    such, Internet Explorer opens to a "page cannot be displayed" error.

    --
    Spin

    Spin, Jul 27, 2009

  2. Spin

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: "Spin" <>
    wrote:

    > ... Because I've done so on the wireless access point
    > here at my brother's yet the little network icon in the bottom
    > right-hand corner of the screen keeps saying "acquiring network
    > address" and never actually does.

    Does your brother's AP have the DHCP server running, or is he using
    static addressing?

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Jul 27, 2009

  3. Spin

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 12:22:01 -0400, "Spin" <> wrote:

    >Gurus,
    >
    >When signing onto a wireless access point which is secured (locked), do I
    >simply need to provide it the encryption password to gain access to the
    >Internet? Because I've done so on the wireless access point here at my
    >brother's yet the little network icon in the bottom right-hand corner of the
    >screen keeps saying "acquiring network address" and never actually does. As
    >such, Internet Explorer opens to a "page cannot be displayed" error.

    Have you asked your brother how his WAP is configured? There's a bunch
    of different ways a AP can be configured, or a combination thereof:
    Password
    MAC Filtering
    Static IP
    DHCP

    You may need to assign yourself an IP address. Or, if your brother has
    MAC Filtering enabled, he may need to add your MAC address to the list
    of approved devices. And then, he may need to assign your MAC address
    a IP address. Or, you may need to assign yourself a static IP address.

    Evan Platt, Jul 27, 2009
  4. Spin

    Spin Guest

    "Bert Hyman" <> wrote in message
    > Does your brother's AP have the DHCP server running, or is he using
    > static addressing?

    I'll check..

    Spin, Jul 27, 2009
  5. Spin

    chuckcar Guest

    "Spin" <> wrote in

    > Gurus,
    >
    > When signing onto a wireless access point which is secured (locked), do
    > I simply need to provide it the encryption password to gain access to
    > the Internet? Because I've done so on the wireless access point here at
    > my brother's yet the little network icon in the bottom right-hand corner
    > of the screen keeps saying "acquiring network address" and never
    > actually does. As such, Internet Explorer opens to a "page cannot be
    > displayed" error.

    Remove your router and try again.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 27, 2009
  6. Spin

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 22:41:59 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Remove your router and try again.

    Please ignore chucktards 'advice'.

    Evan Platt, Jul 28, 2009
  7. Spin

    M.L. Guest

    >> When signing onto a wireless access point which is secured (locked), do I
    >> simply need to provide it the encryption password to gain access to the
    >> Internet? Because I've done so on the wireless access point here at my
    >> brother's yet the little network icon in the bottom right-hand corner of
    >> the screen keeps saying "acquiring network address" and never actually
    >> does. As such, Internet Explorer opens to a "page cannot be displayed"
    >> error.

    >go into the advanced area find the list of all networks ever connected to
    >and delete the rubbish ones, also delete your brothers on restare give it a
    >couple of minutest to sort it all out try again it will work if info entered
    >is correct

    Check the encryption type and see if a mac ID is needed, then set them
    as necessary to add your account. Let the brother delete any accounts
    if needed.

    M.L., Jul 28, 2009
  8. Spin

    Spin Guest

    "M.L." <> wrote in message
    >snipped>

    Bert/Evan/Chuckar/mjsutton/M.L.-

    I figured out my issue. I was an idiot. I was inputting the router's
    password instead of the encryption key value into the field asking for that
    information!

    Spin, Jul 31, 2009
  9. Spin

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 19:21:02 -0400, "Spin" <> wrote:

    >Bert/Evan/Chuckar/mjsutton/M.L.-
    >
    >I figured out my issue. I was an idiot. I was inputting the router's
    >password instead of the encryption key value into the field asking for that
    >information!

    Glad you got it figured out... And glad you didn't follow chucktards
    advice. As you realized, it was useless and incorrect.

    Evan Platt, Jul 31, 2009
  10. Spin

    Spin Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > Glad you got it figured out... And glad you didn't follow chucktards
    > advice. As you realized, it was useless and incorrect.

    :)

    Spin, Jul 31, 2009