can't access bios

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Fred, Sep 7, 2007.

  1. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Fallon wrote:

    >Have a hp comp with Asus goldfish mb running XP Pro SP2.I had a hdd blowout
    >&
    >replaced the blown one with a older one I
    >had kept .before trouble I could start comp then tap esc a few times & it
    >would show hdd's & cd/dvd drives & you could pick which to boot to also on
    >bootup I could tap f1 a few times & go into setup & pick the order of the
    >drives.Now no matter what Key I hit It just boots to the first drive in the
    >chain.
    > Any info-help will be much appreciated

    Reset the BIOS -
    Fred, Sep 7, 2007

  2. Fred

    Mike Easter Guest

    Fallon wrote:
    > Have a hp comp with Asus goldfish mb

    The way you describe a proprietary HP computer is to name its model
    number.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 7, 2007

  3. Fred

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 22:54:40 -0500, "Fallon" <>
    wrote:

    >Have a hp comp with Asus goldfish mb running XP Pro SP2.I had a hdd blowout
    >&
    >replaced the blown one with a older one I
    >had kept .before trouble I could start comp then tap esc a few times & it
    >would show hdd's & cd/dvd drives & you could pick which to boot to also on
    >bootup I could tap f1 a few times & go into setup & pick the order of the
    >drives.Now no matter what Key I hit It just boots to the first drive in the
    >chain.
    > Any info-help will be much appreciated

    My head hurts.
    Evan Platt, Sep 7, 2007
  4. Fred

    Mike Easter Guest

    Fallon wrote:
    > HP Pavalion a805n
    > Does this help ?

    I think you get into the BIOS with F1 or F10 at the HP bios 'cover'
    screen.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 7, 2007
  5. Fred

    Mike Easter Guest

    Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 23:19:44 -0500

    Voluntary clock police courtesy report -- your clock/ timezone offset is
    set wrong.

    EDT is 4 hours west of UTC, 15:20 EDT is 19:20 UTC Fri and 23:20 -0500
    is 04:20 Sat morning.

    That is, you posted your message at about 19:20 UTC, but your clock was
    set 9 hours into the future. Your posting IP looks like Richardson TX
    which would be CDT or 5 hours west of UTC. At 19:20 UTC your localtime
    should be 14:20 or 2:20 in the afternoon.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 7, 2007
  6. Fred

    Vanguard Guest

    "Fallon" <> wrote in message
    > HP Pavalion a805n

    So you're saying that you never got the manual that was included with
    this HP computer? If not then go to the vendor's web site to check if
    they provide an online copy of the manual.

    - HP's web site is at http://www.hp.com.
    - From there, click on "Support & Troubleshooting".
    - Enter your model family and number ("Pavalion a805n").
    - Click the "How to use" link.

    According to their instructions, you use F1 or Esc to get into the
    BIOS. If it isn't working for you then it is likely that you are
    hitting the keys too late.
    Vanguard, Sep 7, 2007
  7. Fred

    Drake Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:

    >On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 22:54:40 -0500, "Fallon" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Have a hp comp with Asus goldfish mb running XP Pro SP2.I had a hdd blowout
    >>&
    >>replaced the blown one with a older one I
    >>had kept .before trouble I could start comp then tap esc a few times & it
    >>would show hdd's & cd/dvd drives & you could pick which to boot to also on
    >>bootup I could tap f1 a few times & go into setup & pick the order of the
    >>drives.Now no matter what Key I hit It just boots to the first drive in the
    >>chain.
    >> Any info-help will be much appreciated

    >My head hurts.

    Don't suffer, cut it off and remove 20 pounds of ugly fat.
    Drake, Sep 7, 2007
  8. Fred

    sdlomi2 Guest

    "Fallon" <> wrote in message

    > "Fred" <> wrote in message
    >> Fallon wrote:
    >>
    >>>Have a hp comp with Asus goldfish mb running XP Pro SP2.I had a hdd
    >>>blowout
    >>>&
    >>>replaced the blown one with a older one I
    >>>had kept .before trouble I could start comp then tap esc a few times & it
    >>>would show hdd's & cd/dvd drives & you could pick which to boot to also
    >>>on
    >>>bootup I could tap f1 a few times & go into setup & pick the order of the
    >>>drives.Now no matter what Key I hit It just boots to the first drive in
    >>>the
    >>>chain.
    >>> Any info-help will be much appreciated

    >> Reset the BIOS -

    > Good advice but how do you reset the bios ?

    Hey Fallon. Turn computer off. (Practice this next method a couple of
    times before you reboot.) Using back side of your hand and nails, "rake" F1
    through F5 with the back of the fingernail [ in backwards direction ] that
    is most comfortable. Press "Start" button. Immediately after pressing it,
    begin "raking" the keys mentioned above--do this repeatedly as the computer
    begins and continues with the boot process, ignoring any beeps it may
    cause(often none). When the Setup screen appears, you may cease the
    "raking"; computer will continue into & stop in the Setup mode. HTH, and
    try to remember this procedure, as it works so well, esp. on unknown,
    undocumented computers. Should this fail, simply tap on the "Delete" key AS
    SOON AS YOU PRESS the "Start" button, and keep tapping thru boot process
    until you see the "Setup" screen. If one knows the proper bios/setup
    button, remember to use the tapping procedure on that button, but start
    tapping as SOON AS the Start button is pressed. sam

    Fallon, Sep 8, 2007
  10. Fred

    Fallon Guest

    HP Pavalion a805n