    Start button to enable getting us to System Restore or any other recovery
    tools. Can someone help guide out of this mess
    thanks

    frankg, Jan 30, 2005

  2. frankg wrote:
    > After updating XP pro on friday to service pack 2 ,we cant boot into
    > windows. Windows provides 'an apology' and a few options such as booting
    > into Safe mode but the sceen is black with safe mode in the corners but no
    > Start button to enable getting us to System Restore or any other recovery
    > tools. Can someone help guide out of this mess
    > thanks

    If you let it stay on safe mode long enough to be sure it's not just
    pokey in starting up, then you can try booting with an XP CD, go to
    repair and at the command prompt, type in fixboot and fixmbr.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 30, 2005

  3. frankg

    frankg Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > frankg wrote:
    > > After updating XP pro on friday to service pack 2 ,we cant boot into
    > > windows. Windows provides 'an apology' and a few options such as booting
    > > into Safe mode but the sceen is black with safe mode in the corners but

    no
    > > Start button to enable getting us to System Restore or any other

    recovery
    > > tools. Can someone help guide out of this mess
    > > thanks

    > If you let it stay on safe mode long enough to be sure it's not just
    > pokey in starting up, then you can try booting with an XP CD, go to
    > repair and at the command prompt, type in fixboot and fixmbr.

    Are you saying if we leave it on the "not working" safemode screen it may
    "kick in and begin working" and provide the Start button to enable us to get
    to system restore ?

    Alternatively, insert the xp cd, choose to repair xp, and then we'll be
    given the command prompt automatically ? - then first try 'fixboot' & enter.
    And try restarting, and if that does not work then try 'fixmbr' ?

    right now the only way of restarting is to pull the powe cord and plug it
    back in

    frankg, Jan 30, 2005
  4. frankg wrote:
    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>frankg wrote:
    >>
    >>>After updating XP pro on friday to service pack 2 ,we cant boot into
    >>>windows. Windows provides 'an apology' and a few options such as booting
    >>>into Safe mode but the sceen is black with safe mode in the corners but

    > no
    >
    >>>Start button to enable getting us to System Restore or any other

    > recovery
    >
    >>>tools. Can someone help guide out of this mess
    >>>thanks

    >>If you let it stay on safe mode long enough to be sure it's not just
    >>pokey in starting up, then you can try booting with an XP CD, go to
    >>repair and at the command prompt, type in fixboot and fixmbr.

    > Are you saying if we leave it on the "not working" safemode screen it may
    > "kick in and begin working" and provide the Start button to enable us to get
    > to system restore ?
    >
    > Alternatively, insert the xp cd, choose to repair xp, and then we'll be
    > given the command prompt automatically ? - then first try 'fixboot' & enter.
    > And try restarting, and if that does not work then try 'fixmbr' ?
    >
    > right now the only way of restarting is to pull the powe cord and plug it
    > back in

    You can hold in the on/off switch for 5 seconds and it will work. And
    I'm not saying if you leave it in "non-working" safe mode for several
    days it will start working, but I have seen it take an inordinate amount
    of time to start loading the desktop before. And if you get to the
    command prompt in the repair console, run fixboot and fixmbr both in the
    same session before restarting.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 30, 2005
  5. frankg

    frankg Guest

    booting

    but

    > > no

    > > recovery

    > >>If you let it stay on safe mode long enough to be sure it's not just
    > >>pokey in starting up, then you can try booting with an XP CD, go to
    > >>repair and at the command prompt, type in fixboot and fixmbr.

    > > Are you saying if we leave it on the "not working" safemode screen it

    may
    > > "kick in and begin working" and provide the Start button to enable us to

    get
    > > to system restore ?
    > >
    > > Alternatively, insert the xp cd, choose to repair xp, and then we'll be
    > > given the command prompt automatically ? - then first try 'fixboot' &

    enter.
    > > And try restarting, and if that does not work then try 'fixmbr' ?
    > >
    > > right now the only way of restarting is to pull the powe cord and plug

    it
    > > back in

    > You can hold in the on/off switch for 5 seconds and it will work. And
    > I'm not saying if you leave it in "non-working" safe mode for several
    > days it will start working, but I have seen it take an inordinate amount
    > of time to start loading the desktop before. And if you get to the
    > command prompt in the repair console, run fixboot and fixmbr both in the
    > same session before restarting.

    OK thanks for the directions - we'll try that and let you know (tomorrow)
    if it worked

    frankg, Jan 30, 2005
  6. frankg wrote:
    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>frankg wrote:
    >>
    >>>After updating XP pro on friday to service pack 2 ,we cant boot into
    >>>windows. Windows provides 'an apology' and a few options such as booting
    >>>into Safe mode but the sceen is black with safe mode in the corners but

    > no
    >
    >>>Start button to enable getting us to System Restore or any other

    > recovery
    >
    >>>tools. Can someone help guide out of this mess
    >>>thanks

    >>If you let it stay on safe mode long enough to be sure it's not just
    >>pokey in starting up, then you can try booting with an XP CD, go to
    >>repair and at the command prompt, type in fixboot and fixmbr.

    > Are you saying if we leave it on the "not working" safemode screen it may
    > "kick in and begin working" and provide the Start button to enable us to get
    > to system restore ?
    >
    > Alternatively, insert the xp cd, choose to repair xp, and then we'll be
    > given the command prompt automatically ? - then first try 'fixboot' & enter.
    > And try restarting, and if that does not work then try 'fixmbr' ?
    >
    > right now the only way of restarting is to pull the powe cord and plug it
    > back in

    Have you tried F8 on startup for the boot menu and choose "Last known
    good configuration"?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 30, 2005
  7. frankg

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "frankg" <> wrote in message
    | After updating XP pro on friday to service pack 2 ,we cant boot into
    | windows. Windows provides 'an apology' and a few options such as booting
    | into Safe mode but the sceen is black with safe mode in the corners but
    no
    | Start button to enable getting us to System Restore or any other recovery
    | tools. Can someone help guide out of this mess
    | thanks

    Roger's given some excellent tips - here's one more: Recovery Console (let
    the XP CD boot into setup - choose repair from the menu). I had to do that
    this morning (Norton AV crashed...killed the guys computer) - here's a link
    to help you with what to try from there:

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmc_str_bjid.asp

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/29y9c

    if the link is broken.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 30, 2005
  8. frankg

    frankg Guest

    booting

    but

    > > no

    > > recovery

    > >>If you let it stay on safe mode long enough to be sure it's not just
    > >>pokey in starting up, then you can try booting with an XP CD, go to
    > >>repair and at the command prompt, type in fixboot and fixmbr.

    > > Are you saying if we leave it on the "not working" safemode screen it

    may
    > > "kick in and begin working" and provide the Start button to enable us to

    get
    > > to system restore ?
    > >
    > > Alternatively, insert the xp cd, choose to repair xp, and then we'll be
    > > given the command prompt automatically ? - then first try 'fixboot' &

    enter.
    > > And try restarting, and if that does not work then try 'fixmbr' ?
    > >
    > > right now the only way of restarting is to pull the powe cord and plug

    it
    > > back in

    > Have you tried F8 on startup for the boot menu and choose "Last known
    > good configuration"?

    Yes. No luck

    frankg, Jan 31, 2005
  9. frankg

    frankg Guest

    Unfortunately we cant get to the CD's Repair option or command prompt. The
    cd drive does not seem accessible. Tried inserting it and then starting and
    also after starting - no luck

    frankg, Jan 31, 2005