Can't boot to XP 64 with drives connected to Maxtor Ultra ATA 133

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?SGFnb3A=?=, Sep 21, 2005.

  1. I am unable to boot to Windows XP 64 with drives connected to my Maxtor Ultra
    ATA 133 card. My XP 64 installation is on a SATA drive and boots fine when I
    disconnect the cables from the card, but leave the card in the system. The
    system also boots when I connect any two of my six IDE devices to the onboard
    IDE controller.

    During POST, the system correctly detects whichever devices are connected to
    the Maxtor card.

    Also, if I connect the DVD and CD-ROM drives to the Maxtor card, the system
    boots, but blue screens when I use either drive. I get an error message which
    reads: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

    This system has never had XP installed on it. It is a brand new system to
    which I have freshly installed XP 64. I really would like to get thise
    hardware configuration to work. Any suggestions?

    My hardware is as follows:
    Tyan S2895 system board (BIOS version 1.00.2895, date 2/21/05)
    2 AMD Opteron Model 248 processors
    Diamond Viper X X600 Pro graphics accelerator card
    Maxtor Ultra ATA 133 Controller (BIOS version 2.20.0050.10 by Promise
    Technology)
    2 WDC SATA hard drives
    4 IDE hard drives (3 > 137 GB)
    1 IDE DVD-ROM drive
    1 IDE CD-ROM drive

    Maxtor's technical support wrote:

    It sounds like this is an operating system issue with XP 64. Did you
    recently upgrade to 64 or has it been working fine in any configuration until
    just recently? When did the problem start?

    We do not have any specific drivers for the ATA card other than what was
    supplied with the card itself.

    Given that POST sees all devices correctly, we can assume the hardware is
    fine. Do you have the same problem when running XP?

    =?Utf-8?B?SGFnb3A=?=, Sep 21, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SGFnb3A=?=

    Rick Guest

    Re: Can't boot to XP 64 with drives connected to Maxtor Ultra ATA133

    I am just guessing, but on a MB with both IDE and SATA hard drives, the
    IDE is recognized by the BIOS as drive 80 & 81 (if you have only 2 IDE
    HD) and the SATA is recognized as drive 82, 83, etc. This means the
    systems attempts to boot from the 1st IDE drive.

    If the system BIOS and/or the ATA 133 BIOS have the option to designate
    the boot drive, you need to configure either or both to designate the
    SATA drive with x64 on it as the 'boot' drive.

    Your problem is a hardware setup/configuration problem. It is not a Win
    x64 problem.

    If you have no idea what I have said above, then you need to find
    someone well versed in computer hardware to look at your system.

    Rick, Sep 21, 2005

  3. Hi, let's take this from the bottom. . .

    "Hagop" <> wrote in message

    >I am unable to boot to Windows XP 64 with drives connected to my Maxtor
    >Ultra
    > ATA 133 card. My XP 64 installation is on a SATA drive and boots fine when
    > disconnect the cables from the card, but leave the card in the system. The
    > system also boots when I connect any two of my six IDE devices to the
    > onboard
    > IDE controller.
    >

    > During POST, the system correctly detects whichever devices are connected
    > the Maxtor card.
    >

    > Also, if I connect the DVD and CD-ROM drives to the Maxtor card, the
    > system
    > boots, but blue screens when I use either drive. I get an error message
    > which
    > reads: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    >

    > This system has never had XP installed on it. It is a brand new system to
    > which I have freshly installed XP 64. I really would like to get thise
    > hardware configuration to work. Any suggestions?
    >

    > My hardware is as follows:
    > Tyan S2895 system board (BIOS version 1.00.2895, date 2/21/05)
    > 2 AMD Opteron Model 248 processors
    > Diamond Viper X X600 Pro graphics accelerator card
    > Maxtor Ultra ATA 133 Controller (BIOS version 2.20.0050.10 by Promise
    > Technology)
    > 2 WDC SATA hard drives
    > 4 IDE hard drives (3 > 137 GB)
    > 1 IDE DVD-ROM drive
    > 1 IDE CD-ROM drive
    >

    > Maxtor's technical support wrote:
    >
    > It sounds like this is an operating system issue with XP 64. Did you
    > recently upgrade to 64 or has it been working fine in any configuration
    > until
    > just recently? When did the problem start?

    2.
    > We do not have any specific drivers for the ATA card other than what was
    > supplied with the card itself.

    1.
    > Given that POST sees all devices correctly, we can assume the hardware is
    > fine. Do you have the same problem when running XP?

    1. Maybe. It's not unlikely that they can communicate their ID info to BIOS
    without any 64 bit support.

    2. Are those drivers 64bit? Of course, being ATA, it could be serviced from
    the OS directly, but the stuff on the board must itself be able to
    communicate in 64bit, am I mistaken, anyone?

    It is my experience that if you have SATA on-board and put other stuff
    inside there too and let the machine figure out for itself what to do with
    it, you are bound to have some kind of trouble, and most likely something
    that is hard to figure. Make sure that everything you put inside has 64bit
    support - connected or not.

    What of your BIOS? Doesn't it need to be configured so as to know where to
    boot from? If you put a card inside I guess you have to disable the things
    it is to replace, as a minimum. And probably also shuffle the boot-order
    around a bit, I assume.

    We probably would do well with some explanation of what was exchanged for
    what reasons, together with some specifics of how you went about
    organizing - what, at first, looks a bit 'over the top'.

    Greetings, Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 21, 2005
  4. Re: Can't boot to XP 64 with drives connected to Maxtor Ultra ATA

    I didn't know about the drive 80-83 assignments that you wrote about, but the
    rest of it made sense to me. I assume you're saying that I have to use the
    system utilities (F2 during POST in my case) to specify which drive to boot
    from. I have done that.

    Just now when I connected two hard drives to IDE2 and two CD drives to IDE1
    on the Maxtor card and the other two IDE hard drives to the system board, the
    Boot Device Priority screen in my system utilities detected 6 of my 8
    devices. It did not detect the two CD drives. Perhaps the issue is some
    conflict with the drive assignments? I have long ago assigned my SATA drive
    as the only boot device.

    Then I disconnected the CD drives altogether, and got the same result.

    If, as you're guessing, it's due to the Maxtor card trying to boot from one
    of the hard drives connected to it, Maxtor should provide me some method to
    designate all the connected drives as non-bootable drives, correct?

    =?Utf-8?B?SGFnb3A=?=, Sep 21, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?SGFnb3A=?=

    Rick Guest

    Re: Can't boot to XP 64 with drives connected to Maxtor Ultra ATA133

    The other information I gather from checking the Promise web site, is
    that your board may not currently be supported in Win x64.

    The site has driver for Windows 98/Me/NT4/2000/XP/2003, but none for x64.

    That's probably where your blue screen is coming from - no hardware driver.

    I think you may need to look for a different IDE card.

    Rick, Sep 21, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?SGFnb3A=?=

    Hagop wrote:
    > I didn't know about the drive 80-83 assignments that you wrote about, but the
    > rest of it made sense to me. I assume you're saying that I have to use the
    > system utilities (F2 during POST in my case) to specify which drive to boot
    > from. I have done that.

    Hard drive numbers assigned by the BIOS for the hardware devices start
    with hexadecimal 0x80. The IDE has the highest priority and starts with
    hex 0x80 for Drive C:, or the first bootable drive. This is what the
    system will default to unless there is a provision in the BIOS to
    designated the boot sequence - which most MBs now have.

    > Just now when I connected two hard drives to IDE2 and two CD drives to IDE1
    > on the Maxtor card and the other two IDE hard drives to the system board, the
    > Boot Device Priority screen in my system utilities detected 6 of my 8
    > devices. It did not detect the two CD drives. Perhaps the issue is some
    > conflict with the drive assignments? I have long ago assigned my SATA drive
    > as the only boot device.
    >
    > Then I disconnected the CD drives altogether, and got the same result.
    >
    > If, as you're guessing, it's due to the Maxtor card trying to boot from one
    > of the hard drives connected to it, Maxtor should provide me some method to
    > designate all the connected drives as non-bootable drives, correct?

    This would depend on whether there is a configurable BIOS on the card.
    But the other problem is whether there is a driver in Win x64 to support
    the card. Neither Maxtor nor Promise have a 64-bit driver listed on
    their sites. That doesn't mean there isn't one, but you may need to
    contact Promise directly to check that.

    Rick, Sep 21, 2005
  7. Re: Can't boot to XP 64 with drives connected to Maxtor Ultra ATA

    > 1.
    > > Given that POST sees all devices correctly, we can assume the hardware is
    > > fine. Do you have the same problem when running XP?

    > 1. Maybe. It's not unlikely that they can communicate their ID info to BIOS
    > without any 64 bit support.

    That was Maxtor's support technician. I certainly didn't assume that just
    because the Maxtor card was able to report the presence of the drive all was
    okay. On the contrary, I was using that information simply as verification
    that the hardware was functional at the most basic level.

    > 2.
    > > We do not have any specific drivers for the ATA card other than what was
    > > supplied with the card itself.
    > >

    > 2. Are those drivers 64bit? Of course, being ATA, it could be serviced from
    > the OS directly, but the stuff on the board must itself be able to
    > communicate in 64bit, am I mistaken, anyone?

    I am not using the drivers that came with the card. I am using the drivers
    supplied by Microsoft on the XP 64 disk. I would hope that anything on that
    distribution would work correctly, but who knows? The card is listed under
    "SCSI and RAID controllers" as "Promise Technology Inc. Ultra IDE
    Controller". The driver details are as follows:

    Provider: Microsoft
    Date: 10/1/2002
    Version: 5.2.3790.1830
    Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Publisher

    Driver File Details:
    Promise Technology Inc. Ultra IDE Controller
    Driver files:
    C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\ultra.sys
    Provider: Promise Technology, Inc.
    File version: 2.1.0.1
    Copyright: (c) 1988-2002 Promise Technology Inc.
    Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Publisher

    > It is my experience that if you have SATA on-board and put other stuff
    > inside there too and let the machine figure out for itself what to do with
    > it, you are bound to have some kind of trouble, and most likely something
    > that is hard to figure. Make sure that everything you put inside has 64bit
    > support - connected or not.

    I don't know what to make of this paragraph. It doesn't seem like a stretch
    to expect 64 bit support of IDE devices. I would expect that the OS has the
    ability to support these devices, and the hardware follows some defined
    protocols to identify/numerate itself to the OS.

    > What of your BIOS? Doesn't it need to be configured so as to know where to
    > boot from? If you put a card inside I guess you have to disable the things
    > it is to replace, as a minimum. And probably also shuffle the boot-order
    > around a bit, I assume.

    I have configured the BIOS to boot only from the SATA drive on which my OS
    is installed. The system utilities (F2 at POST in my case) detect the other
    hard drives installed on the Ultra ATA card. I have excluded them from the
    list of boot devices.

    > We probably would do well with some explanation of what was exchanged for
    > what reasons, together with some specifics of how you went about
    > organizing - what, at first, looks a bit 'over the top'.

    I don't know what you're looking for when you're asking for "what was
    exchanged for what reasons." If you're asking how I've arranged my IDE
    chains, I'd be happy to provide the details, but I didn't think it very
    relevant to the problem I'm experiencing.

    =?Utf-8?B?SGFnb3A=?=, Sep 21, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?SGFnb3A=?=

    Rick Guest

    Re: Can't boot to XP 64 with drives connected to Maxtor Ultra ATA133

    I think you should go to the Microsoft web site and do a search on:

    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

    I just did and there are many reference that come back. It seems most
    indicate a software problem, but one or two do caution about hardware
    incompatibility.

    Your problem really sounds like you need to get someone to do some
    hands-on trouble shooting.

    Date: 10/1/2002
    Version: 5.2.3790.1830

    =?Utf-8?B?SGFnb3A=?=, Sep 21, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?SGFnb3A=?=

    cristalink Guest

    Blue screens are caused either by bad drivers or faulty hardware.
    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is a faulty driver.

    You can use Microsoft WinDbg from Debugging Tools for Windows (it's free) to
    find out the name of the offending driver by analyzing the crash dump. It's
    not as hard as it sounds. All you need is load a crash dump then type
    "!analyze -v". Or you can try Windows Driver Verifier (verifier.exe). Once
    you get the name of the driver, you can try to disable it, get a fixed
    version, or contact the manufacturer with some evidence at hand.
    --
    http://www.firestreamer.com
    Use Microsoft Backup with DVD, HDD, Iomega REV,

    cristalink, Sep 21, 2005
  11. There is one thing that these posts have not mentioned. There is an
    interupt that needs to be caught while POSTING, its something about Ir9 I
    think it is. THIS allows controller cards to give priority and then access
    their onboard BIOS and give it priority over MB devices. Check this
    setting. I will do a little research on your board type in a minute and
    post my findings.
    BUT, you should be able to go in to your computer's BIOS and find this.

    Draco Paladine

    Draco Paladine, Sep 21, 2005
  12. Re: Can't boot to XP 64 with drives connected to Maxtor Ultra ATA

    > Your problem really sounds like you need to get someone to do some
    > hands-on trouble shooting.

    That's what I'm trying to do. I certainly have at least as much
    experience/knowledge as some A+ certified GeekSquad technician. I don't know
    who to go to with a problem like this. I'm also not looking to spend
    megabucks on getting some IDE drives working. Maybe some Microsoft technician
    would be interested in resolving this problem? Who knows?

    =?Utf-8?B?SGFnb3A=?=, Sep 21, 2005
  13. Re: Can't boot to XP 64 with drives connected to Maxtor Ultra ATA

    I installed and ran the Debugging Tools for Windows. I looked at the last
    crash dump. The offending driver is SCSIPORT.SYS. I found the driver
    (C:\Windows\system32\drivers\scsiport.sys) and checked the properties. Lo and
    behold, it's a Microsoft driver.

    File version: 5.2.3790.1830 (srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447)
    Copyright: (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

    Think this is enough evidence to go to Microsoft with?

    =?Utf-8?B?SGFnb3A=?=, Sep 21, 2005
  14. Re: Can't boot to XP 64 with drives connected to Maxtor Ultra ATA

    If I get that right, you have configured your BIOS to boot from SATA - then
    you insert a IDE card (in exchange for the connectors already on the board?)
    You don't re-configure the BIOS and your IDE won't boot! If this is an
    attempt at dual-booting, then it will not work as expected. If you are just
    trying to boot an older drive intermittently, then you need to re-configure
    the boot order, and what Rick says, makes perfect sense, but some (perhaps
    most) BIOS'es have the ability to make either SATA or IDE active or indeed
    both at once. Perhaps you should close-read those BIOS options?

    I'm a little confused, not surprised your machine is - and no offence!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 21, 2005
  15. Re: Can't boot to XP 64 with drives connected to Maxtor Ultra ATA

    I have no idea what you're saying here. The only thing I found in the manual
    that mentioned IRQ9 was titled, "PCI/PNP ISA IRQ Resource Exclusion". The
    Maxtor card I have installed is a PCI card, so I don't think I need to
    reserve IRQ9, or any other interrupt, for it. I am also trying to ensure that
    nothing boots *from* the controller card. I want the OS to boot from the SATA
    drive, which is connected to the MB.

    =?Utf-8?B?SGFnb3A=?=, Sep 21, 2005
  16. =?Utf-8?B?SGFnb3A=?=

    cristalink Guest

    Re: Can't boot to XP 64 with drives connected to Maxtor Ultra ATA

    I think they should be willing to fix it. However, I am not sure who you
    should contact. Try posting the !analyze result at
    microsoft.public.development.device.drivers, it might be noticed by MS
    programmers who deal with this sort of stuff.

    If you right-click your controller in the device manager, Properties,
    Driver, Driver Details, what are the drivers listed there? There may be a
    driver from Promise. Try checking for an update on Promise website.

    cristalink, Sep 21, 2005
  17. Re: Can't boot to XP 64 with drives connected to Maxtor Ultra ATA

    I am not trying to boot from any of my IDE drives. I simply want them to come
    up as data storage. That's it. I am not inserting the IDE card to replace the
    connector on the board. I want to use the one on the board as well as the two
    on the IDE card. I am not trying to dual boot. I simply want to boot to
    Windows XP 64 and have it mount my two SATA drives, four IDE drives, and two
    CD-ROM drives.

    Date: 10/1/2002
    Version: 5.2.3790.1830
    Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Publisher

    Driver File Details:
    Promise Technology Inc. Ultra IDE Controller
    Driver files:
    C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\ultra.sys
    Provider: Promise Technology, Inc.
    File version: 2.1.0.1
    Copyright: (c) 1988-2002 Promise Technology Inc.
    Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Publisher

    I called Promise earlier this afternoon. The technician said they do not
    have an XP 64 driver for either their device or Maxtor's product.

    Thanks for the suggestion about where to post the !analyze results. I'll do
    that.

    =?Utf-8?B?SGFnb3A=?=, Sep 21, 2005
  19. =?Utf-8?B?SGFnb3A=?=

    cristalink Guest

    Re: Can't boot to XP 64 with drives connected to Maxtor Ultra ATA

    >> I would hope that anything on that distribution would work correctly, but
    >> who knows.

    I woudn't count on this.

    >> I am using the drivers supplied by Microsoft on the XP 64 disk

    It's normal practice to put 3rd party drivers into the Windows setup.

    >> C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\ultra.sys

    Obviously it's a 64-bit driver provided by Promise, or MS licensed the code
    and rebuilt it for x64. Try microsoft.public.development.device.drivers

    Cheers

    cristalink, Sep 22, 2005
  20. I noticed you are not using the most recent BIOS in your MB. Try upgrading
    this as I read there were a few add-on card boot up issues resolved in the
    newest one.

    Draco Paladine, Sep 22, 2005