    Could anyone suggest what could be the problem.
    Thanks,
    Amit Mahajan

    =?Utf-8?B?QW1pdCBNYWhhamFu?=, Jul 6, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QW1pdCBNYWhhamFu?=

    Rich Guest

    On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 04:30:02 -0700, Amit Mahajan
    <> wrote:

    >I've a peculiar problem. I am using Dell Latitude D600 for the last 3 years.
    >This has Intel Pro Wireless 2100 b Wireless Network Card, which I've been
    >using successfully for the last 3 years. I connect to my office router
    >Netgear WPN824 and this is connected to Broadband, (not the internet port)
    >this just connects to my existing network & in the main server room, the
    >broadband router is connected to the switch.
    >Now, for the last few days, I connect to the internet and check my mails on
    >Outlook Express, and if I don't use the Internet for some hours, and come
    >bacck to my desk to use it again, I get the Page Not Found, and in the
    >Outlook Express, it gives error, that it can't find the DNS server. In the
    >dos promt, I try ping to www.google.com, it can ping, but nothing else works.
    >I've to re-start the computer everytime this happens and then everything
    >works fine.
    >Could anyone suggest what could be the problem.
    >Thanks,
    >Amit Mahajan

    are you using a software firewall like ZoneAlarm? are you using a
    screen saver?

    73,
    rich, n9dko

    Rich, Jul 6, 2006

  3. "Amit Mahajan" <> wrote in message
    > I've a peculiar problem. I am using Dell Latitude D600 for the last 3
    > years.
    > This has Intel Pro Wireless 2100 b Wireless Network Card, which I've been
    > using successfully for the last 3 years. I connect to my office router
    > Netgear WPN824 and this is connected to Broadband, (not the internet port)
    > this just connects to my existing network & in the main server room, the
    > broadband router is connected to the switch.
    > Now, for the last few days, I connect to the internet and check my mails
    > on
    > Outlook Express, and if I don't use the Internet for some hours, and come
    > bacck to my desk to use it again, I get the Page Not Found, and in the
    > Outlook Express, it gives error, that it can't find the DNS server. In the
    > dos promt, I try ping to www.google.com, it can ping, but nothing else
    > works.
    > I've to re-start the computer everytime this happens and then everything
    > works fine.
    > Could anyone suggest what could be the problem.
    > Thanks,
    > Amit Mahajan

    A third party firewall can cause this - Zone Alarm, for example, is well
    known to do this, has had the problem reported years ago and they have yet
    to fix it. So are you using a firewall other than the Microsoft one?

    Are you allowing the wi-fi NIC to power down? If so, go to the properties of
    the NIC and then the power tab and take the tick out so it cant.

    Do you use hibernate or stand by? If so, turn them off.

    Lastly, if none of the above, please let us know more details of your
    computer. Another thing - you don't have to reboot the computer more than
    likely. Try going to Control Panel then Network Connections, right click on
    the wi-fi NIC and choose REPAIR. This is normally all you have to do in your
    situation.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Jul 6, 2006
  4. Thanks for the response. Am not using any external software firewall. Am
    using the in-biult WinXP firewall.

    =?Utf-8?B?QW1pdCBNYWhhamFu?=, Jul 7, 2006
  5. Thanks for the response. Am not using 3rd party firewall. Am using the
    in-built WinXP firewall.

    The NIC is on always ON in the power settings, and am using the profile
    Always ON, No Hibernation, No Stand By.

    My Labtop is Dell D600, Centrino 1.4 Ghz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, 10/100/1000
    Network, Modem, Intel 2100 b Wireless, DVD/CDRW Combo, WinXP SP2.

    Am doing the Repair for the wireless card and will let you know the details.

    Thanks for the help.

    =?Utf-8?B?QW1pdCBNYWhhamFu?=, Jul 7, 2006