    know if anybody had any input or ideas.

    Thanks,
    --Dan
    dg, Mar 15, 2005

  2. dg

    Rick Merrill Guest

    dg wrote:
    > Here is an odd one. I signed up with Vonage. So far so good, I have no
    > complaints about Vonage. However, if I try to call my IP phone using my
    > cell phone I get an error message saying "Welcome to US cellular, message
    > EU-32 check your number and dial again". This happens only in the US
    > cellular covered area.
    >
    > The odd thing is, if I go to work where I am "ROAMING" I can call home with
    > no problem. Odd isn't it? So far I have gotten nowhere with the US
    > cellular folks, and I am pretty sure this is THEIR problem but I wanted to
    > know if anybody had any input or ideas.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --Dan

    Just an idea that I have heard: some cell phones use a compression
    algorithm and some IP services use a compression/decompression and some
    of these combinations do not work well together. It may be that the
    error message detects this sub optimal incompatibility and craps out!
    Rick Merrill, Mar 15, 2005

  3. dg

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    dg <> wrote:
    > Here is an odd one. I signed up with Vonage. So far so good, I have no
    > complaints about Vonage. However, if I try to call my IP phone using my
    > cell phone I get an error message saying "Welcome to US cellular, message
    > EU-32 check your number and dial again". This happens only in the US
    > cellular covered area.

    Did you get a new number when you signed up for Vonage? Maybe it's a
    freshly-allocated exchange that your cell phone company doesn't have in its
    routing tables yet. You should tell Vonage as they have people who deal with
    that sort of thing.

    miguel
    --
    Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
    Latest photos: Malaysia, Israel, Palestine, Austria, Thailand
    Miguel Cruz, Mar 15, 2005
  4. dg

    dg Guest

    "Miguel Cruz" <> wrote in message
    > Did you get a new number when you signed up for Vonage? Maybe it's a
    > freshly-allocated exchange that your cell phone company doesn't have in
    > its
    > routing tables yet. You should tell Vonage as they have people who deal
    > with
    > that sort of thing.
    >
    > miguel

    Yes, it is a new number. I have emailed both US cellular and Vonage. Your
    description sounds like a good possibility.

    Thanks,
    --Dan
    dg, Mar 15, 2005
  5. dg

    Jon Wang Guest

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:51:59 -0600, (Miguel Cruz)
    wrote:

    >dg <> wrote:
    >> Here is an odd one. I signed up with Vonage. So far so good, I have no
    >> complaints about Vonage. However, if I try to call my IP phone using my
    >> cell phone I get an error message saying "Welcome to US cellular, message
    >> EU-32 check your number and dial again". This happens only in the US
    >> cellular covered area.

    >Did you get a new number when you signed up for Vonage? Maybe it's a
    >freshly-allocated exchange that your cell phone company doesn't have in its
    >routing tables yet. You should tell Vonage as they have people who deal with
    >that sort of thing.
    >
    >miguel

    I think Miguel is on the right track. I was going to ask you if you
    had ported the Vonage number, but it sounds like you didn't--just a
    new number.

    Forget about that compression stuff suggestion by someone else.
    that's not causing your problem.

    Also, since I don't know if the market (city) that you're in has 7
    digit *local* dialing, but if they do, try dialing it use all 10
    digits (NPA-NXX-XXXX). Again, that would also get back to a routing
    issue in the MSC translations. You didn't mention if the new VoIp
    number can be dialed from a local landline w/o any probs?

    Another thing...This paragraph is more of an FYI b/c I have another
    provider, but also did 'evaluate' Vonage. With VoicePulse, if you've
    enabled any of the "follow-me" features on the VoIP number that
    include your cellphone as a simultaneous ring, you may be unable to
    reach your VoIP # from the cell. Even if you did, that *should*
    still work, but it would go to your cellular VMail. The problem in
    this case is encountered when you're trying to hit your voip # from
    the cell, and you get your cell VM. I just wanted to mention that.

    Keep us posted as to the outcome.

    Jon
    Jon Wang, Mar 16, 2005
  6. dg

    dg Guest

    "Jon Wang" <> wrote in message

    > Keep us posted as to the outcome.
    >
    > Jon

    I too agree that the problem is most likely the freshly allocated exchange.
    The reason being, I can call the IP phone using a landline, I can also call
    it if I am ROAMING on my cell phone but never withing US cellular territory.
    So, yesterday I went down to US Cellular and told them about the problem but
    didn't mention wht I thought the problem was. I was fortunate to talk to
    their tech who is apparently pretty sharp because the first thing out of his
    mouth was "is this a new prefix?" I told him yes, but didn't dare mention
    it was an IP phone as I didn't want him pointing fingers at somebody else.
    So, according to the tech the problem should be solved by Tuesday. It is SO
    refreshing to talk to a technician who is actually good at what he does.

    Thanks for all of your help, otherwise this could have taken a LOT longer!

    THANKS!
    --Dan
    dg, Mar 17, 2005
  7. dg

    Isaac Guest

    dg wrote:
    > Here is an odd one. I signed up with Vonage. So far so good, I have no
    > complaints about Vonage. However, if I try to call my IP phone using my
    > cell phone I get an error message saying "Welcome to US cellular, message
    > EU-32 check your number and dial again". This happens only in the US
    > cellular covered area.
    >
    > The odd thing is, if I go to work where I am "ROAMING" I can call home with
    > no problem. Odd isn't it? So far I have gotten nowhere with the US
    > cellular folks, and I am pretty sure this is THEIR problem but I wanted to
    > know if anybody had any input or ideas.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --Dan

    I had this problem before.....tell your provider to perform a "LERGE"....
    Isaac, Mar 21, 2005