Fuzzy Logic Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in news:S4GQg.87089$QM6.66651
    @bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

    > Fuzzy Logic wrote:
    >
    >> http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/FirefoxMyths.html

    > About that FirefoxMyths page. It needs to be corrected. For one, the
    > section on Security states:
    >
    > Secunia - lists (132) security vulnerabilities in Firefox,
    > (85) rated Highly Critical. - Source
    >
    > ..and the hotlink takes you to the Secunia page which plainly states:

    At least there are links!!! People often make statements with no support. FWIW the other two links (Mozilla itself
    and CVE) appear to be correct.

    > 36 Secunia Advisories in 2003-2006
    >
    > So why does the Myths page tell a lie? There are some other (several)
    > items there that are dubious as well. I have never been able to figure
    > out the motivation behind that page.
    >
    > Like: Myth - "Firefox is Bug Free" - Example
    > which links to a statement some guy made on a *petlovers* forum.
    > Oh, for &deitys; sake! How childish!

    No software is bug free so I'm not sure why you would even need a reference.

    The page makes some valid points. I would suggest you contact the author if you have issues with the
    statements.

    Fuzzy Logic, Sep 22, 2006
  11. Fuzzy Logic wrote:

    > No software is bug free so I'm not sure why

    [they]
    > would even need a reference.

    I remember an old adage about coding.
    "A programmer can write ten bug-free lines of code per day."
    Write a dozen lines? One bug... two? ;-)

    > The page makes some valid points. I would suggest you contact the
    > author if you have issues with the statements.

    Do you think the author would change the page if I wrote?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 22, 2006
  12. Guest

    > What's the homepage name?

    It's a domain that's expired.

    > Might want to open the registry and search for it. Then delete all entries
    > regarding the site.

    I've done that, but still no change.

    I can change it under the Admin login, but it won't change for the User
    log in. I also noticed I can't run msconfig as the User, but on my
    other PCs I can, so I'm wondering now if it's just some sort of
    permissions in the Local Security Policy or something like that. If
    that fails I guess I may just need to unistall and reinstall IE. I've
    done it before and I know it's not fun. I wish there were simpler
    solution.

    > Somewhere along the way you got hijacked and the site won't go away until
    > you eliminate the registry entries.
    > I've had to do it a few times.
    >
    > Have you done the routine of going into options and changing the home page
    > that way?
    > If it still won't change, it's a registry item.

    , Sep 22, 2006