    saves, videos and snapshot pictures that I can not retrieve. I tried the "How
    to Take Ownership of a File or Folder" approach, but that didn't work, nor
    did enabling sharing of the folder. I hope someone can help me.

    =?Utf-8?B?QXVyYQ==?=, Nov 19, 2006

  2. Aura wrote:
    > Hello. I recently installed Win XP x64 on a new hdd. I have all my Oblivion
    > folders on my old hdd under my old user name. That user profile has a
    > password, and I get a "access denied" whenever I try to explore any folder
    > under that profile name. I know my old password of course, nevertheless, I
    > can't get around the "acess denied" message. I have all my Oblivion game
    > saves, videos and snapshot pictures that I can not retrieve. I tried the "How
    > to Take Ownership of a File or Folder" approach, but that didn't work, nor
    > did enabling sharing of the folder. I hope someone can help me.

    If you hadn't encrypted the data files (which could not have been
    done with WinXP Home), you may be facing nothing more than a simple
    permissions issue. Have you tried taking ownership of the old folders?

    HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in WinXP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308421

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Nov 19, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?QXVyYQ==?=

    Nut Cracker Guest

    "Bruce Chambers" <3t> wrote in message
    > Aura wrote:
    >> Hello. I recently installed Win XP x64 on a new hdd. I have all my
    >> Oblivion folders on my old hdd under my old user name. That user profile
    >> has a password, and I get a "access denied" whenever I try to explore any
    >> folder under that profile name. I know my old password of course,
    >> nevertheless, I can't get around the "acess denied" message. I have all
    >> my Oblivion game saves, videos and snapshot pictures that I can not
    >> retrieve. I tried the "How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder"
    >> approach, but that didn't work, nor did enabling sharing of the folder. I
    >> hope someone can help me.

    > If you hadn't encrypted the data files (which could not have been done
    > with WinXP Home), you may be facing nothing more than a simple permissions
    > issue. Have you tried taking ownership of the old folders?
    >
    > HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in WinXP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308421
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers

    Bruce ... he said he tried the 'take owner of a file or folder' approach

    do you read the OP post, or just skim and repond ?

    Nut Cracker, Nov 19, 2006
  4. Thank you Bruce Chambers and Nut Cracker. The issue is resolved. Using the
    "HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in WinXP" method is the solution
    after all. The trifle was with the Indexing Service turned off on the old
    hdd. Enabling Indexing Service on the old hdd allowed access to the
    "Security" tab, which in turn, allowed full permissions under the new user
    name.

    =?Utf-8?B?QXVyYQ==?=, Nov 19, 2006