Can't Alpha-Sort Bookmarks Folder

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Howard Leighty, Dec 29, 2005.

  1. I'm a new user of Mozilla Firefox 1.5 (MF) and I ran into my first little
    problem. When installing MF today, I was presented with the opportunity to
    import my Favorites list from IE6. I did so.

    All seemed to be well, but I noticed that in my folder named "Personal" the
    bookmark subfolders were in an entirely different order than the alpha-sort
    order I had created in IE6.

    So I opened Manage Bookmarks and selected the Personal folder and then
    clicked "View" on the Menu Toolbar and selected "Sorted by Name" and "A > Z
    Sort Order". This action did have the effect of alpha-sorting the
    subfolders of the Personal folder in the Manage Bookmarks window.

    But when I closed the Manage Bookmarks window and returned to the main
    Mozilla window, I found that the subfolders of the Personal folder were
    unchanged and they were still in some random unsorted order.

    Then I right-clicked on the Personal folder and selected "Sort by Name" by
    left-clicking on that option. The action appeared to execute but nothing
    changed.
    The subfolders of the Personal folder are still in random order.

    Am I missing something here? Can anyone assist me in getting the subfolders
    of the Personal folder to sort in alpha A>Z order? Thanks.

    Howard Leighty
    Howard Leighty, Dec 29, 2005

  2. Howard Leighty

    Andy Luddy Guest

    Howard Leighty wrote:
    > I'm a new user of Mozilla Firefox 1.5 (MF) and I ran into my first little
    > problem. When installing MF today, I was presented with the opportunity to
    > import my Favorites list from IE6. I did so.
    >
    > All seemed to be well, but I noticed that in my folder named "Personal" the
    > bookmark subfolders were in an entirely different order than the alpha-sort
    > order I had created in IE6.
    >
    > So I opened Manage Bookmarks and selected the Personal folder and then
    > clicked "View" on the Menu Toolbar and selected "Sorted by Name" and "A > Z
    > Sort Order". This action did have the effect of alpha-sorting the
    > subfolders of the Personal folder in the Manage Bookmarks window.
    >
    > But when I closed the Manage Bookmarks window and returned to the main
    > Mozilla window, I found that the subfolders of the Personal folder were
    > unchanged and they were still in some random unsorted order.
    >
    > Then I right-clicked on the Personal folder and selected "Sort by Name" by
    > left-clicking on that option. The action appeared to execute but nothing
    > changed.
    > The subfolders of the Personal folder are still in random order.
    >
    > Am I missing something here? Can anyone assist me in getting the subfolders
    > of the Personal folder to sort in alpha A>Z order? Thanks.
    >
    > Howard Leighty

    Consider checking the bookmarks.html file and make certain that it is
    not read-only.
    Andy Luddy, Jan 4, 2006