    Please look at it and give me your advice....
    --
    carole UK

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2xlIFVL?=, Jul 19, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2xlIFVL?=

    Malke Guest

    Carole UK wrote:

    > HI...I use this facility quite regularly and have always had a
    > positive response, but I put a query on this site 2 days ago and have
    > had
    > nothing....can't any of you technical experts help please ???? My
    > original
    > query is dated 17/7 and the subject is "Internet connection comes and
    > goes" Please look at it and give me your advice....

    Hi, Carol. First of all this isn't a site. You are using the web
    interface to the newsgroups, which is pretty awful. You should set up a
    newsreader (instructions are below). Since this is Usenet, you should
    have posted to the original thread. Now that you've made a new post
    without any details, no one knows what you are talking about. Post back
    with all pertinent details and we'll see if we can help you. See the
    links below about making good posts. There is always the chance that
    you didn't get an answer because 1) you weren't clear enough; 2) no one
    had an answer for you. This isn't Microsoft support, after all. If you
    need tech support immediately, call a local professional to come onsite
    and sort you out. I'm not saying this to hurt your feelings; just
    remember this is peer-to-peer support where, although some MS employees
    do post in the groups, the majority of us are just volunteers with
    lives and other responsibilities.

    http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page3.html#12-09-02 - a brief
    explanation of newsgroups
    http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/news/howto/default.asp
    - Set Up Newsreader

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
    working properly
    http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm - how to munge email address
    http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting vs.
    crossposting

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Jul 19, 2005

  3. Ah...thanks for the explanation - I didn't realise how the messages worked.
    Thanks for responding as well !

    I guess the reason nobody has replied is that nobody knows the answer,
    although I find it hard to believe as I've always had really quick and
    helpful advice in the past. There's some very clever people out there.

    I've copied my original post again following the row of asterisks. Any help
    gratefully received.

    I've been helping a friend upgrade his system - put in a wireless network (2
    laptops via a netgear router), got broadband, installed SP2. All is well
    except one continuing problem........

    We noticed the 'Internet connection' icon was missing in the bottom bar, and
    we kept getting 'server error' on the first attempt to send e-mail from
    outlook. If we then hit send/receive, the mail eventually went. Also, the
    home page never displayed first time in MSIE, but did on refresh. I checked
    network connection - wireless fine; LAN fine - but no Internet Gateway
    connection displayed.
    I played around with a few settings - no good, then disabled the WINDOWS
    firewall and immediately the Internet Gateway Connection appeared in Network
    Connections. I installed Zone Alarm temporarily and left the Windows
    firewall off.
    BUT - next day - nothing has been changed, (firewall still off) and the
    Internet connection has disappeared again, along with the same problems with
    sending mail, and displaying home page.
    What's going on here ?? It seems that the connection won't stay put, but we
    can get past it with a manual intervention in both Outlook and MSIE.

    I'll be extremely grateful for any help - we're both going insane.
    Incidentally - running XP SP2, and latest versions of MSIE, Outlook etc. The
    wireless signal is 'Excellent', and the LAN seems fine.

    --
    carole UK

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2xlIFVL?=, Jul 20, 2005
  4. The internet gateway will not display if you are using a firewall. This is
    expected behavior (the firewall blocks the network messages used by devices
    to announce their presence) and not a problem.

    Did you install wireless cards into the laptops or is wireless built-in? If
    you know the manufacturers of the wireless cards, try updating the drivers.
    Also, it sounds like the wireless card is not turned on until after a
    connection attempt has been made (the reason why you need to perform a
    manual reload or send/receive). Look if there is some kind of power saving
    setting for it. Also, in the Administrative Tools Control Panel, there is
    something called Services. Open that and look for a service called Wireless
    Zero Configuration. Its Startup type should be set to Automatic and it
    should be started. If you are still having trouble connecting, reboot and
    open up a command prompt (Start->Run->type "cmd") and then type "ipconfig
    /all" and post the results here.

    -Yves

    Yves Konigshofer, Jul 20, 2005
  5. Thanks for this Yves. I need to go over to my friend's place to check it out
    - I'll go in the next couple of days - can I ask you please to check this
    thread again to see if it worked ?
    To answer an immediate question - I installed wireless cards into both
    laptops (not built-in). I'll update the drivers and check everything else
    you suggested.
    Thanks again.
    --
    carole UK

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2xlIFVL?=, Jul 20, 2005
  6. Thanks Yves - it was the Wireless Zero Configuration settings - all is well
    now.

    --
    carole UK

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2xlIFVL?=, Jul 25, 2005