    choice!

    I did sign up for M$ Second Shot deal. Now I'm wondering if I'll even
    bother with it. I doubt even the Sybex book would help.
    Reuben, Nov 30, 2007

  2. Reuben wrote:
    > Well, I took 70-272 for the third time and come up short w/a 651. Even used
    > Transcender this time! What the hell is going wrong here? Obviously, I
    > still do NOT do well on multiple choice and multiple answer exams.
    >
    > Failing by a large margin (over 100 points) is one thing, but coming within
    > one, two or three of passing is very frustrating.
    >
    > Sure you need hands on experience, which I do have, but if this exam really
    > reflected one's experience, this exam would be "hands on" versus multiple
    > choice!
    >
    > I did sign up for M$ Second Shot deal. Now I'm wondering if I'll even
    > bother with it. I doubt even the Sybex book would help.

    I definitely understand your frustration - BTDT - but don't give up.
    You'll pass, just study hard and try to find things that you don't know.
    I know when I read a study guide, I sometimes get frustrated because
    there is so much in the book that I DO know, and I think I start
    skimming and end up skipping something that I needed to understand better.

    Good luck,
    MG
    Mostly Gizzards, Nov 30, 2007

  3. Reuben

    Reuben Guest

    On the 70-272 exam, I did extremely well on the "Resolving Isues Related To
    Usability" and "Configuring and Troubleshooting for Network Connectivity of
    Applications" sections. I did extremely awful on the section known as
    "Resolving Issues Related to Application Customization. Also dropped
    compared to last time (April 2007) in the section known as "Configuring
    Applicatio Security".

    Will definitely need to much more lab work. Even got a copy of the Sybex
    book just to see if the subject matter is presented better or differently. I
    will use the "Second Shot " from M$ First I need to get past the CCNA 1 exam
    since I am in the Cisco Networking Academy at a local community college.
    Also, I need to find some work. I really could use the $$$ here at Christmas
    time.

    I really need to do a much better job of reading the questions, use up
    almost all my alotted time for the exam (I usually finish up the exam with
    about 5-10 minutes left.. I really do NOT do well on multiple choce and
    multiple answer questions. I remember one time in college a psychology
    instructor tried to offer me all-essay exams since I did awful on multiple
    chose and multiple answer exams (but she did like my essays). I turned her
    down since I did NOT want any special treatment. I do sort out all the bogus
    answers on these cert exams but I do have a REAL BAD tendency of changing
    answers during these exams. I guess I can't trust my first or my second
    instincts!

    Anyway, I will take the exam on Tuesday, 1/28/08 at another location (a pool
    hall or bar was much quiet than where I took it last time -- stay away from
    AIT Acclaim if you are near the Fayetteville, NC area!). I am hoping I can
    finally put this exam behind me and move on to "other things."
    Reuben, Dec 3, 2007
  4. Reuben

    TheITGirl Guest

    "Reuben" <> wrote in message
    > On the 70-272 exam, I did extremely well on the "Resolving Isues Related
    > Usability" and "Configuring and Troubleshooting for Network Connectivity
    > of
    > Applications" sections. I did extremely awful on the section known as
    > "Resolving Issues Related to Application Customization. Also dropped
    > compared to last time (April 2007) in the section known as "Configuring
    > Applicatio Security".
    >
    > Will definitely need to much more lab work. Even got a copy of the Sybex
    > book just to see if the subject matter is presented better or differently.
    > will use the "Second Shot " from M$ First I need to get past the CCNA 1
    > exam
    > since I am in the Cisco Networking Academy at a local community college.
    > Also, I need to find some work. I really could use the $$$ here at
    > Christmas
    > time.
    >
    > I really need to do a much better job of reading the questions, use up
    > almost all my alotted time for the exam (I usually finish up the exam with
    > about 5-10 minutes left.. I really do NOT do well on multiple choce and
    > multiple answer questions. I remember one time in college a psychology
    > instructor tried to offer me all-essay exams since I did awful on multiple
    > chose and multiple answer exams (but she did like my essays). I turned
    > her
    > down since I did NOT want any special treatment. I do sort out all the
    > bogus
    > answers on these cert exams but I do have a REAL BAD tendency of changing
    > answers during these exams. I guess I can't trust my first or my second
    > instincts!
    >
    > Anyway, I will take the exam on Tuesday, 1/28/08 at another location (a
    > pool
    > hall or bar was much quiet than where I took it last time -- stay away
    > from
    > AIT Acclaim if you are near the Fayetteville, NC area!). I am hoping I
    > can
    > finally put this exam behind me and move on to "other things."

    Hello Reuben

    I'm sorry you're finding the 272 such a hard nut to crack. I found this
    more difficult than the 271, and I troubleshoot MS Office documents all the
    time!

    You don't really have to know how to create complex documents in Office
    (though I have seen the odd question on Excel formulae crop up in practice
    exams), but you do have to know how to customise menus, toolbars, keyboard
    shortcuts etc., so you should concentrate on this. You will need to know
    the Office Customise and Options dialog boxes inside and out.

    You will also need to learn the different levels of macro security, and the
    options for protecting and securing documents available both under the Tools
    > Protect Document menu option and the Security Tab of the Options dialog

    box.

    All the best for the 28th January.

    IT Girl MCDST
    TheITGirl, Dec 4, 2007
  5. Reuben

    larifari33 Guest

    Never give up and try on your pc everything what you read this helps me very
    much.

    The first exam which I took in June I missed. Then I took two weeks ago
    another exam.

    In my first exam I didn't take any tesking for preparation which you
    defenetly need.

    I read a book, check on microsoft techchannel if I don't understand the
    query. You should be familiar with Office product, especially Outlook
    Express. You should know every tab in IE and all the options.

    Go through the book and mark which part you aren't familiar with it. Read it
    again and try it out on your pc.

    larifari33, Dec 4, 2007
  6. Reuben

    RemoteShark Guest

    There seems to be an amount of desperation here as opposed to passion. If you
    dont know the stuff, it will tell you at the end of the exam. As hard it may
    seem, the electives are very thorough and they do test your knowledge. It
    makes it hard because just getting a job with a paper MCP, doesnt classify as
    a real MCP to me. i have worked long and hard hours as a tech and I am damned
    if I knew that paper tech got the same honor as those who work there ass off
    passionately. If you haven't got what it takes, leave it. Learn by doing and
    then come back in 6 months/1 year. The exams will still be there over the
    next 2 to 3 years. There is no rush. If you are willing to be passionate
    about tech/it, then get the experience you need first, then come back and
    tackle the material. That way, you can be sure to pass. Otherwise you are
    wasting your time in desperation and who wants to be a paper MCP. The same
    goes for medical doctors. I'd hate to be operated by a guy who just read a
    book, downloaded some samples from the internet and got 'stuck right in'.
    There has to be a difference between those who have it and those who dont.
    but I am not saying 'give up'... I am saying take it easy, it will come.. but
    not now.

    RemoteShark MCP

    RemoteShark, Dec 5, 2007
  7. Reuben

    TheITGirl Guest

    "RemoteShark" <> wrote in message
    > There seems to be an amount of desperation here as opposed to passion. If
    > you
    > dont know the stuff, it will tell you at the end of the exam. As hard it
    > may
    > seem, the electives are very thorough and they do test your knowledge. It
    > makes it hard because just getting a job with a paper MCP, doesnt classify
    > as
    > a real MCP to me. i have worked long and hard hours as a tech and I am
    > damned
    > if I knew that paper tech got the same honor as those who work there ass
    > off
    > passionately. If you haven't got what it takes, leave it. Learn by doing
    > and
    > then come back in 6 months/1 year. The exams will still be there over the
    > next 2 to 3 years. There is no rush. If you are willing to be passionate
    > about tech/it, then get the experience you need first, then come back and
    > tackle the material. That way, you can be sure to pass. Otherwise you are
    > wasting your time in desperation and who wants to be a paper MCP. The same
    > goes for medical doctors. I'd hate to be operated by a guy who just read a
    > book, downloaded some samples from the internet and got 'stuck right in'.
    > There has to be a difference between those who have it and those who dont.
    > but I am not saying 'give up'... I am saying take it easy, it will come..
    > but
    > not now.
    >
    > RemoteShark MCP

    I share your disdain for paper MCPs, but I don't think this really applies
    to the OP (perhaps your comment was directed at another poster to this
    thread, who has admitted to using Test King on his second attempt).

    The OP says he has hands-on experience, but perhaps not enough with
    **customising** MS Office programs. I had to do some practice in this area,
    because as my Office experience is mainly in putting right documents that
    have been messed up due to inexperienced users trying to use tables, styles
    etc.

    You are right to advise the OP to take it easy, though, and only take the
    exam when he's ready. There's no race, and if you take 2 years to get your
    MCDST, then at least you'll eventually be able to say on your CV that your
    an MCDST with 2 years' experience. I probably take it a lot easier than
    most (it took me almost 9 months to get my 70-270), but I find the prospect
    of losing £88 sterling if I screw up just too scary!

    All the best

    IT Girl MCDST
    TheITGirl, Dec 5, 2007
  8. Reuben

    Reuben Guest

    Been working in IT for 14 years now. I am already a MCP since I did pass
    70-271. Didn't need any help with that exam.

    Most of my work has been as a hardware tech, but I have done deskside
    support work. I've seen the sheet given at the end of the exam displaying
    strengths and weakness. I will confess that IE, OE and Office are my weak
    spots. I am missing the 700 point mark by two or three questions. I
    probably passed the exam before I started changing answers (recently when I
    took it as well as the time I took it before in April).

    These days, I am looking to get back working on a regular basis instead of
    contract/project work, and I feel that having that MCDST cert may be the
    "extra thing" I need to get in the door somewhere. Right now, it seems like
    Exam 70-272 is standing in the way beween me and the door. Three close
    scores and not "getting over the bar" is frustrating.
    Reuben, Dec 5, 2007
  9. Reuben

    Reuben Guest

    Now that I look through these posts again, I am still wondering what the hell
    is an "OP"?

    Three close to passing scores. I'm still not giving up and I will use that
    "Second Shot" deal from M$.

    Lord, I am getting too upset about this!
    Reuben, Dec 8, 2007
  10. Reuben

    TheITGirl Guest

    "Reuben" <> wrote in message
    > Now that I look through these posts again, I am still wondering what the
    > hell
    > is an "OP"?
    >
    > Three close to passing scores. I'm still not giving up and I will use
    > that
    > "Second Shot" deal from M$.
    >
    > Lord, I am getting too upset about this!

    OP = Original Poster

    You CAN do it, Reuben. You are only failing by one or two questions. Do
    take a good look at the Customize dialog box, because you are likely to get
    lots of questions on customising toolbars etc. in Office applications (even
    though, in practice, many companies lock these down).

    IT Girl MCDST
    TheITGirl, Dec 8, 2007
  11. Reuben

    Dhar Guest

    Hang in there Reuban..you'll get it. I just passed the 70-272 earning my
    MCDST. What I found helpful as going through test questions, is not only
    knowing the right answer but why it its the right answer. Then why the other
    answers are wrong. The ones I missed I reread that section in the book. Then
    I took notes. Now my memory isn't all that great so I would read the notes
    every morning before work maybe at noon then again in the evening. When I had
    time on a test computer I would do an exercise pertaining to what I needed to
    know or look for the check boxes they were talking about or change the
    privacy or security parameters the reset them to defaults. Once I passed the
    test prep questions with high 80's and 90's then I considered taking the
    exam. I realize all this take time however this is the method that worked for
    me. Hope this helps....Dave

    Dhar, Dec 14, 2007
  12. Reuben

    Jo Guest

    Reuben:

    I can sympathize with you. I worked 17 years as a pc tech - did a lot of pc
    repair. Now work for a bank doing desk support as well as pc tech work, so I
    know where you're coming from when you say you don't know the applications.
    I can actually relate to your frustration when you really don't use them day
    in and day out, learning every tab and window. Stay the course and you'll
    get there.

    Surprisingly, I did better on the 70-272 than the 70-271...it's never logical.

    Never give up, never surrender!!!
    --
    Motochick

    Jo, Dec 17, 2007
  13. JO!!! How are you?!? Things doing well???

    Microsoft Exam Security Newsgroup -

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Dec 17, 2007