    the drive clean?
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Feb 9, 2007

  2. JTJersey

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <NDSyh.2661$>, JTJersey
    <> writes
    >Got a call from a friend who had just gotten off the phone with Gateway
    >and Dell reps. He needs a new laptop, but wants to stay with XP. No way,
    >he's been told, you get Vista. He already knows that the CAD program he
    >uses won't work with Vista. Both company reps refused to consider
    >reimbursing for Vista or providing a laptop with no OS installed. What
    >can I suggest to the guy? Spend another $150 for an OEM XP Pro and wipe
    >the drive clean?

    Sod Dell.. There are quite a few other makers out there.....
    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Feb 9, 2007

  3. JTJersey

    Pen Guest

    JTJersey wrote:
    > Got a call from a friend who had just gotten off the phone with Gateway
    > and Dell reps. He needs a new laptop, but wants to stay with XP. No way,
    > he's been told, you get Vista. He already knows that the CAD program he
    > uses won't work with Vista. Both company reps refused to consider
    > reimbursing for Vista or providing a laptop with no OS installed. What
    > can I suggest to the guy? Spend another $150 for an OEM XP Pro and wipe
    > the drive clean?

    Have him look at the Dell Latitudes, which are available with either XP
    or Vista. The small business site lists them.
    Pen, Feb 9, 2007
  4. JTJersey

    babaloo Guest

    This is already a problem with desktops as well. There are many, many
    commercial programs that do not and will not ever run on Vista. This
    includes many common consumer programs for video editing and DVD authoring.
    For business uses, like that CAD program, there are thousands of custom and
    niche programs that are specific to XP, many having only recently made the
    transition to XP from earlier versions of Windows. Add to that the startling
    lack of driver support from most peripheral manufacturers, including
    consumer producers like Epson, Canon et al, and Vista is really more of a
    problem than a viable operating system.
    Microsoft took five years to get Vista out and did not use its clout, or
    perhaps lacks the clout, to get other manufacturers to support the new
    Microsoft cash cow.
    Microsoft is not a well managed company: it simply careens from one
    regulatory law suit to another because it is so big it can afford the waste.
    I have it and cannot use Vista as my less than one year old peripherals have
    NO Vista drivers and no commitements from the manufacturers of when or even
    if they are planning on Vista drivers.
    If you don't believe it check the Epson site for support for their R1800
    printer, one of their highest end products. For products that Epson does not
    plan to write a Vista driver, which seems to include much that is one or
    more product cycles old--which could be less than 12 months, the site
    states "Vista does not support" that product when the truth is Epson does
    not support that product.
    babaloo, Feb 9, 2007
  5. JTJersey

    Travis Guest

    Buy the laptop with vista, format the hard drive and install XP.
    Simple

    Travis, Feb 20, 2007
  6. JTJersey

    Alex Clayton Guest

    > On Feb 9, 3:41 pm, "babaloo" <> wrote:
    >> This is already a problem with desktops as well. There are many, many
    >> commercial programs that do not and will not ever run on Vista.

    <whining snipped>
    There are a couple easy solutions. You can whine, cry, throw yourself on
    the floor and kick your feet, call your Mommy and cry, or buy the new
    computer and put XP on it. MS will still offer support for XP for many
    years. By the time they stop offering the support for XP the programs you
    are so worried about will either be offering versions / drivers for Vista or
    they will be obsolete. Or you can buy a Mac if the programs you want will
    run on them. Dry you eye's, leave Mom and Dad alone and learn to grow up and
    join the rest of the world.
    --
    Stupidity should be painful
    Alex Clayton, Feb 20, 2007