    months left on my subscription and don't know what would happen to it if I
    re-installed from scratch. anyone got any suggestions on an easy fix or
    likely culprit?
    Malcolm Function, May 12, 2004

  2. Malcolm Function

    Jonti Guest

    "Malcolm Function" <> wrote in message
    news:40a21d11$0$8787$...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm running Norton's SystemWorks 2003 and had some minor drama's last week
    > with a couple of viruses which snuck in via Kazaa. They were easily dealt
    > with and cleaned out using the Anti-Virus and Ad-Aware, but has left a
    > strange after-effect. I can no longer enable the Auto-Protect feature,
    > meaning that all email and other incoming files are no longer

    automatically
    > checked, although manual scans still work.
    >
    > Clicking on the relevant option and attempting to "Enable" from the
    > SystemWorks control panel has no effect, as does going into the drop down
    > options menu for Anti-Virus and ticking the box for enabling auto-protect.
    > Either way, the status of auto-protect remains "OFF" and email-scanning is
    > listed "Error"
    >
    > I'd rather not do the whole re-install thing as I've still got over six
    > months left on my subscription and don't know what would happen to it if I
    > re-installed from scratch. anyone got any suggestions on an easy fix or
    > likely culprit?

    Plenty of info about this on Symantec site! And the solutions, none that
    really work! Easiest solution is a complete uninstall using Windows
    add/remove tool, then download the rnav2003 tool from Symatec to remove
    everything left behind when using add/remove.

    Then do a reinstall.
    Your subscription will not be affected as that info is in the registry. So,
    you'll still have 6 months left.
    BTW Are you using a pirated copy? :-0
    --
    Jonti
    Jonti, May 12, 2004

  3. Malcolm Function

    Plato Guest

    Malcolm Function wrote:

    > I'm running Norton's SystemWorks 2003 and had some minor drama's last week
    > with a couple of viruses which snuck in via Kazaa. They were easily dealt

    Kazaa is a virus distribution and spyware network. Uninstall it.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, May 12, 2004
  4. Malcolm Function

    Unk Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 15:59:38 +0100, "Jonti" <> wrote:
    >"Malcolm Function" <> wrote in message

    <snip>
    >Easiest solution is a complete uninstall using Windows
    >add/remove tool, then download the rnav2003 tool from Symatec to remove
    >everything left behind when using add/remove.
    >
    >Then do a reinstall.
    >Your subscription will not be affected as that info is in the registry. So,
    >you'll still have 6 months left.

    It is NOT stored in the registry. The expiration data is stored in the file,
    "Catalog.LiveSubscribe" which is located in the folder, "C:\Program
    Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\LiveReg"

    You need TWO tools to remove Norton, Symclean & RNAV.
    http://www.symantec.com/search/

    Run 1st: symclean
    Run 2nd: RNAV

    After using the Norton removal tools, delete the folder "C:\Program
    Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared" and reinstall. You will get a full year.
    Unk, May 12, 2004
  5. Malcolm Function

    Jonti Guest

    "Unk" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 12 May 2004 15:59:38 +0100, "Jonti" <> wrote:
    > >"Malcolm Function" <> wrote in message

    > <snip>
    > >Easiest solution is a complete uninstall using Windows
    > >add/remove tool, then download the rnav2003 tool from Symatec to remove
    > >everything left behind when using add/remove.
    > >
    > >Then do a reinstall.
    > >Your subscription will not be affected as that info is in the registry.

    So,
    > >you'll still have 6 months left.

    > It is NOT stored in the registry. The expiration data is stored in the

    file,
    > "Catalog.LiveSubscribe" which is located in the folder, "C:\Program
    > Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\LiveReg"
    >
    > You need TWO tools to remove Norton, Symclean & RNAV.
    > http://www.symantec.com/search/
    >
    > Run 1st: symclean
    > Run 2nd: RNAV
    >
    > After using the Norton removal tools, delete the folder "C:\Program
    > Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared" and reinstall. You will get a full

    year.

    It is NOT stored in the registry! So what!
    Jonti, May 12, 2004
  6. Malcolm Function

    Unk Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 19:58:54 +0100, "Jonti" <> wrote:

    >It is NOT stored in the registry! So what!

    So what? You provided false information, that's what. If you can't provide
    the correct info, don't post.
    Unk, May 12, 2004
  7. Malcolm Function

    Jonti Guest

    "Unk" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 12 May 2004 19:58:54 +0100, "Jonti" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >It is NOT stored in the registry! So what!

    > So what? You provided false information, that's what. If you can't

    provide
    > the correct info, don't post.

    Actually Symantec does insert the said info into the registry! If you know
    where! That's how Norton restricts you to 12 month of upgrades and can be
    easily altered.

    And this is B*llocks "You need TWO tools to remove Norton, Symclean & RNAV."
    Because the error is caused by the Anti virus programme only. So only RNAV
    needs to be used.

    'Bye
    --

    Jonti
    Jonti, May 12, 2004
  8. "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Malcolm Function wrote:
    > >
    > > I'm running Norton's SystemWorks 2003 and had some minor drama's last

    week
    > > with a couple of viruses which snuck in via Kazaa. They were easily

    dealt

    > Kazaa is a virus distribution and spyware network. Uninstall it.

    You're asking a question no-one asked.

    Thanks for trying.
    Malcolm Function, May 13, 2004
  9. "Jonti" <> wrote in message
    > "Malcolm Function" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm running Norton's SystemWorks 2003 and had some minor drama's last

    week
    > > with a couple of viruses which snuck in via Kazaa. They were easily

    dealt
    > > with and cleaned out using the Anti-Virus and Ad-Aware, but has left a
    > > strange after-effect. I can no longer enable the Auto-Protect feature,
    > > meaning that all email and other incoming files are no longer

    > automatically
    > > checked, although manual scans still work.
    > >
    > > Clicking on the relevant option and attempting to "Enable" from the
    > > SystemWorks control panel has no effect, as does going into the drop

    down
    > > options menu for Anti-Virus and ticking the box for enabling

    auto-protect.
    > > Either way, the status of auto-protect remains "OFF" and email-scanning

    is
    > > listed "Error"
    > >
    > > I'd rather not do the whole re-install thing as I've still got over six
    > > months left on my subscription and don't know what would happen to it if

    > > re-installed from scratch. anyone got any suggestions on an easy fix or
    > > likely culprit?

    > Plenty of info about this on Symantec site! And the solutions, none that
    > really work! Easiest solution is a complete uninstall using Windows
    > add/remove tool, then download the rnav2003 tool from Symatec to remove
    > everything left behind when using add/remove.
    >
    > Then do a reinstall.
    > Your subscription will not be affected as that info is in the registry.

    So,
    > you'll still have 6 months left.
    > BTW Are you using a pirated copy? :-0

    Nope. Fully legit NAV 2003.

    Thanks for the info. Will consider the re-install if all else fails.

    Cheers.
    Malcolm Function, May 13, 2004
  10. "Unk" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 12 May 2004 15:59:38 +0100, "Jonti" <> wrote:
    > >"Malcolm Function" <> wrote in message

    > <snip>
    > >Easiest solution is a complete uninstall using Windows
    > >add/remove tool, then download the rnav2003 tool from Symatec to remove
    > >everything left behind when using add/remove.
    > >
    > >Then do a reinstall.
    > >Your subscription will not be affected as that info is in the registry.

    So,
    > >you'll still have 6 months left.

    > It is NOT stored in the registry. The expiration data is stored in the

    file,
    > "Catalog.LiveSubscribe" which is located in the folder, "C:\Program
    > Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\LiveReg"
    >
    > You need TWO tools to remove Norton, Symclean & RNAV.
    > http://www.symantec.com/search/
    >
    > Run 1st: symclean
    > Run 2nd: RNAV
    >
    > After using the Norton removal tools, delete the folder "C:\Program
    > Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared" and reinstall. You will get a full

    year.

    Thanks. I'll look into it further and see how I go.

    Much appreciated.
    Malcolm Function, May 13, 2004
  11. Malcolm Function

    Plato Guest

    Malcolm Function wrote:

    > > > I'm running Norton's SystemWorks 2003 and had some minor drama's last

    > week
    > > > with a couple of viruses which snuck in via Kazaa. They were easily

    > dealt
    > >
    > > Kazaa is a virus distribution and spyware network. Uninstall it.

    > You're asking a question no-one asked.

    You're ignoring your doctors advice to stop smoking. Continue to ignore
    it, continue to go on dying.
    Plato, May 13, 2004
  12. Malcolm Function

    Plato Guest

    Plato, May 13, 2004
  13. "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message

    last
    > > week

    > > dealt
    > > >
    > > > Kazaa is a virus distribution and spyware network. Uninstall it.

    > > You're asking a question no-one asked.

    > You're ignoring your doctors advice to stop smoking. Continue to ignore
    > it, continue to go on dying.

    On the contrary, modern medicine's and anti-virus protection allow one to
    live a rich, full life rather than cowering in a corner predicting doom
    brought on by passive smoking, acid rain and peering...
    Malcolm Function, May 14, 2004