    causing this problem?

    Thanks,
    -Albert

    Albert Ferrero, Feb 9, 2004

  2. Albert Ferrero

    Root Guest

    > I have trouble accessing the internet if I try to connect my
    laptop to the
    > modem directly. It simply doesn't work. However, if I hook up my laptop to
    > my gateway router I have no trouble accessing the internet. What could be
    > causing this problem?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -Albert

    Foe me, I needed to set the proxy when using my modem dial up backup
    plan for my broadband.

    Root, Feb 9, 2004

  3. Albert Ferrero

    dark elf Guest

    "Albert Ferrero" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have trouble accessing the internet if I try to connect my laptop to the
    > modem directly. It simply doesn't work. However, if I hook up my laptop to
    > my gateway router I have no trouble accessing the internet. What could be
    > causing this problem?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -Albert
    >
    > Make sure you are using the nic cable provided by your isp to go from the

    computer to the modem. There are two different types of nic cables,
    straight and crossover they are not interchangeable. Check your tcp/ip
    settings, your router may require a specified ip adress whereas your direct
    connect to the modem may be obtained automatically. Just a couple of tips,
    hope it helps.

    dark elf, Feb 9, 2004
  4. Albert Ferrero

    Boomer Guest

    dark elf wrote:
    > "Albert Ferrero" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I have trouble accessing the internet if I try to connect my laptop
    >> to the modem directly. It simply doesn't work. However, if I hook up
    >> my laptop to my gateway router I have no trouble accessing the
    >> internet. What could be causing this problem?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> -Albert
    >>
    >> Make sure you are using the nic cable provided by your isp to go
    >> from the

    > computer to the modem. There are two different types of nic cables,
    > straight and crossover they are not interchangeable. Check your
    > tcp/ip settings, your router may require a specified ip adress
    > whereas your direct connect to the modem may be obtained
    > automatically. Just a couple of tips, hope it helps.

    'don't put your reply after the ">"'

    'don't reply after the ">".'

    Other boonmer nazi gems...

    (time zone, adjust... 445 results for author "boomer" in ng
    24hoursupport.helpdesk)
    ("can't help"... 189 results for author "boomer" in ng
    24hoursupport.helpdesk)
    ("spam report"... 209 results for author "boomer" in ng
    24hoursupport.helpdesk)

    "do you own the domain 'nowhere.com'? If not... the spam meant for you is
    going to this domain"

    "You are posting with a valid domain. "Invalid.com" Please don't do that.
    They are gettin spam meant for you."

    "unless you own the somewhere.com domain..... you are using someone anothers
    domain in your address. You should change it if that domain is not yours"

    "please use your very own domain"

    "You are still abusing a valid domain!"

    "All spam meant for you is going to that domain. You are abusing that
    domain!"

    "don't use a valid domain in your addy."

    "You are using their domain, in your address, without their permission."

    "Stop using a domain that is NOT yours!"

    "Quit using a valid domain name in your address"

    "Do Not abuse a valid domain"

    "Use an INVALID domain name!!!!!"

    "PLEASE use an INVALID domain!!!!! You don't own nothpole.org???"

    "The POINT IS that my-deja.com is a valid domain and YOU are using it!"

    "don't answer."

    "don't post the mp3 to the requests group"

    "don't jusmp in the middle of another thread"

    "don't start a new thread."

    "Please don't start new threads"

    "don't start a new thread"

    "don't post under the delimiter"

    "don't change the subject line"

    "don't change the subject line"

    "don't post the same message twice"

    "don't get frustrated."

    "don't start a new thread with the same question"

    "don't repost the same question an hour later."

    "don't start a new thread about the same problem(s)."

    "don't start your subject line with "Re"."

    "Don't post binaries to a non-binary newsgroup!"

    "DON'T start new messages about the same problem
    that you are working on"

    "don't put 'RE' in the subject line"

    "don't post the same message a second time."

    "don't post in all caps."

    "don't use HTLM in your sig."

    "don't change the subject line"

    "don't start a new thread"

    "don't use HTML here."

    "don't start your subject line with 'Re'"

    "don't repost spam."

    "don't repost the HTML!!!!!"

    "don't repost your question again."

    "don't post again."

    "don't feed the troll."

    "DON'T post a binary to a non-binary group."

    "don't post with your Caps Lock key on."

    "don't use HTML in a plain text news group."

    "I can't help you but can suggest that ..."

    "I can't help you there."

    "Sorry I can't help"

    "I can't help with your problem but I can suggest ..."

    "Hi I don't use Agent. So I can't help but ..."

    "I don't know how OE works so I can't help you ..."

    "Sorry I can't help you with saving text and a graphic in Word."

    "Hi I can't help with your question but ..."

    "Sorry I can't help with "rules" if you use IE/OE"

    "I use Mozilla so I can't help you out."

    "Can't help you here. I Do Not like anything Norton."

    "I can't help with your problem. It may take a month until someone can
    answer you though."

    "I don't use ZA or AVG and can't help with your questions."

    "Not sure how RAM booster works. So I can't help you there."

    "Could you please adjust your Time Zone settings? You are posting from the
    future."

    "Could you please adjust your Time Zone settings? You are posting in the
    future."

    "And could you please adjust your Clock/Time Zone settings?"

    "Could you please adjust your Clock/Time Zone settings?"

    "Could you please adjust your Time Zone settings?"

    "Hello Could you please adjust your Clock/Time Zone settings?"

    "Hi Could you please adjust your Time Zone settings?"

    "Norman Could you please adjust your Time Zone settings?"

    "Spam report id 390702184 sent to: "

    "Spam report id 370272916 sent to: "

    "Spam report id 424845025 sent to: "

    Boomer, Feb 9, 2004
  5. Hi all,

    Thanks for your suggestions, let me make a few additions to my original
    post. I have a static IP to connect to the internet. Normally, my laptop, as
    well as other computers on my network, have no problem accessing the
    internet when they are connected to my Linksys gateway router. Lately, I've
    been trying to use the DMZ feature on the router so that my laptop can be
    exposed to the internet. Everytime I configure the router to use my laptop's
    IP as DMZ and turn off the ZoneAlarm firewall on my laptop and go to a site
    that scans my ports it says that most of them are stealth (shields up). It
    essentially gives me the same result as if I didn't configure the DMZ at
    all. I know that ZoneAlarm is off because if I use a software port scanner
    on the laptop IP it tells me I have some ports open, but if I test the
    static IP it says none are open. At first I thought that perhaps it was the
    router, that maybe it just wasn't working right, so I set up another
    computer on my network as DMZ and it works fine. When I go to a website to
    scan my ports it tells me that some are open. When I try to configure my
    laptop to directly access the internet, meaning I plug it directly into the
    DSL modem using the same cable that connects the modem to the router, and
    configure Windows XP with the proper static IP and settings it won't give me
    access to the internet. Every site I go to times out and I can't ping my
    service provider gateway IP or DNS IPs (something I am able to do if it's
    connected through the router). Any suggestions or thoughts as to why this is
    happening?

    Thanks,
    -Albert

    Albert Ferrero, Feb 9, 2004