Can't access Weather Underground

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Paul Welch, Oct 6, 2005.

  1. Paul Welch

    Paul Welch Guest

    I can no longer access Weather Underground at
    http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/

    My friends that I check with say they can access the site with no
    problem. This trouble started yesterday after I change one of their
    weather maps default setting. Now all I get is "www.wunderground.com
    can not be found" after a time-out delay.

    I can't even contact Weather Underground to ask how to fix this problem
    as I keep getting the can not be found message.

    I have deleted my cache, cookies and all my internet files to no avail.

    This is my favorite weather site during hurricane season. Any
    suggestions would be appreciated.

    I am using WindowsXP, Netscape 7.1 Internet Explorer 6.0, Mozilla 1.0.6.
    I get the same results on all the browsers. Even get same response on
    my sister-in-law's Juno id on this computer.

    Help. Thanks.
    Paul

    Paul Welch, Oct 6, 2005

  2. Paul Welch

    Mike Easter Guest

    Paul Welch wrote:
    > I can no longer access Weather Underground at
    > http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/

    One way to troubleshoot is to determine if you can access the site by
    its IP address.

    www.wunderground.com DNS 66.28.250.176 -- so sometimes you can access
    http://66.28.250.176 and sometimes you can't. Sometimes the reason you
    can't is because the webserver at 66.28.250.176 needs to have the name
    because it serves other domainnames or because it doesn't want to serve
    for the IP address.

    In this case, both http://www.wunderground.com and http://66.28.250.176
    work for me, so that tells you that if you /can't/ get it with the IP,
    that that means that there is a network connectivity problem.

    There is definitely a network connectivity problem going on for some
    people as this graphic^1 and story^2 by cnet indicate

    ^1 http://news.com.com/2104-1038_3-5889592.html?tag=st.bp
    ^2 http://snipurl.com/i7p6 Network feud leads to Net blackout

    > My friends that I check with say they can access the site with no
    > problem.

    Your friends have different connectivity.

    > This trouble started yesterday after I change one of their
    > weather maps default setting. Now all I get is "www.wunderground.com
    > can not be found" after a time-out delay.

    That can be a problem resolving, or that can be a connectivity problem.
    Not due to changing the map setting.

    > I can't even contact Weather Underground to ask how to fix this
    > problem as I keep getting the can not be found message.

    I don't think WU can help you there.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 6, 2005

  3. Paul Welch

    Paul Welch Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Paul Welch wrote:
    >
    >>I can no longer access Weather Underground at
    >>http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/

    > One way to troubleshoot is to determine if you can access the site by
    > its IP address.
    >
    > www.wunderground.com DNS 66.28.250.176 -- so sometimes you can access
    > http://66.28.250.176 and sometimes you can't. Sometimes the reason you
    > can't is because the webserver at 66.28.250.176 needs to have the name
    > because it serves other domainnames or because it doesn't want to serve
    > for the IP address.
    >
    > In this case, both http://www.wunderground.com and http://66.28.250.176
    > work for me, so that tells you that if you /can't/ get it with the IP,
    > that that means that there is a network connectivity problem.
    >
    > There is definitely a network connectivity problem going on for some
    > people as this graphic^1 and story^2 by cnet indicate
    >
    > ^1 http://news.com.com/2104-1038_3-5889592.html?tag=st.bp
    > ^2 http://snipurl.com/i7p6 Network feud leads to Net blackout
    >

    >>My friends that I check with say they can access the site with no
    >>problem.

    > Your friends have different connectivity.
    >

    >>This trouble started yesterday after I change one of their
    >>weather maps default setting. Now all I get is "www.wunderground.com
    >>can not be found" after a time-out delay.

    > That can be a problem resolving, or that can be a connectivity problem.
    > Not due to changing the map setting.
    >

    >>I can't even contact Weather Underground to ask how to fix this
    >>problem as I keep getting the can not be found message.

    > I don't think WU can help you there.

    Thanks Mike,

    I can't get in with either the name or the DNS. Maybe I should have
    look at it.

    Paul

    Paul Welch, Oct 6, 2005
  4. Paul Welch

    Trax Guest

    Trax, Oct 6, 2005
  5. Paul Welch

    Mike Easter Guest

    Paul Welch wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Paul Welch wrote:
    >>
    >>> I can no longer access Weather Underground at
    >>> http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/

    >> www.wunderground.com DNS 66.28.250.176

    .... which is in cogent netspace

    whois -h whois.arin.net 66.28.250.176 ...
    OrgName: Cogent Communications
    NetRange: 66.28.0.0 - 66.28.255.255
    CIDR: 66.28.0.0/16

    >> There is definitely a network connectivity problem going on for some
    >> people as this graphic^1 and story^2 by cnet indicate

    .... and cogent and level3 are right in the big middle of the problem;
    that is, cogent and level3 aren't communicating with each other. See
    http://status.cogentco.com/ and http://www.internetpulse.com/

    >> Your friends have different connectivity.

    > I can't get in with either the name or the DNS. Maybe I should have
    > look at it.

    I would expect your routing out of cfl.rr.com to involve level3 -- so
    you aren't going to access a cogent webpage until this little brouhaha
    is over.

    Piece of a tracert routing level3 & cfl.rr.com

    9 (ROADRUNNER.car1.Orlando1.Level3.net ok)
    10 (pos6-0.orldfldvsn-rtr3.cfl.rr.com ok)

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 6, 2005
  6. Paul Welch

    TJ Guest

    In news:43457958$0$59303$,
    Mike Easter <> typed:

    > Paul Welch wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> www.wunderground.com DNS 66.28.250.176

    > ... which is in cogent netspace
    >
    > whois -h whois.arin.net 66.28.250.176 ...
    > OrgName: Cogent Communications
    > NetRange: 66.28.0.0 - 66.28.255.255
    > CIDR: 66.28.0.0/16
    >
    >>> There is definitely a network connectivity problem going on for some
    >>> people as this graphic^1 and story^2 by cnet indicate

    > ... and cogent and level3 are right in the big middle of the problem;
    > that is, cogent and level3 aren't communicating with each other. See
    > http://status.cogentco.com/ and http://www.internetpulse.com/
    >
    >>> Your friends have different connectivity.

    >> I can't get in with either the name or the DNS. Maybe I should have
    >> look at it.

    > I would expect your routing out of cfl.rr.com to involve level3 -- so
    > you aren't going to access a cogent webpage until this little brouhaha
    > is over.
    >
    > Piece of a tracert routing level3 & cfl.rr.com
    >
    > 9 (ROADRUNNER.car1.Orlando1.Level3.net ok)
    > 10 (pos6-0.orldfldvsn-rtr3.cfl.rr.com ok)

    Oh for heaven's sake. Network flame-wars wherein they "plonked" each-other?
    ROFL

    TJ, Oct 6, 2005
  7. Paul Welch

    Paul Welch Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Paul Welch wrote:
    >
    >>Mike Easter wrote:

    >>>www.wunderground.com DNS 66.28.250.176

    > ... which is in cogent netspace
    >
    > whois -h whois.arin.net 66.28.250.176 ...
    > OrgName: Cogent Communications
    > NetRange: 66.28.0.0 - 66.28.255.255
    > CIDR: 66.28.0.0/16
    >

    >>>There is definitely a network connectivity problem going on for some
    >>>people as this graphic^1 and story^2 by cnet indicate

    > ... and cogent and level3 are right in the big middle of the problem;
    > that is, cogent and level3 aren't communicating with each other. See
    > http://status.cogentco.com/ and http://www.internetpulse.com/
    >

    >>>Your friends have different connectivity.

    >>I can't get in with either the name or the DNS. Maybe I should have
    >> look at it.

    > I would expect your routing out of cfl.rr.com to involve level3 -- so
    > you aren't going to access a cogent webpage until this little brouhaha
    > is over.
    >
    > Piece of a tracert routing level3 & cfl.rr.com
    >
    > 9 (ROADRUNNER.car1.Orlando1.Level3.net ok)
    > 10 (pos6-0.orldfldvsn-rtr3.cfl.rr.com ok)

    Mike,

    How did you do this:
    whois -h whois.arin.net 66.28.250.176 ...

    and how did you do this:
    9 (ROADRUNNER.car1.Orlando1.Level3.net ok)
    > 10 (pos6-0.orldfldvsn-rtr3.cfl.rr.com ok)

    My tracert doesn't come out like yours.
    doesn't say Level3 or rtr3.rr.cfl.rr.com

    Thanks
    Paul

    Paul Welch, Oct 7, 2005
  8. Paul Welch

    Paul Welch Guest

    Paul Welch wrote:

    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> Paul Welch wrote:

    >> ... which is in cogent netspace
    >>
    >> whois -h whois.arin.net 66.28.250.176 ...
    >> OrgName: Cogent Communications
    >> NetRange: 66.28.0.0 - 66.28.255.255
    >> CIDR: 66.28.0.0/16

    >> ... and cogent and level3 are right in the big middle of the problem;
    >> that is, cogent and level3 aren't communicating with each other. See
    >> http://status.cogentco.com/ and http://www.internetpulse.com/

    >>> I can't get in with either the name or the DNS. Maybe I should have
    >>> look at it.

    >> I would expect your routing out of cfl.rr.com to involve level3 -- so
    >> you aren't going to access a cogent webpage until this little brouhaha
    >> is over.
    >>
    >> Piece of a tracert routing level3 & cfl.rr.com
    >>
    >> 9 (ROADRUNNER.car1.Orlando1.Level3.net ok)
    >> 10 (pos6-0.orldfldvsn-rtr3.cfl.rr.com ok)

    > Mike,
    >
    > How did you do this:
    > whois -h whois.arin.net 66.28.250.176 ...
    >
    > and how did you do this:
    > 9 (ROADRUNNER.car1.Orlando1.Level3.net ok)
    > > 10 (pos6-0.orldfldvsn-rtr3.cfl.rr.com ok)

    > My tracert doesn't come out like yours.
    > doesn't say Level3 or rtr3.rr.cfl.rr.com
    >
    > Thanks
    > Paul
    > Mike,

    While trying my Tracert I just realized theymost have fixed the problem
    as I completed okay.
    Sure enough, just tried my Weather Underground site and its finally working.

    Still would like to know how you did:
    >whois -h whois.arin.net 66.28.250.176 ...< Is part of Tracert?

    Thanks for all your help
    Paul

    Paul Welch, Oct 7, 2005
  9. Paul Welch

    Mike Easter Guest

    Paul Welch wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> whois -h whois.arin.net 66.28.250.176 ...
    >> OrgName: Cogent Communications
    >> NetRange: 66.28.0.0 - 66.28.255.255
    >> CIDR: 66.28.0.0/16

    >> I would expect your routing out of cfl.rr.com to involve level3 -- so
    >> you aren't going to access a cogent webpage until this little
    >> brouhaha is over.
    >>
    >> Piece of a tracert routing level3 & cfl.rr.com
    >>
    >> 9 (ROADRUNNER.car1.Orlando1.Level3.net ok)
    >> 10 (pos6-0.orldfldvsn-rtr3.cfl.rr.com ok)

    > How did you do this:
    > whois -h whois.arin.net 66.28.250.176 ...

    There are many ways to do that. I use a console for Win, SamSpade for
    Win http://samspade.org/ssw/ Sam Spade for Windows

    but you could use an online tool such as the SS online
    http://samspade.org -- or personally I like the online tools at dnsstuff
    http://www.dnsstuff.com/

    > and how did you do this:
    > 9 (ROADRUNNER.car1.Orlando1.Level3.net ok)
    > > 10 (pos6-0.orldfldvsn-rtr3.cfl.rr.com ok)

    The problem/weakness of any tracert or traceroute is that it only
    reflects what shows up in the hops which answer and reflects those hops
    which answer that type of packet and the hops which answer that type of
    packet between the packet sender and the target.

    > My tracert doesn't come out like yours.
    > doesn't say Level3 or rtr3.rr.cfl.rr.com

    I used a demonstration tracert which would reflect what I wanted to say.
    I chose to tracert between my IP's gateway and your own IP.which I
    figgered was a typical RR cable IP. My own infrastructure belongs to
    TW, so if I ping from myself to you, it starts with TW infrastructure
    [which is RR] and then it might or might not hop over to EL EarthLink
    routing agreements which are different from RR routing agreements which
    typically belong to AOL once they get out of the infrastructure and then
    it would get back into the TW/RR infrastructure all over again.

    When /you/ tracert, you have to pick something to tracert from. The
    tracert echoes can be very different from my own. There are problems
    with tracerouting to find out about peering and routing arrangements.

    Maybe I should have used a different tack. Let's take your IP
    68.204.170.143 rDNS 143.170.204.68.cfl.res.rr.com and work it up without
    using tracert.

    If we ascertain its ASN from radb or cymru we see that it is ASN13343 or
    debatably ASN10994. The 13343 is a RR, the 10994 is a TW. Then, we
    check the upstream adjacencies for those

    The upstream adjacency for the RR 13343 is AS3356 level3 and/or the
    upstream adjacency for the TW 10994 is similarly AS3356 level3 -- so
    that is all much more 'conclusive' about the routing situation that some
    'silly' traceroute from some particular IP to some other particular IP
    which is very variable depending upon many things including who feels
    like answering such packets.

    That is, the 'evidence' for your level3 routing to anywhere is
    overwhelming, regardless of any particular tracert.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 7, 2005
  10. Paul Welch

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Barry OGrady, Oct 7, 2005
  11. Paul Welch

    Mike Easter Guest

    Paul Welch wrote:

    > While trying my Tracert I just realized theymost have fixed the
    > problem
    > as I completed okay.

    Pretty neat, huh? The completion reflects the connectivity in this
    case.

    > Sure enough, just tried my Weather Underground site and its finally
    > working.

    Good.

    > Still would like to know how you did:
    > >whois -h whois.arin.net 66.28.250.176 ...< Is part of Tracert?

    Re part of tracert

    No no no. The whois for the IP is a query to a particular RIR of the 5
    regional internet registrars. The arin is the [North] 'American'
    registry, there are also ripe, which is Europe, Central Asia, and the
    Middle East, lacnic for Central America and the Caribbean, afrinic
    [now/new] for Africa, and apnic for Asia Pacific.

    A query to the particular RIR for an IP shows the netblock of the
    Internet Assigned Numbers Authority IANA which has authority over all
    number spaces used in the Internet. That way you can see where an IP
    'belongs'

    As opposed to the business of tracerouting which is a 'crude' way of
    looking at the echoing hops of those spots which choose to echo the
    handling of a particular packet from one point to another.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 7, 2005
  12. Paul Welch

    Mike Easter Guest

    oops

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > lacnic for Central America and the Caribbean,

    lacnic for /South/ America and the Caribbean.

    <in fact, Mexico, .mx, is /geographically/ part of North America the
    continent, but it is part of lacnic the RiR for '[Central] South America
    & caribe>

    The assortment of country codes and their RIRs can be seen here
    http://www.nro.net/about/rir-areas.html List of Country Codes and RIRs

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 7, 2005
  13. Paul Welch

    Plato Guest

    Barry OGrady wrote:

    > That's normal. The weather is only above ground.

    Ever been caving?

    Some caves have streams within that are fed by the lake above or even
    miles away. When the temperature of the lake changes with the seasons so
    does the weather in the cave.

    eg sometimes the humidity changes quite a bit.

    Plato, Oct 7, 2005
  14. Paul Welch

    Paul Welch Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > The upstream adjacency for the RR 13343 is AS3356 level3 and/or the
    > upstream adjacency for the TW 10994 is similarly AS3356 level3 -- so
    > that is all much more 'conclusive' about the routing situation that some
    > 'silly' traceroute from some particular IP to some other particular IP
    > which is very variable depending upon many things including who feels
    > like answering such packets.
    >
    > That is, the 'evidence' for your level3 routing to anywhere is
    > overwhelming, regardless of any particular tracert.

    Mike,

    Thanks for the info. I will check it out later in the day.
    Weather Underground is still working here so I'm very happy.
    I had no idea about the complexities of the Internet.

    Thanks again
    Paul

    Paul Welch, Oct 7, 2005
  15. Paul Welch

    Charles J. Borum

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Weather Underground

    Paul
    I had same problem. Had installed Googles accelerate program yesterday. it change my connection preferences to use a script. I did not see this but found it when I could not log on Weather Underground.

    Fixed problem by removing Google download and re set my connectivity.

    Charles J. Borum, Aug 29, 2006