    (though, in fact, it does read the boot floppy).

    Any suggestions?

    TIA

    Paul, Oct 28, 2005

  2. Paul

    Shep© Guest

    On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 12:20:06 -0500 If you fall from a tree,leave your
    anger on the branch and then (Paul) sent this :

    >Problem with a friend's computer: it won't boot up into Windows (XP Pro) -- it
    >stops and hangs after POST. Suspect either a virus or perhaps he deleted a
    >systems' file. I can see what's on the hard drive through DOS using a W98 boot
    >disk (he has FAT32). I can look into all the folders except into the Windows
    >one -- it gives a 'cannot read C: drive. Abort, retry or fail? ' (or something
    >very similar). I can't restore from DOS without going into the Windows folder,
    >can I?
    >
    >I suppose I could try reloading XP but his data is valuable, and probably not
    >fully backed up. I don't want to chance knocking that data out.
    >
    >Probably unrelated, the bios lists no drives other than the hard drive -- have
    >set to auto and got it to search for other IDE devices but nothing doing
    >(though, in fact, it does read the boot floppy).
    >
    >Any suggestions?
    >
    >TIA

    Try here,

    Free Windows/PC help,

    Shep©, Oct 28, 2005

  3. Paul

    SEYMOUR Guest

    i would try booting to the xp cd and follow instructions to set up a new
    installation.
    after being asked to press f8 to agree you will be given the oiption to
    repair an existing installation.
    follow this and all the system files will be replaced with no loss of data.
    note: dont accept the option to repair using the recovery console but carry
    on until after you have pressed f8

    SEYMOUR, Oct 28, 2005
  4. Paul

    Jon Splane Guest

    Paul wrote:

    > Problem with a friend's computer: it won't boot up into Windows (XP Pro) -- it
    > stops and hangs after POST. Suspect either a virus or perhaps he deleted a
    > systems' file. I can see what's on the hard drive through DOS using a W98 boot
    > disk (he has FAT32). I can look into all the folders except into the Windows
    > one -- it gives a 'cannot read C: drive. Abort, retry or fail? ' (or something
    > very similar). I can't restore from DOS without going into the Windows folder,
    > can I?
    >
    > I suppose I could try reloading XP but his data is valuable, and probably not
    > fully backed up. I don't want to chance knocking that data out.
    >
    > Probably unrelated, the bios lists no drives other than the hard drive -- have
    > set to auto and got it to search for other IDE devices but nothing doing
    > (though, in fact, it does read the boot floppy).
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > TIA

    Have you tried running scandisk on the C: drive from the Win98 boot
    floppy?
    Jon

    Jon Splane, Oct 29, 2005
  5. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Re: Can't boot into Windows (Update)

    Update: It does now look increasing that it's the condition of the HDD itself
    that's the problem, rather than a software/virus-based cause. I was prepared to
    set things up to copy the important files onto another drive before trying a
    software repair, but find that I can no longer access any of the files/folders
    on the C drive via the bootup floppy.

    Tried also to scandisk, but it won't even do that -- fdisk shows the drive now
    displaying a corrupted volume label name. I guess I could try renaming via the
    'label' command (if I could find where that command resides) to retry scandisk,
    but guess it too late for that?

    Apart from turning the HDD over to a data recovery service, is it worth trying
    anything else that won't compromise the data?

    TIA

    Paul, Oct 29, 2005
  6. Paul

    PC Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > Update: It does now look increasing that it's the condition of the HDD
    > itself
    > that's the problem, rather than a software/virus-based cause. I was
    > prepared to
    > set things up to copy the important files onto another drive before trying
    > software repair, but find that I can no longer access any of the
    > files/folders
    > on the C drive via the bootup floppy.
    >
    > Tried also to scandisk, but it won't even do that -- fdisk shows the drive
    > now
    > displaying a corrupted volume label name. I guess I could try renaming via
    > the
    > 'label' command (if I could find where that command resides) to retry
    > scandisk,
    > but guess it too late for that?
    >
    > Apart from turning the HDD over to a data recovery service, is it worth
    > trying
    > anything else that won't compromise the data?
    >
    > TIA

    Paul

    I would advise (beg/plead/cajole....) you to pass the drive over to a data
    extraction expert.

    The drive is obviously dying quicker than you can get the data of it with
    the tools available to you.
    Every attempt to repair that you make is making it harder for the remaining
    data to be recovered by a data recovery expert.
    The 'last' thing you should be doing is writing 'anything' to the drive.

    Hard as it is to accept drives can die 'very' quickly, I've had one go from
    running normally to unbootable in less than an hour.
    In this case the drive was immediately mounted as a slave drive and the data
    pulled off, the data was restored to a new drive, W2K installation and all
    was well. (costs worked out at less than the first stage data recovery,
    phew!)
    The 'dead' drive (one of the Fujitsu 20GB's that died by the 100's of
    thousands in 02-03) was left on the shelf overnight then retested the next
    day before returning for replacement under warranty. Not unexpectedly the
    drive wouldn't respond at all, the best we could get out of it was the Bios
    seeing it every 3 or 4 reboots, but as for the data,
    phut/gone/vanished/disappeared.

    I guess what I'm saying is only by doing the right thing and getting the
    data off 'immediately' did we save the cost of sending the drive to a data
    extraction expert. In this particular case the fault was in the electronics
    and the drive would have responded to a new electronics board 'if' one could
    have got one. As it was they were dying so quickly that even replacing the
    board was no guarantee it wouldn't die in the middle of extracting the data.

    What I suspect is the drive in question is perilously close to the state of
    our Fujitsu the next morning, i.e. close to unreadable, best left to the
    experts if the data is that valuable.

    I hope they're successful in recovering the data.
    Cheers
    Paul

    PC, Oct 30, 2005